• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote calling device?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I'll preface with that I am the type of hunter that has never used any kind of bait or tree-stand, etc. I've hunted alot of pigs at night in Florida and have been out hunting coyotes now in Utah in the dark. Have been told that the coyotes here are a bit of a different breed in that they are quite crafty and smart given that they are hunted all of the time. With that, and the gigantic amount of land available to me, I feel that it will be impossible to really learn where they are and either drive them out or ambush them on their way to something that they go out to at night (i.e. water source) and wanted to give calling them in a shot.

Thing is, I have zero idea about what is used or what to get. Cruising around the internet there are a million sites with the 'best' coyote call or contraption - what actually works and doesn't require an engineering degree to assemble and use? I'm not against spending some cash on this, but didn't want to end up learning this the hard way with buying a bunch of crap.

Suggestions?

Quick and easy version.

Good Rifle (you are here, so we can check that off!)

Any loud rabbit call
    Any loud howler
    A quieter call or squeaker as a 'finisher' if needed (luxury)
    A motion decoy, the cheap ones are fine, doesn't need to be remote control or anything (luxury)

Big thing is just setup, hit the calls (howler or rabbit squealer, generally not both) for 5 minutes or so, wait a minute or 2, repeat.

If no one comes looking in the 30-40 minutes, it probably isn't going to happen. Pickup and move to a new location a 1 mile or so away.

Be well camouflaged, watch the reflective stuff (sunglasses, scopes, etc.)

They will most likely attempt to come in from down wind, so setup in a way that prohibits the dogs from trying to come in from downwind if possible. At least survey your surrounds and look for the path that they will be taking to make that circle.

And learn how to shoot quick, or shoot at movers. They don't stop moving for more than a second or two at a time.

Good luck, and post the pics. Their good hides should start coming in around November.

Not too many virgin ears in Utah.....thanks to the bounty system they have there.

Yeah that's the first thing I was told. $55 per coyote, no limit, no license.

Figured given some time, I'd have a few areas here mapped out and would have wandered through them enough to see tracks and figure out where they are going/coming from. The problem is that with the ridiculous amount of land here, they move around all of the time and as you said, they are quite aware as to what the deal is around here.

The only advantage I have is that apparently no-one around here hunts at night, so a PVS14, ANPEQ2A and a Mk12 with a suppressor should help me out a bit.

Trying to call them is kind of something for me to try while I put in the time to learn the immense landscape here.

Quick and easy version.

Good Rifle (you are here, so we can check that off!)

Any loud rabbit call
    Any loud howler
    A quieter call or squeaker as a 'finisher' if needed (luxury)
    A motion decoy, the cheap ones are fine, doesn't need to be remote control or anything (luxury)

Big thing is just setup, hit the calls (howler or rabbit squealer, generally not both) for 5 minutes or so, wait a minute or 2, repeat.

If no one comes looking in the 30-40 minutes, it probably isn't going to happen. Pickup and move to a new location a 1 mile or so away.

Be well camouflaged, watch the reflective stuff (sunglasses, scopes, etc.)

They will most likely attempt to come in from down wind, so setup in a way that prohibits the dogs from trying to come in from downwind if possible. At least survey your surrounds and look for the path that they will be taking to make that circle.

And learn how to shoot quick, or shoot at movers. They don't stop moving for more than a second or two at a time.

Good luck, and post the pics. Their good hides should start coming in around November.

Cool. I'll try out the basic calls and a decoy and go from there. I started looking and things were getting into the hundreds of dollars range and I figured I'd ask before I spent alot of cash on nothing.

Nice thing here is that the terrain has many mini-cliffs and rises that work well to put yourself against or around when hunting. The wind generally comes from 1 direction here at night, so that may play well for me too if I know the layout of where I am going to be.

What do you mean by them making that circle? As in they come from downwind and then walk past at great distance to see if they passed something?

Just get out and give it a try...grab a mouth call or an electronic and just try to sound like somethin' dyin'.

good luck, and have fun

I had a Randy Anderson DVD that helped me learn the basics of calling. It's not like ducks or geese, it is pretty darn easy really.

If you spend more than 20$ each on a howler/rabbit call you are probably wasting money for starters. Same thing on a motion decoy, they can be had for less than $40.

If the dogs are that educated in UT, it will be a great benefit to shoot at night (I am assuming it is legal).

That darkness makes all the critters feel so safe!

When I say watch for the 'circle' I mean that they will come in to you from any direction but will try and circle you at some distance (depending how educated they are) to close from the downwind side to try and wind you, so watch for that.

I bought the pack below when starting and still use both the calls often. Haven't had many dogs to hunt where I am in south texas, but they got good use in NorCal.

Predator Master Pak
    Primos Predator Master Pak with DVD

Wish I was there to join you.

-D

Cool. I'll try out the basic calls and a decoy and go from there. I started looking and things were getting into the hundreds of dollars range and I figured I'd ask before I spent alot of cash on nothing.

Nice thing here is that the terrain has many mini-cliffs and rises that work well to put yourself against or around when hunting. The wind generally comes from 1 direction here at night, so that may play well for me too if I know the layout of where I am going to be.

What do you mean by them making that circle? As in they come from downwind and then walk past at great distance to see if they passed something?

I had a Randy Anderson DVD that helped me learn the basics of calling. It's not like ducks or geese, it is pretty darn easy really.

If you spend more than 20$ each on a howler/rabbit call you are probably wasting money for starters. Same thing on a motion decoy, they can be had for less than $40.

If the dogs are that educated in UT, it will be a great benefit to shoot at night (I am assuming it is legal).

That darkness makes all the critters feel so safe!

When I say watch for the 'circle' I mean that they will come in to you from any direction but will try and circle you at some distance (depending how educated they are) to close from the downwind side to try and wind you, so watch for that.

I bought the pack below when starting and still use both the calls often. Haven't had many dogs to hunt where I am in south texas, but they got good use in NorCal.

Predator Master Pak
    Primos Predator Master Pak with DVD

Wish I was there to join you.

-D

Southern Utah, feel free to stop by. Its legal to hunt at night as long as you do not use anything that shows a visible light (i.e. spotlighting). Sad thing is there's just as much land 2 miles in the other direction at the Arizona border, but they do not allow night hunting.

I looked at the calls you linked and had a question; with calls that I actually have to operate versus an electronic call, what is the difference other than price? Can manual calls sound better than something electronic? I would hate to sound like exactly what I am out there; a guy using a coyote call lol

I used to use a foxpro but have since switched to high quality open reed calls. There are call makers out there who make beautiful, great sounding calls. In my opinion, mouth blown calls sound better. Look up Kerry Carver in Ephraim Utah. He makes fantastic calls and is a great guy.

I have and use both electronic and mouth calls and both work just fine as stated above get out there and have fun.

Started out with a 40 dollar Johnny Stewart caller that worked fairly well, then went to a Primos Turbo Dog caller, very loud, sounds great with a lot of pre set sounds but mouth calls are much more simple and can switch from one call to another faster.

Another "trick' you might try is to find a sound not native to that particular area. For example... We don't have squirrels here where I hunt and have noticed that educated coyotes tend to be curious about sounds they haven't heard.
    The electronic call gives you the advantage of taking their attention from you. It allows a little more movement on your part. I have and use both. Electronic for locating and early season and mouth call for later in the year.
    IMO the wind will be the greatest factor in your success for call shy coyotes. Make them come to you from a shootable angle, because they will try and skirt your location to wind you.

I will give you a little advice if you want a video that will help you a lot. Get yourself a So You Want To Be A Predator Caller by Tony Tebbe. The guy kills a shit ton of coyotes and will shave years off your learning curve.

Get a FOXPRO. I hunt yotes every chance I get. I have mouth calls too and I still use em but E-Callers are really the way to go. A good one is reliable, takes the sound away from you and they are very versatile. Since you will be using it at night I would think that the E-caller is deff the way to go as you can leave it running and scan the area with you NV/Thermal.

The FOXPRO spit fire and a MOJO critter or a MOJO double trouble

and a mouth call or two.

I like the Haydells Gov Hunter or the lighter color Buck rabbit call
    and a primos howler, you might use it more for dog distress sounds. Read up on howling before jumping in to that dept. Rabbit cries is no biggie.

You can get better calls but those wont set you back much and are dependable (Some calls give you trouble with moisture) because you will probably use your e-caller the most.

When going that route I always carry extra batteries and 2-3 mouth calls. I steer away from the big heavy and noisy ones.

Good luck, keep us posted on success or lack there of.