• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cost of putting on a M40A1 profile barrel.

Re: Cost of putting on a M40A1 profile barrel.

Hart charges $650. A blank is usually around $300, and 'smiths usually charge around $200 to true the action and around $100 to chamber. If the action has already been trued one can get by for less. This is ballpark for work I've had done in the past and some price lists that I've perused. When I'm ready for a barrel $600 is what I set aside. Hope this helps. AG

That's about the same as GAP. Look on their website, they list the prices for barrels and services.

Yeah, I plan for 600 as well.

That being said, GAP hung my last tube on an action for me. It was an especially long barrel (34 inches) which adds a little price to a blank and I provided the reamer and gauges, and the smith work was 355. That was a crown, thread, chamber, and shipping.

Came out at 700 bones for that particular barrel, which was a special deal because of the length. I doubt you would be any higher than that. Lower, certainly. Grab a Brux at 275 bucks and there are plenty of smiths that will do it cheaper. Will any do it better?? Probably not.

Plan for 600 to get it done by a reputable smith with a proven barrel producer.