• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision COTI vs china skeet, with a little twist

Reactions: deersniper
... What do I need to attach the UTM? Thanks ...

Nothing ... the UTM shoe, slides in to the bridge dove tails ... just remove the 14 interface (which also slides into the bridge dove tails) on the side you choose ... and slide in the UTM till it clicks ... same as with the patrol or the skeet.

... You’ll need the KAC bridge ...

Really ?? I'm surprised .. the skeets I have and have handled all work just fine with the mod armory bridge ...

One of us either got lucky (more than once) or unlucky at least once ??
:)

Unless the UTM shoe is different from the skeet shoe ... which I would find surprising .. they're all wilcox shoes actually on all the ones I've seen.

Nothing ... the UTM shoe, slides in to the bridge dove tails ... just remove the 14 interface (which also slides into the bridge dove tails) on the side you choose ... and slide in the UTM till it clicks ... same as with the patrol or the skeet.

The MA shoe isn’t identical. There’s a little difference that keeps the UTM shoe from locking-up.

Really ?? I'm surprised .. the skeets I have and have handled all work just fine with the mod armory bridge ...

Unless the UTM shoe is different from the skeet shoe ... which I would find surprising .. they're all wilcox shoes actually on all the ones I've seen.

Well, my MA bridge is 5 years old, so maybe they fixed it? Certainly could be. I’m going on old experience.

No. That won’t work (I’ve tried). The shoe isn’t Wilcox standard and doesn’t lock-up. You’ll need the KAC bridge.
This?

Or this

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHorta
I would think the Mod Armory QD bridge (not the light weight one above) would be the one you want...

... Well, my MA bridge is 5 years old, so maybe they fixed it? Certainly could be. I’m going on old experience ...

One MA bridge I have is six y/o the other is 3 y/o both work fine with skeets and patrols etc.

That said ... one buddy had one MA bridge that did not work with skeet ... he sent it back and they sent another one (another bridge) and it worked. So could be 1 off QA issue ??

One MA bridge I have is six y/o the other is 3 y/o both work fine with skeets and patrols etc.

That said ... one buddy had one MA bridge that did not work with skeet ... he sent it back and they sent another one (another bridge) and it worked. So could be 1 off QA issue ??

That could be. Oddly enough, I haven’t tried a Skeet. I just assumed since it wouldn’t lock-up way back when with the UTM that it wouldn’t work with the Skeet either.

The Wilcox branded dovetail has a tiny bit of variation. This sometimes leads to no lockup.

I think the design is the main issue - tolerances have to be holy shit tight to work.

I just figured it had something to do with patent infringement, so MA made a slight variation to avoid violation and legal exposure.

My vivid imagination. Lol.

... I'm a big coti fan. Just gotta know the limitations before hand. I'd say it fits in it's little space of utility very well. ...

Agree 5000% ... its mostly about expectation management for those of us who might recommend them ... they are NOT for everyone. They are NOT mini-skeets !! :D

For me they are primarily an enhancement for shooting with lasers ... if you don't shoot with lasers a LOT don't even think about the coti ... tertiarily ... they can be used in a minimalist setup for detection and even PID ...

48151336541_b72709a235_k.jpg

Nightcap with 14+coti + rhino1 + j-arm ... it doesn't get much more minimalist than that ... and this is good for detection out to 600yds on most nights ... PID .. well depends on how many seconds you have to observe the critter and the distance ... I can PID my cows at 300yds ... for sure ... but if I pretend I don't know where the rocks are ... PIDing at 600yds is very tough ... PIDing inside 150yds is much easier and that's where I would set expectations ... but with EXPERIENCE ... and enough seconds to observe movement .. then PID further out is possible.

I mostly use outline mode when out walking and stalkin ... but switch to patrol made to engage ... if I was expecting to meet hostile critters that shoot back I would be on patrol mode ... if going in a building or other close terrain I would go to "full" mode ... but for me that only works close up ... inside rock throwing distance. But for what I do out here ... edge mode (outline mode) works great ...

Reactions: stefan73
MA updated their QD bridge mount to allow adjusting (via a set screw) the amount of tension/variance in the wilcox shoe. They marketed it as an "improved" version that allowed for "wear adjustment". This (I would suspect) saved them from having to bad mouth Wilcox for a spec that had enough slop/tolerances to cause issues.

The UTMx Shoe doesn't have the milled out section in the middle like the Skeet and RQE/KVC dovetails, and therefore isn't compatible with how the Mod Armory bridge locks up. Before switching to the Skeet, I ran a UTMx on one eye and a PVS-14 on the other eye using a G24, KVC bridge, and OSS shoe set.

50123124092_b72ac0157c_c.jpg

Ok I think this is the G24 Mount ? View attachment 7376569View attachment 7376570

So I just need the KVC Mount and OSS shoes?

That's a G11, which uses the the horn interface. The G24, G22 use the dovetail interface which is what you'd need to connect to the KVC bridge. The Wilcox bridge has a horn interface option, but dovetail is a much better system in my opinion.

Welcome to my world. Behold, my $125K table (from last night’s family faux toe):

F94C911E-812C-4A60-B5B3-83FE504CE5DE.jpeg

It’s both my therapy and retirement savings rolled into one.

The UTMx Shoe doesn't have the milled out section in the middle like the Skeet and RQE/KVC dovetails, and therefore isn't compatible with how the Mod Armory bridge locks up. Before switching to the Skeet, I ran a UTMx on one eye and a PVS-14 on the other eye using a G24, KVC bridge, and OSS shoe set.

50123124092_b72ac0157c_c.jpg
Thanks for everyone’s help

Is this the correct show set?

B056D85F-610E-444B-A610-5DA4B0EA9927.png

Thanks for everyone’s help

Is this the correct show set?

View attachment 7378123

Yes for a -14. Shouldn’t need one for the UTM to my knowledge since the KAC bridge takes the Wilcox shoe. Someone fact check me on this...

I would probably replace the factory Wilcox shoe on the UTM with a more recent prod version if it in fact doesn’t have the recess like pointed out above. That would fix your bridge mount issue.

UTM modify mount for helmet (2).jpg

The image above was posted years ago and it shows why the UTM/UTMX Dovetail did not work with the Mod Armory mount . I shows how it was milled out to match the mount that is to the right of it so it could work. The UTM/UTMX was never meant to be helmet mounted. When mounted in the Wilcox flip mount it gets locked in via a rear spring loaded latch that comes up. The Mod Armory mount locks things in via different method.

Again, maybe the UTM's dovetail has changed over the years or perhaps Mod Armory did something else to allow the UTM/UTMX to work today but it did not back then without a modification.

Original Wilcox UTM/UTMX Dovetail.
utm_shoe.jpg