• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

correcting runout....after all is said and done

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
I have found plenty of info (search bar is great) on correcting runout DURING the reloading process. What I cant find is any way to effectively correct when i have one or two thousandths of runout AFTER the reloading process in my finished round.

If I have missed any obvious threads that cover this please link them here, I would gladly appreciate it.

You and me are in the same boat. Everything basically comes down to "yep after all is said and done, you have some runout......enjoy shooting"

There's some things I wont do for my reloading practices. Measuring runout, unforming flash holes are in that category. I neck size in my Lee Collet Die, turn casing about 180* and press in again. I partially seat the bullet, then turn the cartridge about 180* then finish seating. That's the extent of my steps that allegedly reduce runout.

But then I found this today. Feast your eyes on it.......

Runout correction tool for loaded ammo.

So I didn't really read all the instructions fully... but it seems you use that "tool" to literally bend the case neck/bullet into alignment with the case body? Lol.
That's kind of what I'm seeing. So, you'll need to know exactly where the location of the runout is, then physically bend it straight. But..... the problem is.... is the concentricity issue in the case neck? Or the bullet seated within the case neck? If you apply force to the wrong part you could make your concentric issue worse.

Yeah its not very scientific, and even if by some trial and error you were able to "correct" some of the runout and end up with less runout than you started with - I would be concerned about stresses you just applied to the case body/neck, and how that would just be another inconsistency between one cartridge and the next.

I imagine using a tool like this would just be asking for a headache.

This is what you are looking for.... It will allow you to correct some concentricity in your loaded rounds...

Reactions: gigamortis
H&H used to make one
1580511593230.png

Sort your ammo into groups with <0.001" runout and another pile with >0.001" runout. Shoot both and see if you can tell a difference. Does your rifle, your ability and your set up have such precision that something that small has an effect? I'm dubious. My guess is you'll see nothing. If you can get to <0.002" you're doing great. I can't imagine worrying about runout <0.002".

I am getting between .003" and. 004" of runout after the round is complete (aka once it's all said and done). I am measuring this at the bullet ogive....When measuring the case neck it has .001" to .0005" runout so I am good there (my Hollywood reloading press is old school but really gets the job done).

Where is the best place to measure runout from?

Sort your ammo into groups with <0.001" runout and another pile with >0.001" runout. Shoot both and see if you can tell a difference. Does your rifle, your ability and your set up have such precision that something that small has an effect? I'm dubious. My guess is you'll see nothing. If you can get to <0.002" you're doing great. I can't imagine worrying about runout <0.002".

You make a good point. I'll have to give that a shot.....pun intended.

First off, I would shoot your ammo and see if there is any "issues" with the accuracy of your ammo.

If there isn't, then don't worry about it and keep on shooting. I've never measured my runout - my reloads shoot very good, no need to slow down the reloading process anymore to chase fictional ghosts.

It would be interesting to see some testing on cartridges before and after being chambered from a mag.

First off, I would shoot your ammo and see if there is any "issues" with the accuracy of your ammo.

If there isn't, then don't worry about it and keep on shooting. I've never measured my runout - my reloads shoot very good, no need to slow down the reloading process anymore to chase fictional ghosts.

this right here^^^

I agree with this to a degree, but have you really ever loaded a batch of ammo that could not be improved?

If you are satisfied, great! If you want to look for something a little better, runout may be a place to look.

I agree with this to a degree, but have you really ever loaded a batch of ammo that could not be improved?

If you are satisfied, great! If you want to look for something a little better, runout may be a place to look.

the problem ive seen when chasing run out you start inducing higher ESs because your pushing the bullet side to side in the neck which has an effect on neck tension. the OP says he has 0.001-0.002 run out thats a pretty straight round and not worth chasing now if he was at 0.005 it might be a problem...depending on the type of shooting he is doing his rifle and his ability...but if it is/was that bad id suggest he look at his loading equipment.

Reactions: Drumie and Mainer
Played with a run out tool.

Found absolutely zero difference.

There are a lot of things to improve that matter. Fact is you can't get a bullet too far off because your chamber will self-correct to a point.

I've played with a run-out gauge and chased the run-out thing> The naked eye can see run-out when it gets around .005 if you roll the loaded cartridge across a flat surface. And I noticed that if you can see it, you can see it in your groups. IF, you have an accurate rifle. Not so much with a hunting rifle that shoots 1.5 inches.

A friend has one of the gizmos that bends the cartridge back straight and he swears by it. Most other sources don't think much of it. Personally, I would rather ID where the problem originates and correct it before it happens. My exxpierecnce shows that the expander ball is guilty most of the time.

Paying attention to detail and to what I'm doing most of my ammo is less that .002. I see .001 a lot when I load my neck turned and neck sized match ammo with an arbor press and Wilson dies. I don't see much difference with Redding dies.

I have an occasional cartridge with 0.005" of run-out coming off my progressive press, used it yesterday, was hitting an MOA plate at 400 in a 12mph wind.

I sincerely doubt it matters, maybe in benchrest, not in tactical rifle with 2-4 moa plates.

Reactions: 47guy

I was not saying I was having "problems" with my groups....they are pretty good round about a half MOA give or take.

The point is exactly like you say....you can always improve. That is half the fun of reloading....going further down the rabbit hole.

Where are you guys measuring your runout from? The neck of the case or the bullet ogive?

My run out:

measured at the bullet ogive - .002 - .004

meausred at the case neck - .001 - .0005

I built my own tester and went down that rabbit hole.
My findings are a few thou out was nothing To worry about.
8-10 thou definitely showed a trend to open up group.

Once I started using quality dies (Even In really cheap presses) I found I didn’t need to bother checking anymore.

My preferred die set
Lee collet.
Redding body die.
Forster bullet seater.