• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cost of barrel threading

Re: Cost of barrel threading

Out here in central valley CA I had my barrel threaded by J&G Gunsmiths and they did an excellent job. Labor was $120. I didn't get the thread protector for the end.
186ebf96.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mentioning my name, in the same sentence as "its good enough" or warning me about "too heavy of cuts" is just insulting. </div></div>

For the record Keith, I wasnt saying that "Good enough" is your stance, it's simply what others say at times. Keep up the good work.

On a side note, I was thinking about shortening a contoured blank that I purchased from 26 inches to 20 inches. I asked the maker who posts on here regularly...and he advised that it is a bad idea to shorten a contoured blank more than a couple of inches as the center of the bore may not be in the center of the blank and that this gets worse as you go farther from the muzzle.

Anyone have any experience with this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a side note, I was thinking about shortening a contoured blank that I purchased from 26 inches to 20 inches. I asked the maker who posts on here regularly...and he advised that it is a bad idea to shorten a contoured blank more than a couple of inches as the center of the bore may not be in the center of the blank and that this gets worse as you go farther from the muzzle.

Anyone have any experience with this? </div></div>

This is absolutely true.
I have seen up to a 0.030" difference in wall thickness on 26" factory remington barrels that I have cut back to 20".

Does it cause a problem in terms of accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it cause a problem in terms of accuracy? </div></div>

Probably no more than the already crooked barrel does.
Metal expands when it heats up.
If there's more metal on one side of the barrel, it's going to expand MORE, making the barrel bend slightly as it heats up.
This is why barrels with uneven barrels will tend to wander as they heat up.

Highpower guys occassionally experience this. Its not so much an accuracy issue as a wandering zero. Shoot a pair of 10x rapid fires and it'll become evident soon enough.

-referencing oddball barrel wall thicknesses. Not shortening a barrel.

C.

The above mentioned concern about POI wandering is why I test fire with 10 shots fired rapidly.... after a slow fire 5 shot group. If the 10 rapid fired rounds move away from the tight 5 shot cluster, something is wrong.

If a rifle wont perform hot it wont perform when you need it the most.

Well. I think it is possible to keep tolerances that tight. I am not a smith or a machinist. But I have seen it done. Then for confirmation I measured it..... With my cock! .000001 Awesome.