• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cost comparison?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
Just a quick question here with reloading. I know that costs will continue to travel downward as you are shooting the same brass again and again..

With that said, what kind of cost differences are you looking at between factory produced black hills / hornaday ($1+) a round ammo and your own highly accurate round in either .223 and or .308?

Also does anyone reload for 9mm or .45? What kind of cost savings might you see there?

Re: Cost comparison?

Me personally, I see about a 50% reduction in cost on 45, 9mm is hard, maybe only 3-6 cents cost savings each.

Rifle rounds are where reloading really shines, For 308 and 243, I see about 75% cost reduction over factory. Not only that but you can tailor that bullet to your praticular rifle.

Its also important to note that the largest amount of savings comes from reusing the brass portion of each cartridge. A very effective way of figuring cost of a reload is to figure 10 reloads on each piece of brass. If your not a fool getting to this with good brass should be no problem at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quackaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me personally, I see about a 50% reduction in cost on 45, 9mm is hard, maybe only 3-6 cents cost savings each.

Rifle rounds are where reloading really shines, For 308 and 243, I see about 75% cost reduction over factory. Not only that but you can tailor that bullet to your praticular rifle.

Its also important to note that the largest amount of savings comes from reusing the brass portion of each cartridge. A very effective way of figuring cost of a reload is to figure 10 reloads on each piece of brass. If your not a fool getting to this with good brass should be no problem at all.
</div></div>

+1

for most reloaders including myself saving money is a fallacy - go into the room and start counting the thousands that have been put into the hobby

there is what I call the "plus one" cost - after you do load development and make a 1000 rds of that load - what does it cost to make one more

so I give some of my "plus one" costs:

basic .223 ------------- .14
basic .308 ------------- .35
premium .223 (69, 77 gr) .4 - .45
premium .308 (175 SMK) .55
7-08 (168 SMK) .55
6.5 x 47 123 SMK .60
300 WM 190 SMK .75
7 SAUM (180 berger) .80
338 LM (300 SMK) .95

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topslop1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a quick question here with reloading. I know that costs will continue to travel downward as you are shooting the same brass again and again..

With that said, what kind of cost differences are you looking at between factory produced black hills / hornaday ($1+) a round ammo and your own highly accurate round in either .223 and or .308?

Also does anyone reload for 9mm or .45? What kind of cost savings might you see there? </div></div>

I have spent an unknown amount of money on my wife and my dog over the last few years.
In spite of the questionable returns, I intend to keep both of them.
I feel the same way about my reloading.

I always figure I brake even reloading. It's cheaper per round but I shoot twice as much, maybe more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have spent an unknown amount of money on my wife and my dog over the last few years.
In spite of the questionable returns, I intend to keep both of them.
I feel the same way about my reloading.</div></div>

That sir, is absolute brilliance!

For me 223 is running me .20 a piece to reload, 9mm is running .11 a piece to reload. A lot cheaper than buying them off the shelf. I reload 15 different calibers, so every penny saved is a penny more i can shoot.

My .223 loads are 55 grn. Vmax's, and while I could drive the cost down by figuring more loads per piece of brass, I usually loose a fair amount while hunting.
Anyway, .223 55grn Vmax in LC brass runs me about $.30/rnd and shoots as well in my AR as Black hills did out to 200 yds on paper. I shot prairie dogs at 436 yds with this load, so I am happy.

My .308 load is a 175 SMK in Win brass, figuring at a min. 8 loadings on brass (probably conservative #) = $.47/rnd Some of the prices I pulled from Midway, so this is not figuring any qty. discounts, or promo codes.

I'm new to reloading but I spend way to much on supplies and equipment. Probably just over 3k. I do have some nice equipment and 700 lapua brass plus 20 lbs powder. With the time it takes to correctly and properly load if your time is worth $5 a hr I don't see you coming out ahead. I love what each step in the process give you and having the absolute best shooting ammo for you rifle.

1000 LC 1X fired brass $69
1000 HDY 55gr $95
1000 Rem 7.5 primers $28.95
4 pounds AA2230 $82
1000 rounds loaded with those components $274.95

900 rounds of LC M193= $399
http://ammoman.com/p/387/556mm-55-grain-fmj-xm193-af
1000 of winchester $519
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900275...ll-metal-jacket
Using either brass for a second time using the same components= $205.95/1000
Your first 1000 rounds of run of the mill 55gr .223 will pay for your press, dies, electronic scale, and a set of calipers

.308 work up with 175gr Match 500 rounds

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/878863/...-tail-box-of-20
500 rounds= $741.75

Handloads:
500 LC 1X fired $85
500 CCI 200 primers(my favorite) $14.75
3 pounds of RL15 $73.50
500 175gr Sierra Match Kings $154.99
500 loaded rounds= $328.24

Using 500 pieces of brass you already have on hand= $243.24

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for most reloaders including myself saving money is a fallacy - go into the room and start counting the thousands that have been put into the hobby

there is what I call the "plus one" cost - after you do load development and make a 1000 rds of that load - what does it cost to make one more

so I give some of my "plus one" costs:

basic .223 ------------- .14
basic .308 ------------- .35
premium .223 (69, 77 gr) .4 - .45
premium .308 (175 SMK) .55
7-08 (168 SMK) .55
6.5 x 47 123 SMK .60
300 WM 190 SMK .75
7 SAUM (180 berger) .80
338 LM (300 SMK) .95 </div></div>
If you shoot much at all, I don't see how one can afford not to reload.
I quoted George because I disagree with his first sentence. One needs to view his equipment purchase as an asset, it's resellable. I've seen alot of gear go for $.80-.85 on the dollar. You're not going to loose your ass on it.
Also his $.14 for basic .223 has to be rock bottom, and his premium at $.45 seems high to me, but I maybe get more loadings out of my brass so my cost seems lower.

It all depends on the volume a person shoots, whether it pays for itself. The price of components has risen dramatically over the years, so I would start out buying case lots of loaded ammo for 9mm, 45, and .223, and retrieve my brass to load later.

And if you stray from your 4 listed cartridges, hand loading becomes a must. Like George, I shoot a couple 6.5x47's, and a couple 7 saum's, loaded ammo for those are through the roof. And you can't get a precision long range bullet in the saum with factory ammo.
To me the biggest question is, will your wife put up with 3-8 hours weekly for you to load ammo, plus your range time?
Last year I shot over 8K rounds of ammo, 45, .223, and long range stuff, this year I'll come in under 2K. Most years it's around 5K, I have to reload.

the .40 - .45 for premium .223 comes from premium components, dedicated premium dies and low volume/ no discounts for these loads

Those who shoot pistol, no matter the caliber, are spending way to much for practice if they don't cast and reload. Cast, lubing, and powder and primers...much less than .06 per round. JMHO

Okay, so naturally this has peaked my interest and gotten me very interested. Where would/should I start? I'd like something more automated than less automated if possible? I don't mind sinking a decent amount of money into the tooling if it speeds up the process/ makes it more efficient.

I was thinking of selling my PTR91 (as it chews up brass anyhow) and taking the $1200 or so for a reloading budget and sticking with .223 and 9mm at the moment.

Is your .223 semi or bolt?
If semi, I'd just start with a progressive press.

Going to assume that buying something like this used would be the better choice than buying new?

Which is a good/ the best book to read on reloading?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topslop1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to assume that buying something like this used would be the better choice than buying new?

Which is a good/ the best book to read on reloading? </div></div>
I don't know if I agree with that, besides you don't see many for sale.
So as far as books go, I can't help you. Instruction manuals are a total last resort here.
smile.gif

Gotcha. I'm reading about the Hornady presses and it seems a lot of guys that had issues with the D650 are switching over to them and enjoying the results. Anyone have experience with a Hornady press?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your .223 semi or bolt?
If semi, I'd just start with a progressive press. </div></div>

I didn't see this here. I'm shooting a standard AR15 right now, and an HK P30. I'd like to pick up an MK12-ish upper for the AR15 and then feed it higher end ammo... I couldn't justify an MK12 upper if I were shooting $1 a round ammo. Hence where the reloading idea came into play.

I'm thinking of sacrificing my PTR91 not because I don't enjoy shooting it but for the fact that it is not reload friendly AND the fact that my longest range shooting is going to be maybe 400 yards? I'm not doing 1000+ yard stuff.

Sierra's 5th edition is the best load manual I've seen. It covers reloading step-by-step in an easy to understand format with good pictures. Their load data is on the conservative side and there is a section for AR-15 .223's. Their manual also covers loading for semi automatics. I just don't likethat the pages tear out quite easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topslop1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which is a good/ the best book to read on reloading? </div></div>

Not a book on basics but good from a competition perspective is Glen Zediker's Handloading for Competition. For basics ABCs of Reloading, Lyman's, Sierra's or even Lee's books. It all depends on where you are starting from. The best thing is to watch someone reload who loads like you want to and that you trust preferably with equipment like you are considering/have. It is as easy to pick up bad pointers as it is good ones.