• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Could someone explain...?

TxPride

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
TEXAS!
I just got in My go-nogo gauge kit in preparation for swapping barrels and tried it on My factory savage .308. When I ran the no-go it fully seated and the bolt locked down, this seems like an issue to Me, is it?

Re: Could someone explain...?

1. GO: Corresponds to the minimum chamber dimensions. If a rifle closes on a GO gage, the chamber will accept ammunition that is made to SAAMI’s maximum specifications. The GO gage is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight, accurate and safe chamber that will accept SAAMI maximum ammo. Although the GO gage is necessary for a gunsmith or armorer, it usually has fewer applications for the collector or surplus firearms purchaser.

2. NO-GO: Corresponds to the maximum headspace recommended for gunsmiths chambering new firearms. This is NOT a SAAMI-maximum measurement. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gage, it may still be within SAAMI specifications or it may have excessive headspace. To determine if there is excessive headspace, the chamber should then be checked with a FIELD gage. The NO-GO gage is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight and accurate chamber.

3. FIELD: Corresponds to the longest safe headspace. If a rifle closes on a FIELD gage, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI’s specified maximum chamber size. If chamber headspace is excessive, the gun should be taken out of service until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith. FIELD gages are slightly shorter than the SAAMI maximum in order to give a small safety margin.

So when installing a new barrel, the field gauge is not necessary? unless something is wrong with the chamber of the new barrel.?.

The new barrel is a savage factory replacement barrel from Shilen.

If your bolt closes on a no-go gauge, it should be checked with a field gauge to make sure it is safe. Can't you adjust your savage barrel to shorten headspace?

A field gauge is not necessary on a new install. Your bolt should close on the go gauge but not the no-go gauge.

Fail on My part. Could a Mod toss this over into the gunsmith forum?

Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to swap barrels anyway, so the factory barrel is none of My concern anymore. Just needed some clarification.

have you seen the video?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KICBv-0U87Y"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KICBv-0U87Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

When installing, just use the Go and No-go gauges. The field gauge is for what it sounds like--to be used in the field for rapidly changing barrels.