• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Could my scope be the problem?

Helidriver

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I decided to get a rimfire (17 HMR) to shoot along side my boys. They don't like dad's "Big Guns". My groups have been terrible and inconsistent, well over 2 moa, some over 3. I have tried all makes and weights of ammo with the same results. Online reviews of the rifle show accuracy just under 1 moa. I thought it was the rifle but I'm starting to think it's my scope. It's a Cabela's Tactical Rimfire 6-18 with parallax adjustment. I noticed that the parallax is extreme and takes a lot of very fine adjustments to get rid of it. When I mean extreme I mean the cross hairs will jump 5 moa when doing a head check if not adjusted. Could this be my problem? I figure if I'm not 100% consistent with my cheek weld with a scope that will move the cross hairs 5moa if not adjusted could be causing the problem.

I don't have another 1" scope to fit to it and my boys shoot iron sights. I also don't want to put an expensive scope on a rimfire. Hell the gun was only $269.

Any ideas?

Re: Could my scope be the problem?

Yes, it could be the scope. I'd let someone else shoot the rifle to verify.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to put a good scope on a rimfire. If anything, a rimfire needs it. I run a Vortex PST on my 10/22 and I'm glad that I got it.

I'll sell you a USO
wink.gif

Good idea Toni.

I don't want to put money on a rimefire scope because I just punch holes in soda cans and paper with it. I guess if i want it to perform I might have to.

Judging from your avatar (the eagle, globe, and anchor) you have spent time blazing at a 500 yard target with no scope. I say if you want to keep it inexpensive go back to the basics with iron sights. if yo wanna go with optics I also have a Vortex PST and have no regrets that it cost more than the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S.W.A.T_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging from your avatar (the eagle, globe, and anchor) you have spent time blazing at a 500 yard target with no scope. I say if you want to keep it inexpensive go back to the basics with iron sights. if yo wanna go with optics I also have a Vortex PST and have no regrets that it cost more than the rifle. </div></div>

Yep, spent my time behind iron sights and still like to on occasion. But I like my scoped rifles and I guess I will have to bite the bullet on this one.

If you can shoot 1 MOA or better with a different rifle I would say most likely the scope, I don't know what rifle you have but I have 3 ( Remington 597 & 2 marlin bolt actions ) and all three shoot 1" or better at 100 yds most of the time pretty much with any ammo and that's with inexpensive optics ( nitrex 1.5-5x? 32, leupold 2-7x32 and a old 4x bushnell ), That's with calm or no wind and I clean them approximately every 200 rds.

If you are looking for an inexpensive rimfire scope check out the Mueller line. the APV and APT are great scopes for rimfires. I run them on multiple rifles.