• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Coyote bait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"KNOW"?</div></div>

beat me to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brickbd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions that you NOW actually work????</div></div>

I shot one off a dead cow carcass once. The trick is to find a spot to shoot from that you can sneak in and out of without being seen or heard by the coyote.

Deer backbones and ribcages from your local deer processor. Get a truckload and store them in a barn or shed. Take two at a time and wire them to a tree or a T-post that you can ambush as JCH stated. If you don't wire them to something they will haul them off. If you don't wear out one site you can make multiple kills over a period of time.
I would think it would work even better in MN than here.

I heard a story worth a try.

Guy said that he dug a PVC pipe into the ground at an angle, and threw a whole chicken into it.

The whole thing was based off the belief that he had that coyotes couldn't get back up so they ended up stuck in there.

His story had him finding three coyotes in there.

I'm more of a tree stand guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brickbd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions that you NOW actually work???? </div></div>
There is No best bait for Coyote .
It true you can get Coyote to return to a dead carcass & make part of there feeding stops . but You Cant go killing a Cow or Goat or whatever every time you want to go hunt Coyote . So .... looks like you have to learn to use hunting skills & instinct to Bait there sense of hearing or site or both . Or No Bait. & learn a breeding packs locations & Routes of travel & Don't Bait & Call, but use Ambush .

Okay Brick,let us koow what your circumstances are or what you're trying to do. That'll help us help you.

If there are livestock killing coyotes hitting a place regular or just out hunting in an area?

I've got a small farm full of horses, goats, ducks, chickens, turkey, guineas and geese; so my place is already on their "stop in and dine" route. So I'll stake a "random death" duck or chicken to a particular spot that I have good coverage and easy access to, to hold them a little longer to get a shot off. That's just how I deal with it on the farm.

A few years back, I got a good Idea from the lads in australia. They'll take a roadkill kangaroo or random death sheep (meaning you woke up and it was just laying there dead) and tie it behind a quad and drag it in a huge "S" shape to their spot. That leaves a huge scent trail for the dingos or foxes to follow cross and pick up the scent. They'll follow it into the killzone and give you a shot at them.

Once again, it depends on the time of year as to what they are eating regular which will attract them quicker than others.

Feed us some details and maybe we can help you better.

Cheers,
Breeze

For all you pious hunters out there that don't believe in all this and must sleep with the damn things to kill them respectfully...or whatever. Shut the fuck up, my farm, my livestock and I'll kill all of them anyway i can by any means. They take food off my table and money out of our pockets. There are no rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"KNOW"? </div></div>

I dont even know what to say to that...... Thats my fault, I apologize, I left myself wide open on that one and this is not for the "faint at heart" type of site!!!

Thanks crucifying me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay Brick,let us koow what your circumstances are or what you're trying to do. That'll help us help you.

</div></div>

I am completely new to coyote hunting. I have spent the last week researching, reading and attempting to pick the brains of you guys to have success out there. So if it seems as though I am trying to nit-pick, I apologize. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE IN REGARD TO THIS PARTICULAR CRAFT!!!!

Having said that, I am looking for ideas as to what to use to get them in. When I say "In", I mean within 600 yards to practice long range skills. My plan is to let anything within 150 yards live, anything outside of that is fair game. Yes, i know all of that sounds stupid to some, but banging stationary steel gets old after awhile...... IN MY OPINION!

SSSSOOOO, I would like to use the MN territory to my advantage to pick off as many as I can. We have them thick here..... SUPPOSEDLY. We hear them at night but dont see them much during the day.

Tomorrow morning, I plan on being "on base" at five before the sun comes up in order to have at least two put down by breakfast at 8:30.

I was just wondering what bait you all were using.

Well Pal, did you have any luck?

I was new to this game til I got my farm loaded out with meal sources. I started with a bunch of good lads at "Midwest predator hunters" forum. it's based out of Indiana, but similar tight woods and farmland mix. Good mix of guys and a shitload of good reading/learning. Have a look around.

Cheers,
SB

its hard to "bait" coyotes when its warm out, your best bet, especially living in MN, is waiting till later on in the fall or winter when it gets cold, then you will have alot more options.