• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple questions about Alpha 6.5CM brass.

mustang-cars

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
Im thinking about moving to Alpha brass for my 6.5CM. Couple of concerns. I use a standard Forster FL sizing die. Does the Alpha brass require neck turning? My chamber is a standard SAAMI spec chamber cut by bugholes. Any other concerns or added process’ to reloading caused by using Alpha brass?

I don't have the 6.5CM but do have the 260 brass which I resize to 6.5 SLR. No problems resizing or shooting. In fact am very impressed with the brass. Mine is small primer which I hope will extend the life of the brass as my problem with my 260 brass was loose primer pockets after 7-8 reloads. Also the brass comes in a nice 100rd case. When I measured the neck thickness it was .015, I think? Anyway great brass.
Also when I weighed them, all were within 1 grain and 90% were within .6 grain. Very consistent. The weight was on par with Lapua's brass.

I use Alpha and I haven't had to turn necks. I treat it the same as I treated Prime or Hornady brass. Tumble, FL size with Redding Type S and bushing, run a mandrel through to set neck tension, etc. I anneal after every other firing.

I don't have the 6.5CM but do have the 260 brass which I resize to 6.5 SLR. No problems resizing or shooting. In fact am very impressed with the brass. Mine is small primer which I hope will extend the life of the brass as my problem with my 260 brass was loose primer pockets after 7-8 reloads. Also the brass comes in a nice 100rd case. When I measured the neck thickness it was .015, I think? Anyway great brass.
Also when I weighed them, all were within 1 grain and 90% were within .6 grain. Very consistent. The weight was on par with Lapua's brass.

pinzmann- I run a 6.5 SLR as well, use Lapua brass and hate having to turn necks. I take it that you're not having any donut issues and neck turning is unnecessary with alpha brass so far?

mustang-cars- My apologies, not trying to highjack.

Hos

No donuts plus they resize really well. Trying to get a buddy to try the 6.5CM in his gun but he just bought a bunch of Lapua brass so it may be awhile

When the Alpha is back in stock I think I’m just going to leap in and buy the 500 ct pack.

It’s great stuff. Necks are thicker than what you’re used to but I found it’s slightly more consistent than lapua. I didn’t try the SRP but the large rifle didn’t last as long as lapua SRP ( this was in creedmoor) no extra steps were required for it.

its very nice brass. its kinda thick all over though. so make sure to start lower than what you read on here (or see in the charts) for powder and work your way up. the neck is thicker, but I have only heard of guys having issues with chambers that were cut with a tight neck for the hornady brass. I have some that I necked down to 6 creed and didn't need to turn it on mine.

as far as life goes, you may see a little more life out of SRP stuff, but with a normal (not max load) guys were getting 30+ firings on that brass. so, you will get your moneys worth.

plus the guys at alpha are great. if you have any issues, they will make it right. PERIOD. love supporting an American company too.