• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple of issues with my Mauser K98

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
this isn't much of a "vintage sniper rifle" but i'm looking for some help.

I bought this from a guy whose friend built it as his project in gunsmithing school.
Mauser K98 action
timney trigger
shilen barrel
chambered in 450 bushmaster

issues:
#1) it looks like the follower was shortened but now it does not stay in the magwell and pops up into the raceway causing the bolt to stick. it also looks like a feed ramp was machined to come close to fitting the short round. Fixes?

#2) the bolt handle has been modified, maybe to clear a scope? However, it doesn't clear mine. obviously, i can ditch the Talley Lows but will Talley highs make it work? Thoughs?

#1) it looks like the follower was shortened but now it does not stay in the magwell and pops up into the raceway causing the bolt to stick. it also looks like a feed ramp was machined to come close to fitting the short round. Fixes?

Sounds like the follower was shortened on the wrong end. (If I remember right the are tapered from back to front). I'd just get another follower. Probably wont have to shorten it but if you do, work on the other end.

Maybe just the angle of the pic, but the mounts look very low compared to a vintage 98k "precision rifle".

Added to that, it looks like you have a raised comb on the stock so, with taller mounts, I'd think you'll still be ahead of the "chin weld" you normally associate with an original 98k. Whether it fits you, is comfortable and repeatable is another matter:

Got to wonder....if the guy machined the wrong end of the follower so that it pops into the raceway, how his course project went down with his tutors? Did he graduate?? Where is he working now?? ;)

Last edited:

That is the way the rifle was designed. In the heat of battle when the magazine runs empty the bolt will not close, letting the soldier know they need to reload. Unless I'm reading your description of the issue wrong.

That is the way the rifle was designed. In the heat of battle when the magazine runs empty the bolt will not close, letting the soldier know they need to reload. Unless I'm reading your description of the issue wrong.

This is the first thing that came to my mind.

As for the scope, maybe taller rings.

100% correct....I "ASS-U-ME"d (maybe incorrectly) that the OP was describing additional work that the guy had done that made this a problem, not the original design feature/benefit?

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was the original design... I'm sure that was the issue. Thanks.

The Leupold super high rings didn't cut it...

As for the follower, when we built K98s into hunting rifles in the 1970s, we would grind down the back edge so the bolt would over ride the follower.

I was thinking like Kraig and BasraBoy in that the whole follower popped up into the raceway. Not the normal function of some followers (not all were like that) that blocks the closing of the bolt when the magazine is empty.

FWIW, it's annoying but effective.