• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cow Pie Surprise!

Al Rick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2006
Las Vegas
Came across this little bugger this morning while out Coyote hunting. Just crossed a small wash and was looking for my next move up the other side. I was thinking that the ground looked solid next to the Cow Pie, as I was making my way up the wash toward the Cow Pie - things just did not look quite right.
eek.gif

Sneaky little bugger - man this one just sat there, no rattle, no movement, nothing! We both will live to see another day
smile.gif

Picture491.jpg

Re: Cow Pie Surprise!

Talk about being in a world of shit...

you let him go on his way or did you dispatch him and enjoy some sauteed snake?

I HATE rattlers, killed over 40 last summer, only got about 10 so far this summer.

That's a pretty snake, also pretty deadly. I believe he would have been stretched on a board, soon to be a hat band if it was me.

I have to deal with them on a daily basis at work. I don't ever let one get away. Luckily the prairie rattlers don't get super big. Biggest one I've killed so far was 51" without the head. Pretty rare to find one that big here.

Funny thing about this is the picture does not really show how well the Rattler was camouflaged - it was very overcast and early in the morning. The photo makes the Rattler kinda stick out, but actually he was very well hidden. I should have taken a few more pictures of my approach and some at a distance.

I'm actually waiting to find a very large Rattler to harvest, try the meat, make something out of the skin, and hopefully it's got a nice rattler on the end.

I'm guessing that this guy was about 3' +/-

For a little guy, he sure got my heart a pumping!!!

I think the prairie rattler's venom is neurotoxic as opposed to hemotoxic. This one shuts down ur breathin an heartbeat. The other is slower acting I think and does a lot of tissue damage.
JH

I dont think I have ever left a rattle live when I find them. Bull snakes and others get a pass but if it can hurt me or my family it dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the prairie rattler's venom is neurotoxic as opposed to hemotoxic. This one shuts down ur breathin an heartbeat. The other is slower acting I think and does a lot of tissue damage.
JH </div></div>

Rattlers have hemotoxic venom! Used to work in zoo reptile house. Very nasty stuff basically just makes ur blood cells blow up. They had a timber rattler that weighed 11lbs and had no rattles so u never knew what kind of mood she was in when you open the cage to clean it. Hated that damn thing

If I had walked up on that snake it would have a choose of PIE to chose from. HAHA