• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Could something like this support a Dillon 550C?

Srikaleak

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2018

I have very little space and plan on moving around quite a bit over the next decade. Done right, could this support a Dillon? I want to be able to clamp this down onto whatever surface I have available.

Looks like it would work on a 550.

But you could just buy the stongmount instead. I use the strongmount and then 3 large c- clamps to mount the press onto the corner of a sturdy table. The back corner of the mount closest to the center of the table ends up without a clamp on it as I did not want to go buy a clamp that is 10 or so inches “deep”. But the press is stable/fine with just the 3 others edges clamped down to a oak table

I think I'd like to build something a bit taller, just in case I had to reload off the ground. Could I do that with the strong mount?

It would be possible to run a strongmount on the ground, but you would need to be kneeling. It could also be bolted to some 4x4 spacers to raise the height, but don’t think that you would really be comfortable doing much work with anything lower than waist level.

Reactions: Srikaleak
Yea you're probably right. I'll have to do some mockups to see what's feasible.

Is the top level or tilted back? I believe you need the press level due to the measure on the 550.

In the article they have it tilted but I'd make it level for the Dillon

what is your definition of very little space? I loaded for years on a 3'X2' bench constructed with 2X4s and 3/4" plywood. It was lag screwed to the wall studs and held up to heavy duty sizing and case forming.

If you have a solid top coffee table just drill some holes in the top of that and reload in comfort from your couch in front of the tv. A few wing nuts and it’s off and clean.

Another space limitation solution is somethng like a Black & Decker workmate that can be folded and put away in a closet.

what is your definition of very little space? I loaded for years on a 3'X2' bench constructed with 2X4s and 3/4" plywood. It was lag screwed to the wall studs and held up to heavy duty sizing and case forming.
I do not have space for another "permanent" piece of furniture like a work bench to house the loading equipment. So the reloading station needs to be able to be shuffled around on the regular.

A lot of good ideas and the central theme is to just bolt the press to a plank of sorts and clamp that plank to existing table tops.

Started out with a wooden footlocker while traveling as young marine officer. When things got a little more permanent converted an old teachers desk to loading station....
They all work, do they compare to custom reloading bench purpose built... No, but when time comes to move I’ll have fond memories of that footlocker...

You need rigid and also weight helps. Example: I mounted a 650 via strong mount to a 2'x8' bench well made from 2x4's with a 3/4 ply top. There was still enough flex to cause inconsistent powder drops. The 2x framing was already glued and fastened with screws. I put an additional 3/4 ply top on the bench with a grid of liquid nails and wood screws. Added 2x bracing beneath the press mount and secured the bench to the floor and adjacent wall. Powder drops became much more consistent. You may be surprised how much force the press puts on the bench.

BTW, Trump's still your president.

I'll second the B&D Workmate. One of my 550's (dedicated 45ACP), is bolted to a scrap piece of 2x10 approx 2 1/2 foot long, close to the end. Just enough to the left of press to sit a 500/1000 count box of bullets. The 2x10 is c-clamped(3) to the top of the Workmate's fully closed top with the press just off the left end of Workmate for linkage to clear. My 38 550 is likewise mounted but to a 2x8 hanging off the end of my main loading bench. I use large thick washers under the c-clamps to reduce compressing the wood. I have the step part facing me. it makes a good place to sit my clean brass while loading.

Frank