• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Could use some Alaska vacation advice

AwesomeDude

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
Hey guys, would appreciate any input/advice on a trip to Alaska. I need some time away and would love nothing more than to visit Alaska for the first time. Ideally I could find a spot where I could go shoot and fish independently as well as book a hunt and guided fishing trip. Don't even have an idea of where to start, but if I could squeeze in a trip to Denali that would be ideal. Looking to spend 10-14 days out there and could really use some help! Looking to get out there in August/September.

Thanks everyone.

Hey guys, would appreciate any input/advice on a trip to Alaska. I need some time away and would love nothing more than to visit Alaska for the first time. Ideally I could find a spot where I could go shoot and fish independently as well as book a hunt and guided fishing trip. Don't even have an idea of where to start, but if I could squeeze in a trip to Denali that would be ideal. Looking to spend 10-14 days out there and could really use some help! Looking to get out there in August/September.

Thanks everyone.
You’d be lucky if you can get in that soon. Most of these guided hunts are planned way in advance. Start with Google.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.guides
Then call fish and wild life for any more details that aren’t clear. Most game wardens can recommend guides.

Reactions: AwesomeDude
I have traveled there twice. I would recommend you start very early in your planning. Unless you want to deal with a bunch of snow, etc., You want to arrive there during last two weeks of June (which is often when the sun never goes down) And to do that, you really need to book all your reservations in January.. no later than February. Either that, or you take a "Holland America Cruise" line trip which is half boat and half train. When I went, they had their own train cars piggy backed on the back of the standard Alaska Railroad that goes from Anchorage to Fairbanks, via Denali Natl. Park. I also took the Alaska Railroad but not with Holland America. I did my own reservations there. If you are staying in Anchorage, stay at the "Hotel Captain Cook." Best recommendation. A little expensive, but worth it and it keeps you in the center of Anchorage. There are several different hotel options for Denali Natl. Park. I've done both a hotel inside the park and outside the park. I recommend the "inside the park" Hotel. There's also a nice hotel the Aleyska Resort hotel in Girdwood, AK, just south of Anchorage.

Other than that, there;s a lot to do and see. I recall an acting troup there in the park who do true "dinner theater." The actors in the show are also your waiters for the dinner (it's done family style). In Anchorage, I enjoyed a night at "Mr. Whitekey's Fly by night club," but I don't think it's operating anymore.

Anyway, enjoy your trip, nonetheless. Feel Free to ask any questions.

The hotel captain hooks resturaunt has really good breakfast. Thats the only thing I ate there but it was so good I wanted to go back and try everything else

Fly up.
rent a van with a bed.

drive around.

Fly around Denali out of Talkeetna after you go into Denali Park.
TAT is good. As is K2, but I think they went crazy corporate. Ask for Randy K for a pilot at K2. Smart old bush pilot. Top end flyer.

Go fishing where ever.
Depending on what you like.
hiking and fly fishing for Grayling in Sept is a blast.
you can spin for them too.

If you want to do a fly out fishing trip, see about a trip to the Alaska Peninsula.
Used to work in Soldotna and like the crew at High Adventure Air. Talon Air is good peeps too. ask for Jeremy as a guide at Talon. Good dude.

I prefer halibut and such out of Seward myself. But Homer is awesome too. Do both if you can afford it.
Look into Chenai Charters and Captain Suzy. Nice lady and always has a great catch it seems.
more than other captains.... 😁

Hunts book way out.

Fly up.
rent a van with a bed.

drive around.

Fly around Denali out of Talkeetna after you go into Denali Park.
TAT is good. As is K2, but I think they went crazy corporate. Ask for Randy K for a pilot at K2. Smart old bush pilot. Top end flyer.

Go fishing where ever.
Depending on what you like.
hiking and fly fishing for Grayling in Sept is a blast.
you can spin for them too.

If you want to do a fly out fishing trip, see about a trip to the Alaska Peninsula.
Used to work in Soldotna and like the crew at High Adventure Air. Talon Air is good peeps too. ask for Jeremy as a guide at Talon. Good dude.

I prefer halibut and such out of Seward myself. But Homer is awesome too. Do both if you can afford it.
Look into Chenai Charters and Captain Suzy. Nice lady and always has a great catch it seems.
more than other captains.... 😁

Hunts book way out.
This is a great idea! I'm looking into an RV rental now. Thanks for the advise

enjoy it and good luck remember only you can prevent forest fires . if the bear is wearing a hat and looking for picnick baskets it's not yogi bear and yes you could be on the menu pet them at your own risk but if by chance you do video's of the encounter would be great as are pics of the vacation everyone loves to see special places people get to go except out houses seen one seen them all . best wishes for a great vacation .

Don’t miss out on some small stuff too. Watch the boretide if you can catch it time wise. Get as close to a glacier as you can. Can head up to the old nike hercules launch site across the road from JBEAR. If it is still there, Stuart Anderson steakhouse used to be a good place for some local seafood. They used to serve a mean crab stuffed halibut dish. The little marine museum at Seward is pretty neat to check out as well. Maybe take a ride on the train if you can swing it.

The wife and I did the trip a couple years back. Low expectations unless you do off the beaten path tours. Generic tourist traps are pretty near worthless and disappointing. Denali the mountain is difficult to see no matter what because of the weather it creates, we didn't see it at all. Bears, Moose, Caribou etc. zero, we saw a duck and some ravens on our Denali bus ride of 5 hours. Pulling back into the hotel are there was a moose go figure. We went from Anchorage to Denali and if I did it again I would go from Fairbanks down and will do that again once travel opens up better.

Thanks for the reply. I have an RV on hold, still trying to figure out if I should go or not.

Whats holding you back from going?

My buddy went last summer. About 5% of the normal summer traffic so it was super awesome.
Im going next year. Was thinking about this year, but just couldn't make it happen.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Since you’ve got a motorhome reserved, pick up one of these books and drive the Parks Hwy to Fairbanks, then down the Richardson back to Anc. The book has every park, highway and byway you can imagine. To include species of fish in each lake and amenities offered. You can chew up two weeks pretty easy just doing that. Hit Chena hot springs north of Fairbanks. Kinda nice there. If you’re up in Sept, bring a shotty and whack some grouse in the Delta Junction area on the road to Tok. You’ll see mts, glaciers, wild rivers and the occasional wild person.

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Atlas...1624069326&sprefix=Alaska+gaze,aps,306&sr=8-3

Double Musky restaurant in Girdwood, south of Anchorage. Before they open ( dinner service only), you can hike Crow Pass or Winner Creek in Girdwood proper.

Like Powdahound said, fly in rent a vehicle and go for a drive, that's what I suggest to everyone that wants to visit Alaska. Rode my motorcycle up several years ago from central Calif. Camped a little, got rooms when we wanted. Never had an issue getting a room when we wanted one. Two years later I flew up with my wife, rented an suv and went from Homer to Skagway and lots of places in between. The drive into Haines is one of the best I've ever seen anywhere. Had some lodging scheduled, other times we found a place when we wanted to stay someplace for a day or two. It's a great place, just do it.

I'm a big fan of the Kenai Peninsula. I don't know much about hunting opportunities, but the fishing on the Russian, Kenai, Kasilof rivers are great, as well as ocean fishing from Ninilchik to Homer.

Reactions: putput30
I'm a big fan of the Kenai Peninsula. I don't know much about hunting opportunities, but the fishing on the Russian, Kenai, Kasilof rivers are great, as well as ocean fishing from Ninilchik to Homer.

I've got an idea. Maybe we could all head that way, rent a crabbing boat and make a TV show about our adventures.

Whadya think???????

I've got an idea. Maybe we could all head that way, rent a crabbing boat and make a TV show about our adventures.

Whadya think???????
Man, I just got back home on Wednesday from a week up there. I wish I could move back up there!

I'm sure visiting in June is a bit different than living there in January.
True dat.
6A9A3B62-142A-49BF-A5F3-8FB419681955.jpeg