• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cost of gunsmith installing a barrel on R700?

Maestro

Novice
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2017
MI
I've got a Remington 700 and toying around the idea of picking up a Bartlein from RHR for $300. How much would most smiths charge to finish out/install a barrel? Do most smiths do cerakoting in house too? I don't have many around me other than D&D.

$250-350 to thread, chamber and install
$100 to thread muzzle
$250-350 to true the receiver if you decide to.

Wow, $450 is steep, that's just for install? I know it would depend on the smith. I googled some pricing before I made this thread and seems I saw pricing around $100-$200 for a barrel install.

If you have someone threading chambering and installing a barrel for $100 I don't know that I would send my best rifle to them first. Hell most smiths charge $100 just to thread the end of barrels. I use Southern Precision for my Bartlein Prefits and my last barrel including the blank was $560 no muzzle threads.

If you have someone threading chambering and installing a barrel for $100 I don't know that I would send my best rifle to them first. Hell most smiths charge $100 just to thread the end of barrels. I use Southern Precision for my Bartlein Prefits and my last barrel including the blank was $560 no muzzle threads.
Makes sense. I will do more research and call up D&D.

Call southern precision they will make it to your specs whatever barrel you want and all you have to do is spin it on and they are hammers my 6xc is a one hole rifle even when I'm not trying.

With a Remington 700 you do not want just the barrel installed. You want your receiver trued as well.
So I looked up my gunsmith. Action Truing is 295 and his barrel install is with barrels of his choice for 300.
In his case he buys blanks from the barrel makers and chambers them himself.

Last edited:
That depends all 700’s are not dirt and I think smiths are making a lot of money on them mine shot good before the rebarrel and good lug lock up so I just used a prefit and it shoots just as it good as my tikka that was gone through and chambered by a smith

My gunsmith is Jon Beanland in Oklahoma ( Beanland Rifles ) and he must get his barrel blanks in bulk. He does either Bartlein or Kreiger depending on what you want and which barrel maker supplies it whenever he does a rechamber.