• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report couldn't get good groups.

edk

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2007
Wewere shooting at 600 yards last summer. 3 of us with some good groups on previous occasions.Factory guns with groups aslow as 2.55 inches.The evening i'm talking about was perfect with no wind-about 70 degrees-cloud cover.Best group that night was 8 inches. Were just average guys and can't figure it out.Anyone have a logical explanation. I did have about a 4 inch group till my last round then it went to 8. No mirage visible that we could see. Ideas? ed k

Re: couldn't get good groups.

There are to many unknowns in your post to give a meaningful answer.

Rifle? Scope? Caliber? Load? position?

Sometimes the Goddess of Good Groups smiles upon ya and other times she's asleep.

Could be operator error, could be scope, could be loading practices. Like Sako said, way too many variables to just give an answer. At that distance it's hard to narrow things down to any one thing.

Topstrap

I know the variables but it just seemed strange that all 3 of us had the same problem on the same evening.Someone mentioned barometric pressure but i thought that would just affect impact point not group size. position(sitting on a bench with sand bags)
remington 700 rifles
3oo win mag and 2 308's
nikon monarch 6-20 power
2 of the rifles are heavy barrel and my 3oo is regular rifle. thanks for any ideas. ed k

Many people who think that a gun which groups sub-MOA at short range like 100 yards will group that way further out. That turns out not to be the case, as things which make no difference at short range, like velocity differences between rounds, shooters slightly changing their position, parallax error, and bullet variance, start to make a difference.

And there's always <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> wind.

My advice is not to shoot groups.