• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision COTI Mounting Bracket - Help!

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    My buddy has a COTI setup on his PVS31 goggles I am thinking of buying to use on my PVS1531 goggles. The problem is that the housing on the PVS1531 is a chode of a dick compared to the diameter on the PVS31 or even a standard PVS14 housing (which is even narrower). I can get the bracket over the housing, but can’t lock the throw arm down.

I don’t want to mount the bracket on the focus ring, but I can’t find any other brackets online that Optics 1 or vendors sell that would fit the PVS1531.

Does anyone know if they make an extra large bracket for a stubby like mine? 😂 Or is there another solution like adding a longer screw that the bracket threads on to so you can increase the circumference of the bracket that way?

I might have just what you’re looking for. Ping my phone in 2 hours and I should be home to look. It’s a one-off, so you’re gonna need to spend some time on your knees. :giggle:

I am assuming you have screwed the screw all the way out...

Reactions: TheHorta
    I am assuming you have screwed the screw all the way out...

That too. Lol.

ETA: Sounds like he does based on the last paragraph in his OP.

But he is from NH, so we had to ask. :p

Last edited:
    Hahaha the screw was all the way out. What a pain to get in.

@TheHorta i will shoot you a PM. We can discuss who needs to tickle what hahaha

• Haha
    Reactions: Eliteuas
    The focus ring actually isn't a bad spot for it...

Could work, just didnt want to crush it or inadvertantly cause it to rotate out of focus. I also like being able to run Butler Creek covers on the lens, but thats me being picky.

I am stumped guys! Check out these photos using the largest bracket @TheHorta sent me (thank you!) We either need a longer arm screw or some type of adapter that can hook into the two “fingers” that act as the pivot point for the lever to bridge the distance. And you cant mount it behind the widest point (15cm circumference) where it does clamp because then it just angle the bracket horribly.

It seems like the only easy option is to use the pvs14 bracket (smaller) to mount to the lens on the end. I worry about that causing it to rotate or squeeze an area it shouldn’t.

Looking at the FNL post, this is what they did. Is this the only option or can we do better? When they mounted it on the body, it was with a DTNVG housing which is narrower.

Attachments

• 541755CE-BF04-439D-BCA8-8428135C36F3.jpeg
      541755CE-BF04-439D-BCA8-8428135C36F3.jpeg
      325.6 KB · Views: 89
    • A9CCCD95-F145-45A1-A7A1-1AD17F270541.jpeg
      A9CCCD95-F145-45A1-A7A1-1AD17F270541.jpeg
      187.3 KB · Views: 54
    • 6358C4C2-9FA3-4A3D-9FC4-FA9842C5336F.jpeg
      6358C4C2-9FA3-4A3D-9FC4-FA9842C5336F.jpeg
      215.6 KB · Views: 48
    • FBEC0E74-35EA-4A2B-A534-083581F9996B.jpeg
      FBEC0E74-35EA-4A2B-A534-083581F9996B.jpeg
      228.9 KB · Views: 58
    • 8336619B-38B5-4B01-B381-23CBAFF4B4CA.jpeg
      8336619B-38B5-4B01-B381-23CBAFF4B4CA.jpeg
      235 KB · Views: 66
    • 9BEAB749-81BB-4D7E-B93F-581FC94BC1A7.jpeg
      9BEAB749-81BB-4D7E-B93F-581FC94BC1A7.jpeg
      243.1 KB · Views: 58
    You should just put it on the damn focus ring.

It's not going to move the focus settings. It actually works really well as a throw lever should you need to adjust quickly. Some dude on here who used them professionally suggested it on here for that reason.

It's not going to move the focus settings. It actually works really well as a throw lever should you need to adjust quickly. Some dude on here who used them professionally suggested it on here for that reason.

Great point! Hadnt thought of that. Will have to source a smaller bracket. I got this one to test before committing to buying a COTI on the Hide or from a friend locally.

Yeah, it does work well as a throw lever, but I ran into one problem. The weight of the COTI kept turning the focus ring on the (factory L3) PVS-14 that I have it mounted to.

I remounted it as best that I could for my helmet bridge setup, but I need to figure out how to get it from turning the ring while the ring is turned outward (I have some low-tech ideas that might work, but we'll see).

Reactions: NHPiper
    We're closing in on a solution that allows the PVS31 COTI adapter to work with a PVS1531. The primary issue, as explained above, is the outside diameter of the bino housing is large enough to prevent the 31 adapter to work.

With that, we're looking at doing a test fitment using 3D printed parts to confirm our fix. Next, we will inquire on getting them machined out of metal for rigidity, if the 3D version isn't secure enough.

If we get them machined, typically cost goes down with volume, and while we have no idea what the cost actually is, it would be helpful to understand what demand looks like.

I know of two thus far (NHPiper and Little Ole Me).

Who else would want one?

If you're going to machine parts, could you just make the whole thing? Would be a PITA having to track down -31 adapters first to have them converted. Would be real nice to be able to mod the standard -14 adapter too if that's not possible.

If you're going to machine parts, could you just make the whole thing? Would be a PITA having to track down -31 adapters first to have them converted. Would be real nice to be able to mod the standard -14 adapter too if that's not possible.

We will work on a 14 options too to see if feasible. Can't comment yet.

Hmm. Seems simpler to redesign one part instead of developing an entirely new product. Am I reading your note correctly: you want an entirely new adjustable mount? If yes, it will be costly and require commits.

To be perfectly selfish, I sold off my -31 adapter and just have the -14 one. Would definitely be in for an adapter piece to make the -14 one work. If you just replace the whole bracket I'd probably be in for that too if it was reasonable. Either or. Assumed the bracket itself would be pretty easy to knock off, but maybe it's an IP thing at that point where an adapter would be OK but a replacement would be an infringement ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be perfectly selfish, I sold off my -31 adapter and just have the -14 one. Would definitely be in for an adapter piece to make the -14 one work. If you just replace the whole bracket I'd probably be in for that too if it was reasonable. Either or. Assumed the bracket itself would be pretty easy to knock off, but maybe it's an IP thing at that point where an adapter would be OK but a replacement would be an infringement ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The 14 one is so much smaller, you would have to really bend that metal a lot.....