• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Cot for Deer Camp

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This year I have the honor of hunting up at my gunsmiths farm. My close friend has been going up there for years, but over the past 2 years I have been forming my own friendship with the gunsmith. And this year I was extended an invitation that I am grateful for. Lots of trophy sized deer up on his farm. To get to the point:

There are approximately 8-10 guys that are going up for the week. A few guys get to stay in the house. A few guys choose to camp. This year, my buddy and I chose to sleep in the shop. The gunsmith has a few natural gas wells on his property, and gets gas for free. So his shop stays a nice 68 degrees. But what I need is a nice COT to sleep on. Any body have any ideas of a nice model? I was looking at some of the Cabelas models, but wanted some first hand insight.

Re: Cot for Deer Camp

Try self inflating air mattress( Walmart camping ). They are more comfortable than a cot.

Im trying to avoid the air mattress. His shop usually has tons of metal shavings all over the place from the lathe. Plus the shop is where we all hang out when not in the deer stands. I like the idea of being up off the floor a bit.

Just a though, sweep up the floor in his shop, he will appreciate you leaving it better than you found it.

For cold weather camping you cannot beat an air mattress, and put a futon mattress over it for insulation and comfort.

An air mattress is just not going to work. Maybe an air mattress on top of a cot. And i cant build anything permanent like bunks. It is his shop where he builds guns. I dont think he wants me to move in permanently, although i would!

I have used the large cabelas cot for few years. It has plenty of room and is comfortable. I would suggest getting some foam ect. to put under your sleeping bag. Most people don't like that firm of a bed. Also it gives some insulation under the sleeping bag.

I like the idea of the coat rack that you can get for the cots. atleast that would allow me to try out my coat and pants if i get covered with snow. But im skeptical that it would be able to hold my 18lb rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of the coat rack that you can get for the cots. atleast that would allow me to try out my coat and pants if i get covered with snow. But im skeptical that it would be able to hold my 18lb rifle</div></div>

Our group switched from home made cots w/ upper bunks (EMT & plywood..pita to set up but hell for stout)to the Cabela's Outfitter cots w/ the trees. Best thing we've done Easy set up, big, sturdy and comfortable (use 2" thick waffle foam). You'll be comfy and happy as a clam. The trees offer storage and a place to hang things.

The alaska series is 32in wide. The XL version is 40. Do you think I could get away with the 32? Im 6ft 230lbs

Go with the XL...since you are kinda like a sasquatch and all. If you're gonna spend the money for a 32" wide, why not front money for the 40" wide so you have more room and more comfort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don't Tread On Me!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the XL...since you are kinda like a sasquatch and all. If you're gonna spend the money for a 32" wide, why not front money for the 40" wide so you have more room and more comfort. </div></div>

+1
I'm 6'3 235, "Donk" is 6'2 280 & Scott is 6'2 225. We all fit. Get the big one. Go big or go home. LOL Don't make a mistake now you'll regret later. It's only money and ya can't take it with you! See my tag line.

Go for the big cot. Without question get a pad for the cot. One that inflates itself with the foam and air compartment. You NEED this under your bag! Get the tree/coat/utilities stand. You'll be amazed how useful this is. Matter of fact you'll wish you had 2 of them.
Seeing as your in a shop that has probably more than its share of uncommon smells and what not... you're gonna want to deodorize yourself pretty damn good.

I'd contemplate having an air tight storage container with some dirt scent in it to put your hunting cloths in every night.

good idea about the smells. ive heard that the coat racks arent too sturdy. any ways to improve that?

Gorilla tape !

How sturdy do they have to be.. you're just hangin' stuff on em.

Even though it's a private farm those bucks will be on high alert with all the activity. limit the things working against you.

If it were me I'd get a map of the place and ask everyone to show you where they are gonna hunt.. then I'd be the first outta camp make a long loop around come in from the back side and let them do the work for ya heading into their stands.

jus' sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The alaska series is 32in wide. The XL version is 40. Do you think I could get away with the 32? Im 6ft 230lbs </div></div>

I had the alaskan guide series cot and was very disappointed with it. It seemed to be VERY wobbly and was returned immediately after the hunting trip. As far as size, it was almost too big when out camping and do recommend a pad underneath the sleeping bag.

Definitely get the biggest cot possible, and put some sort of padding on it like the others suggested. I use a cheap blue 1/2" foam mat from wally world. It cost $6 in the camping section. It gives some extra cushion, but most importantly, it feels "warm" as it insulates you from the cold air under the cot or on the ground for that matter. I keep one of these mats rolled up in my truck in case I have to sleep on the ground somewhere, and it has come in handy several times.

A cot is much better than an air mattress for cold weather camping. Even with an air mattress between you and the cold ground, it still gets to you. Much better to be completely off the ground in a cot in the cold weather.

I don't have a suggestion on which cot to buy, but I do on which cot NOT to buy; the Cabelas Alaskan Guide cots. I like most all of Cabelas Alaskan Guide stuff, but their cots are junk IMO. Both my brother and I bought them this summer and put them to use in Sept for the first time. They have waaaay too much wiggle in them. Every time I got on the sum bitch it felt like I was getting on a circus ride. I kept waiting for the thing to come crashing to the ground. My brother is much smaller than me and his did the same thing right out of the box, with no way to really tighten shit up. They both went back.

Think I'll be trying the Cabelas Army Spec cot. It's smaller unfortunately, but should be a better built cot, I hope.

Also, if you plan on using the cot in a tent, bigger is definitely not always better. I have an 8 person Alaskan Guide tent and there was absolutely no way to get two Alaskan Guide cots and 1 smaller Army cot in that tent. Had we all had a regular sized cot, it would have been no problem.

I've done the air mattress thing and cot thing. While the air mattresses are more comfortable in warmer weather, the cots are damn nice to store crap underneath. Really frees up some floor space in the tent.

Just some more things to consider....