• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Corrective Eye Surgery

dmuldrew

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 24, 2002
Missouri
Looking for some learned opinions, some experiences, good or bad. I've worn corrective lenses most of my adult life. The time has come in my life that I have the funds available for something like this if I decide to do it. I shoot well with glasses, thru a rifle scope I can do ok without glasses. I shoot a lot of rifles, and an occasional handgun with a red dot sight. I've got astigmatism, and without glasses the red dot becomes pretty much a blur. I know that at my age I'll probably need glasses to read even if I have corrective surgery, and that really isn't an issue. Anyone had Lasik or PRK, others? Your experience is welcomed. Any refractive surgeons on this board?

Re: Corrective Eye Surgery

I got LASEK through the Army. Do it, do it, DO IT. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

I had PRK twice. My vision deteriorated after the first surgery (done in my early twenties). Definitely worth it. Recovery was awful. It took me nearly 4 months to get 20/20 vision the first time and two months the second time (less correction).

advantages of PRK
-no flap (scar tissue is weaker)

advantages of Lasik
-rapid recovery
-less time on steroid (most likely Pred Forte)
-less chance of pressure problems associated with the steroid if you are a pressure responder (you do not get to find out until after the surgery).

When the inner pressure of the eye reaches unsafe levels you damage the optical nerve (can go blind, will loose peripheral vision)

After PRK (the doc will bore a hole down the middle of your eye) you need the stronger steriods longer (Pred Forte etc). to keep from hazing. The longer you are on the stronger steroids the greater chance of pressure spikes.

Long story short...PRK is great if you have several months to do nothing and recover and are not a pressure responder. Unfortunately, I was a pressure responder (had to go on glaucoma meds to keep from going blind until I was off the steroid).

My recommendation...Blade-less Lasik. The flap is cut with a laser.

BTW...Only reason I had PRK the second time was because I did not have enough corneal tissue left for lasik (it was all zapped with the laser the first time). If your doc says your a good candidate for lasik it is preferred.

Restasis (not sure if that is the correct spelling) is actually pretty good for dry eyes. It takes a few months for it to start working. Lubricating drops do absolutely nothing.

I got the no blade Lasik. Best decision I have every made. I too had astigmatism. Shooting is so much nicer now. You can really tell how much clearer the high end scopes are now.
The next morning after my surgery I had 20/15. It is pretty neat. I had the surgery, right after the surgery i was like i was looking threw water, everything was cloudy. I went home, took about a half hour nap and when I woke up everything was very clear. I could see better then i could with my glasses. You just have to take it easy for the first week, then be careful for a couple months after that. The halos at night went away for me about 2 months later. I do know some people that still see halos at night a few years later. Just make sure you go to a good place. Not those fly by night places.

I got Lasik about 5 years ago and have not needed glasses for that time. It has been the best money I have ever spent. To be able to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see the clock, to not have to mess with glasses or contacts, to be able to play with your kids and not worry about breaking your glasses. I don't know why I did not do it sooner.

CONS:
I have astigmatism as well and the surgery was not able to get me to 20/20, I also dealt with dry eyes for many months. I also had to get another adjustment to one eye. I have notices that at night I have starbursts, and my night vision is not as good as it was.

Would I do it again?......ABSOLUTELY

If you can do LASIK, I would say, don't think twice, go for it.

I recently month ago) went to have a LASIK procedure done. They informed me that they were not comfortable doing LASIK, but would o PRK.

I was there and ready to go, so I said OK. They did both eyes at the same time. I know others that got one at a time done.

PRK sucks! The recovery is painful as hell the day after, you can't see shit for about a week. I can function now, but still can't see much past 15 feet. I can make out objects, but there are 6 of them.

It can take up to 6 months for your vision to stabalize. I know that, but i seem to have hit a plateu and am not seening any improvement...frustrating.

It may end up being worth it, guess I won't know for another five months.

Shooting is...interesting. That is the whole reason I did it. I see 6 sets of crosshairs. I just use the darkest one, it works, but again, very frustrating.

I suffer from astigmatism also went for evaluation for lasik found out from the eye surgeon that my regular eye doc had missed for over ten years that i was suffering from a disease very commonly associated wtih astigmatism called keratoconis(weakening of the gellatin in the corneas) be very cautious as surgeon told me anyone with this condition that has lasik will cause the condition to excellerate very rapidly and will more than likely have to have cornea transplants. They say best defense is contiue using contacts.

I have a unique insight into LASIK due to the fact that my father is an opthamologist (eye surgeon). He did my LASIK almost 2 years ago. I have loved it. HE also did my older brother, and my older sister. Their is no long term data (20 years or more) on the effects of the surgery, but PRK and RK patients have had to go back and get a touch up. LASIK is not for everyone, and you have to meet certain criteria. If you dont meet the criteria for LASIK, then you will need PRK. I had the surgery, and dont regret one second of it. I did have HALO's for about 2 months, and then they cleared up, but it was well worth the hassle. I am a medic, and I used a pair of red vermillion shooting glasses at night when I was on duty, and I had no problem with the HALO's .