• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Correct twist rate for the Aguila 60 grain SSS round?

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Anyone know the correct twist for the 60 grain Aguila rimfire round? I am going to order a barrel to shoot them.

Thanks,

RTH

I had no problem using a 1:16 455 Lilja.
    No tumbling/keyholing all the way out to 200 yards.
    Bore finish may be why.

Not the best quality rimfire ammo I've tried.

1:9 is correct.
    I’ve got a Lilja in my 77/22. I’m happy with it.

I had no problem using a 1:16 455 Lilja.
    No tumbling/keyholing all the way out to 200 yards.
    Bore finish may be why.

Not the best quality rimfire ammo I've tried.
    Is there any sense in buying a barrel for the Aguila 60grainers?
    I can even change my barrel in ~30 seconds.

But do they have an edge over some distance or shooting condition (wind) that makes it worthwhile option?

I am rather suspicious. If there were 60gr SK, Eley or Lapua ammo it would give some interesting advantange. But I am under the impression that Aguila does not finish their product to same standards.

Is there any sense in buying a barrel for the Aguila 60grainers?
    I can even change my barrel in ~30 seconds.

But do they have an edge over some distance or shooting condition (wind) that makes it worthwhile option?

I am rather suspicious. If there were 60gr SK, Eley or Lapua ammo it would give some interesting advantange. But I am under the impression that Aguila does not finish their product to same standards.
    They do not stabilize in my standard 16 twist barrels.
    I am looking for subsonic energy, not accuracy. This load is always subsonic and hits very hard. Perfect for my varmint removal. If it shoots 2 MOA it will still be the round of choice.

They do not stabilize in my standard 16 twist barrels.
    I am looking for subsonic energy, not accuracy. This load is always subsonic and hits very hard. Perfect for my varmint removal. If it shoots 2 MOA it will still be the round of choice.
    I see. It indeed surely make a different whack than the 40gr ones. Too bad the accuracy is not there.

I am not sure the accuracy is that bad. ??
    It is not accurate beyond the range of stabilization. I am not expecting Eley tenex accuracy. I think in a good barrel with the correct twist it should shoot MOA to 50 yards. I will write it up once the Bartlien gets here and fitted.

I have done a bit of testing in a Ruger Mk two pistol recently. It is the Gov't Model 6 5/8" barrel. The pistol was new in box with test target and is stunningly accurate with any good ammo I have shot. From what I read the standard Mk II is twisted at 14". The Gov't model is at 15" and one other target model is at 1/16 but I cannot recall which. Also I will not state for certain that the other twist are correct. Just what I see on the 'net.
    Pics to follow.

698A461F-1A2B-493D-AC67-6F453303ACA0.jpeg

6 shots at 100 yards with the 60 grain ammo. All holes appear round. This Ruger is reported to have a 1/15” twist barrel. At any rate, it’s working well.

I have a 15in Match Grade Machine .22lr match chamber 1:10 twist made from a Shilen barrel blank 4-groove Ratchet Rifling on a TC Encore. I had it made specifically to shoot suppressed Aguila SSS subsonics. It is generally MOA to 100y with 60gr SSS. Different suppressors seem to change accuracy but I haven’t tested enough to know why.

Last edited:
    Reactions: RTH1800
    Back around 2005, I had volquartsen make me a 10/22 barrel for these rounds. Twist was 1:9. I did some relatively extensive testing with various guns and discovered that a 1:16 twist rifle with a 24” barrel would keyhole 50% or more of the shots but would still sit around 1.5 MOA at 50 yards. A 1:15 pistol with a 6” barrel would keyhole about 10% of the time for me. Accuracy was tolerable but not great. The 1:9 twist 20” barrel worked great for the SSS, but it was absolute garbage for any lighter rounds. As such, I would highly recommend a longer barrel if you want to shoot regular ammo in it as well.

Sharpshot50, when you said...... The 1:9 twist 20” barrel worked great for the SSS, but it was absolute garbage for any lighter rounds. As such, I would highly recommend a longer barrel if you want to shoot regular ammo in it as well.
    My questions are:

1. When you said "The 1:9 twist 20" barrel worked great for the 60 grain SSS, would you elaborate on how great ?
    Will it consistently hit a 1" target at 100 yards with that 1:9 twist 20" barrel ? If not, what about a 2 inch target at 100 yards ?

2. When you said.... "the SSS round was absolute garbage for lighter rounds. As such I would highly recommend a longer barrel if you want to shoot regular ammo as well." Question, compared to a 16 inch barrel, isn't your 20 inch barrel a long barrel for a 22LR ?

Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful replies

I do not own one but I have understood that SSS works better with 1/9 twist and a special chamber.

This combo may not work so well with other cartridges.

When it comes to lighter rounds, has anyone tested slower rounds like Pistol King with these?

Hey! It says sniper on the box don't it?:unsure:
    That means it should be a precision cartridge shouldn't it?
    Aguila wouldn't lie, would they? o_O

I avoid commenting on anything unless I try it first.
    I sent 2 boxes at 200 yards across a chronograph.
    Visual inspection showed dents, dings and bullet material compressed down past the crimp onto the brass.
    The chrony spit out the numbers and they match the vertical spread on the targets.
    Sorry ya'll, that's crap ammo. (n)

RT, I've tried all of the 22lr, 22wmr Aguila product line.
    They all show minimum quality control at the factory.
    Dents, dings, poorly assembled cartridges, large ES, it's all cheap bulk ammo.
    Really not impressed with their rimfire ammunition, can ya' tell? ;)

I suppose ya' could end up with a decent box or two.
    They can't get it wrong all the time.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :whistle:

I always wondered how in earth the dings end up into the bullets.
    It could be the reason is they are piled and then moved from one spot to another with a truck or something.

Reactions: 4Certain
    Justin,
    You know I just like quizzing you. I respect the testing you do.
    My two projects For this ammo will be here this week. I will report and possibly post up a “wallet group” or two. 😁

No worries RT.
    I'm easily entertained.
    Half the fun around here is seeing just how snarky the replies can be. It's like hanging out with my family.
    If ya' ain't being insulted and verbally abused when ya' show up, best be coming up with an effective exit strategy. :D

Reactions: ZG47A and RTH1800
    Shot the Ruger yesterday. It’s now set up with integrally suppressed barrel. A friend was spotting for me. My interest was if bullets were stabilized. After 3 shots he said “stop, you need to see this.”
    First 3 shots at 100 yards. Iron sights. So, the 15 twist is stabilizing the SSS ammo.
    Going to test a Bartlien 14 twist in KIDD as soon as it returns from LRI.
    Will shoot and report on both more extensively when time permits.

so
    A201B285-ECDE-44DB-BD99-6137939AD54C.jpeg

Calling @ justin amateur to view wallet. group. :)

Bear in mind that the above posted groups are the only ones I have shot with the Ruger so far. They are not selected. I think this combo has promise. I do not expect the results to be as good as initial testing but I do think 6" 100 yard groups are likely and will serve my purpose.

Nothing wrong with wallet groups RT.
    It's that "all day long" bs that makes me froggy. ;)

Thanks, me as well. Also if a guy shoots 10 and selects one it’s not representative of overall groups.
    We were pressed for time. I will shoot 5 10 shot groups and post them up once I get time. The important thing to me was bullets stabilized.

@justinamature
    Herewith some LIMITED DATA.
    LRI finished up my 14 twist Bartlien barrel at 20”
    With the 60 grain ammo Aguila ammo.
    10 shots
    959H
    929L
    940AV
    30 ES
    8 SD
    BULLETS SEEMED STABLE ON BERM.
    Very windy so no accuracy data yet. More data soon.

Reactions: Near miss
    If you put a fast twist barrel on a suppressed blowback 10/22 for SSS ammo, the noise will come out of the breech when the action opens. No amount of fooling with bolt mass and spring force can find a spot that does not jam and does not go bang out the breech with those short cases.
    Fast twist in a bolt action is a different story.

If you put a fast twist barrel on a suppressed blowback 10/22 for SSS ammo, the noise will come out of the breech when the action opens. No amount of fooling with bolt mass and spring force can find a spot that does not jam and does not go bang out the breech with those short cases.
    Fast twist in a bolt action is a different story.
    Not having this issue at all with my 14 twist Bartlien on my KIDD 10/22 or my Ruger pistol with a 14 twist either. . Any idea what twist rate it begins to show up?

We've used the Aguila 60 grain SSS to shoot hogs for butcher. They do hit hard compared to your average 40 grain.

I finally shot the KIDD with Bartlien 14 twist barrel.
    groups at 50 yards were 5/8” for 10 shots average of 4 groups.
    at 100 yards it was 2.5 mils low and groups were 2.5”.
    Not target accuracy but more than adequate for my use.