• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

couple question for my first custom

vszero

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2013
baltimore, md
so i am planning to do my first build for long distance 600-800 yards, and i am wondering is .308 good for beginner or 300 win mag

the rifle i will be getting is remington 700 police with deatachable mags.
i am planning to get xlr chassis system, i am wondering should i get new barrel.
and also how does truing/chamber action improve?

I would say that the .308 is a good caliber to start with especially if your not reloading yet. Plenty of factory match ammo available at a some what decent price. The win mag is a good round out to and beyond 1000 meters but with added recoil and added expense in ammo. I have had rifles that are stock 700's and my most recent is a 700 that is trued and has a new bartlein barrel. There are many factors in accuracy then just truing an action. Barrel, Stock, trigger, ammo, optics and shooter are the main contributors to either having an accurate rifle or not. You can give someone a million dollar rifle and it will shoot like shit because the person behind the wheel lacks the basic fundamentals. If your planning on getting a new barrel and having other work done then skip getting the 700 police. Your paying for parts your going to just remove. You would be better off getting a 700 5R and then just go shoot it. Spend the money on a quality optic and good ammo. Take it for a few test runs and see if this is the sport you want to not only invest your money in but also your life. Being able to hit your target is allot "cooler" then having a rifle with all the best parts and not being able to shoot the side of a barn.

I would say that the .308 is a good caliber to start with especially if your not reloading yet. Plenty of factory match ammo available at a some what decent price. The win mag is a good round out to and beyond 1000 meters but with added recoil and added expense in ammo. I have had rifles that are stock 700's and my most recent is a 700 that is trued and has a new bartlein barrel. There are many factors in accuracy then just truing an action. Barrel, Stock, trigger, ammo, optics and shooter are the main contributors to either having an accurate rifle or not. You can give someone a million dollar rifle and it will shoot like shit because the person behind the wheel lacks the basic fundamentals. If your planning on getting a new barrel and having other work done then skip getting the 700 police. Your paying for parts your going to just remove. You would be better off getting a 700 5R and then just go shoot it. Spend the money on a quality optic and good ammo. Take it for a few test runs and see if this is the sport you want to not only invest your money in but also your life. Being able to hit your target is allot "cooler" then having a rifle with all the best parts and not being able to shoot the side of a barn.

the police sniper i found is on sale for 700 bucks at one shop near my home, one person ordered that rifle but never picked up.
i do hunt as well, and i do go to range for practicing up to 300 yards, but this will be my first rifle for long ranges

Last edited:
the police sniper i found is on sale for 700 bucks at one shop near my home, one person ordered that rifle but never picked up.
i do hunt as well, and i do go to range for practicing up to 300 yards, but this will be my first rifle for long ranges

I was just saying that if your going to true and rebarrel then save a few bucks and get the cheapest 700 you can find. Thats a good deal on a PSS if your just going to scope it and shoot. I picked up a SPS Varmint for $600 and then threw everything but the action and bolt in the trash (so to speak). I had Chad at LongRifles do all the work for around $800 which included truing, rebarreling, 8/40 scope base, double pinned lug, cerakote and threading barrel. It was a total of 7 days from the time I shipped till the time it arrived at my door. I went with a Bartlein SS 11.25 M24 barrel and cut it to 16". It is mainly a coyote gun. Probably not ideal for hunting being that it's heavy but i'm use to lugging around 100+ pounds all day.

I was just saying that if your going to true and rebarrel then save a few bucks and get the cheapest 700 you can find. Thats a good deal on a PSS if your just going to scope it and shoot. I picked up a SPS Varmint for $600 and then threw everything but the action and bolt in the trash (so to speak). I had Chad at LongRifles do all the work for around $800 which included truing, rebarreling, 8/40 scope base, double pinned lug, cerakote and threading barrel. It was a total of 7 days from the time I shipped till the time it arrived at my door. I went with a Bartlein SS 11.25 M24 barrel and cut it to 16". It is mainly a coyote gun. Probably not ideal for hunting being that it's heavy but i'm use to lugging around 100+ pounds all day.

did you buy the barrel or they supplied it?

Save the cash if you are just needing a rifle for a donor action... Academy Sports has the baseline Rem700 for $369.00.... Have bought a couple and discarded everything but the receiver and bolt and came in cheaper than buying a bare action from Brownells....