• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cortina EC Tuner... They work!!!

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Just a quick and dirty review of the Cortina Precision EC Tuner.

I'm running a Custom Seekins Precision SP10 with a 24" Proof Research Carbon fiber Barrel and a American Precision Arms GEN3 Brake Average accuracy I'm seeing is around .70-.75 MOA with any of the Hornady Match box ammo.

IMG_20220817_142633900.jpg

Decided to Give the EC Tuner a go and have been thoroughly impressed.
    IMG_20220817_122322345.jpg

Conducted the standard shoot 3 then move 2-4-6-8... And so on, every load definitely had its own preference, I ran 140 ELD Match/ 147 ELD Match / American Gunner 140.

IMG_20220817_140802208.jpg

Once I found each loads preference I shot a 5rd group to confirm, I fucked up and got a couple flyers on the first and the last 5rd group. I'd say the results are pretty clear. I'll up date this once I start handloading.

I think these would shine the most with the loads that have outstanding Muzzle Velocity/ES/ and SD's but the accuracy just isn't there, one of these could make all the difference.

Last edited:
    or it could prove he took his time when he shot with it on and did not without it . I'll take it like masks and covid it it makes you feel warm and fuzzy and you got the money then get one by all means . if not then don't wear a mask either way don't worry be happy .

Reactions: kthomas
    or it could prove he took his time when he shot with it on and did not without it . I'll take it like masks and covid it it makes you feel warm and fuzzy and you got the money then get one by all means . if not then don't wear a mask either way don't worry be happy .

I took my time with everyone of those groups, I thought it was going to be just another gimmick as well. Honestly it's just something you have to try out to believe, the damn thing works.

My JP was a 3/4 moa gun due mostly to being restricted by magazine length ammo. So I added the EC Tuner/brake and was able to bring the group sizes down to under 1/2 moa. I have put 200 rounds through it now and I have to say that it is repeatable. I think it is a great tool for the AR platform or any gun with a short magazine.

Attachments

• IMG_0471[1027]  Tuner break.jpg
      IMG_0471[1027] Tuner break.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 337
    Reactions: bfoosh006
    Doesn’t this prove the “harmonics are a myth” crowd wrong? Or am I wrong about how this works? Need to know before I talk shit to ppl.

I don't think anyone disagrees that changing the weight on the end of the barrel changes harmonics.

The interesting conversations occur around if harmonics change the precision of a barrel/rifle, why that is so, and if that's a phenomena that's statistically relevant and repeatable across barrels and platforms.

The data is very clear that barrel harmonics change with a change in weight and other structural factors. What isn't so clear is how those harmonics effect precision, and why.

Reactions: Rpanetta1967
    I took my time with everyone of those groups, I thought it was going to be just another gimmick as well. Honestly it's just something you have to try out to believe, the damn thing works.
    I also have a tuner brake, and through my testing I disagree.

But it's a different rifle, different ammo and different shooter.

I shot many 5 round groups, with and without a tuner, to test it out for myself with my most precise rifle. POI shifted slightly, but no real statistically meaningful change in precision.

Personally I find this topic fascinating, ever since our discipline of shooters have recently adopted tuners for a use they were never used for before. My mind is still open, but so far the current data and theory behind it is less than compelling.

There is some reliable data for rimfire rifles, but it's not the case for centerfire.

I don't think anyone disagrees that changing the weight on the end of the barrel changes harmonics.

The interesting conversations occur around if harmonics change the precision of a barrel/rifle, why that is so, and if that's a phenomena that's statistically relevant and repeatable across barrels and platforms.

The data is very clear that barrel harmonics change with a change in weight and other structural factors. What isn't so clear is how those harmonics effect precision, and why.
    Just having a little fun busting the balls of the 1.25” straight taper 6GT crowd out here saying load development is useless and harmonics are a myth!