• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

correct way to sell guns via FFL???

Blasst

Sergeant
Minuteman
wasn't sure where to post this.......

When selling a used gun to someone across the country...do you have your own FFL involved....or just the buyers?

I've been lucky and always sold locally. Just recorded their ID or handgun permit info on a form and filed it to cover my ass.

jim

Re: correct way to sell guns via FFL???

Pretty sure you have to ship it to an FFL in their state to transfer to them. I just shipped one from ID to CO and thats all I had to do. Your state could be different though but Id find it odd to have an FFL at both ends.

can be done either way but depends on the buyers FFL- some FFL's will not take a transfer from an private party so you will have to send from your FFL. If the buyers FFL will accept from a private individual then you can send directly to the buyers FFL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can be done either way but depends on the buyers FFL- some FFL's will not take a transfer from an private party so you will have to send from your FFL. If the buyers FFL will accept from a private individual then you can send directly to the buyers FFL </div></div>

thanks...I had wondered about that. So you or the buyer have to call the buyers FFL and check....then you incur double fees??? ... you pay on both ends??

The only state that I have had issues with thus far was Massachusetts as I had to send it through a dealer in VA (cost me $35) and then send it to a dealer in Mass where the guy buying it had to pay his transfer fee. I have dealt with lots of dealers from normal states and they accepted the weapon from me (non ffl) and did the transfer for the individual that was buying it (buyer pays the transfer fee).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've been lucky and always sold locally. Just recorded their ID or handgun permit info on a form and filed it to cover my ass.

jim </div></div>

i don't understand what you are protecting yourself from by recording the buyers of private sales personal information. the beauty of the local FTF private sale is that crap is not necessary. not a good idea, IMO, and i would not allow it as a buyer. if you wish to "cover your ass" go through a FFL and do it right.

but if you are shipping a handgun, it may be easier to go FFL to FFL and go to the post office with a copy of both FFLs and the handgun packed in a flat rate box, with a copy of your FFLs license (signed in ink) enclosed with the handgun. our local PO is used to this and don't make it difficult.

Yeah Massachusetts is a pain in the ass, thank god I live 10 minutes south in Connecticut. The buyer should just check with their FFL to see if they will accept from a private then let you know. If it would make you feel better you could always give their FFL dealer a call to double check that its all good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

jim </div></div>

i don't understand what you are protecting yourself from by recording the buyers of private sales personal information. the beauty of the local FTF private sale is that crap is not necessary. not a good idea, IMO, and i would not allow it as a buyer.

</div></div>

I originally did it that way under advice from an attorney. Then later I noticed it is quite common and you will see the statement in classified ads for used guns..."must have valid drivers license or handgun permit." If the buyer doesn't like it they can buy elsewhere in my opinion.

i have NEVER seen that requirement from a FTF sale. but then again, we do this all the time here in my AO and don't make it any harder than we have to...

yep...no requirements in Texas either. People do try to cover their backs here if they don't like prison. You never know when a knock on the door could be the cops and a gun registered to you was used in a crime.....shit happens.

Check with the post office rules and Regs. I'm not sure they allow shipping of handguns. Frd-ex or UPS. States vary about transfers. check your state laws about transfering. All states require shipping TO an FFl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yep...no requirements in Texas either. People do try to cover their backs here if they don't like prison. You never know when a knock on the door could be the cops and a gun registered to you was used in a crime.....shit happens. </div></div>

so you "register" guns in TX?

sparks1, the USPS does allow you to ship handguns. you have to ship FFL to FFL, and they will need a photo copy of both FFLs. they sometimes make you fill out a form, but all in all, the USPS is the most efficient way to send a handgun IMO.