• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Courageous Lake Caribou?

ARodPDT117

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Some friends and I are planning a Caribou hunt for fall 2011 and we are interested in this outfitter. Has anyone had any experience with them and is it as fantastic as the website makes it out to be. I appreciate any feedback. Take Care.

Re: Courageous Lake Caribou?

ARod,

I hunted with them in Sept. 2007 and had a hell of a good time. They are very organized and follow through with everything they say they are going to do. Do not hestiate to hunt caribou with these guys - Great food, camp, staff and hunting, no doubt!!!

Here is a pic of my bull - not the largest, but not the smallest either. You will see tons of caribou, tundra grizzlies (in camp 3 times while I was there),probably a wolf or two, and maybe a wolverine. Lake trout fishing is awesome also - your arm will hurt if you get into them!!

caribouhuntfolderjpg_0010.jpg

Another pic of him on the wall at home:

Mountpics003.jpg

Gimme a shout if you have any other questions at all - I'll try my best to answer them for you.

Take care,

Jeff

scan0014.jpg

Gonna get you fired up for a Caribou hunt!! NWT bull from the Mackenzie Mountains.(Mountain Caribou)

Courageous Lake is a good outfit...have several friends that have hunted with those guys.

Thanks for the post guys, those bulls are awesome and I am now super excited...I had read a bunch of good things already but I knew you guys would be the proof in the pudding, I am sure I will come up with some questions so I will hit you up, thanks

buckey - excellent bull and nice mount, -1 for griz

rich - i would love to get back to wyoming and hunt some muleys so I will keep that in mind (Grandparents used to live in Gilette, still have family in Sheridan)

PGS - Thanks for the photo, that is a helluva a take down

Thanks for the input, take care everyone

buckey - first question, how late did you hunt them? we were trying to decide if we should go early and catch them in the velvet or wait till most of it has dropped off.

scan0007-1.jpg

This is what they look like just coming out of velvet...antlers are blood red.

ARod,

I went from something like Sept. 13th - 20th. There were hard horned bulls and bulls still in velevet. I wanted a hard horned bull.

The weather was pretty decent then, 30's to 40's but the boat rides are still cold in the early morning!! I hunted the Lac de Gras Camp. We watched bulls parade around only 100 yds or so from camp - they were everywhere!!

#1 tip = BE PATIENT!!!!! Look for the first 2 days (unless you see an absolute monster), then hunt the last 3. It will give you better judgement on how big a bull is. There is no doubt in my mind you'll fill your tag with a very nice bou' !!!!

Try to get one of the younger guides (request it) - they really like to get after them. They will go anywhere and everywhere trying to get you a big bull. They are almost as happy as you will be when you lay one down.

Anything else I can help with, just gimme a shout.

Jeff

scan0055.jpg

Buckey, Thanks! I agree with you on the hard antlers...velvet antlers are a pain in the rear. Difficult to get them home un- damaged. And hard to stain back to a natural color.

This one had a little bit of everything.

awesome pics PGS, thanks

buckey thanks for the info i really appreciate it. Let the countdown begin
smile.gif

There is a picture in the latest 'Nosler Reloading Manual' of the sign from this outfit, with a bunch of Nosler employee and the game they shot.

Great pictures PGS.

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mackenzie Mountains Sept. 6, 1996. 44 points.

Blackoutbou.jpg
</div></div>

what the heck happened to your face ?
grin.gif

nice picture !!