• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing coyote calls

grmroper001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
Reno, NV.
Just wanted to get a feel for how many use electronics or mouth calls. I've only personnaly used mouth calls. The one time I went with a guy using electroni we got skunked. I was debating on going out after I hit the range this morning.

Re: coyote calls

I use both... I've have a homemade electronic call that works very well for the amount of $$$ I have in it. I use it in open areas that offer longer shots. Just all depends on the area you hunt. Around here I've found its more productive to just slip into a stand quietly and use a distress mouth call, especially in the thick places.

Foxpro electronic. I also use a decoy dog, I think it is a Flambeau. It gives them something to focus on that is not near me.

One thing about the electronic calls, use them all the time in the same place, they get wise real fast. The lone howl is good for determining the presence of the 'yotes, but rarely will they come to it after the first time.

DSG cottontail and woodpecker distress are both pretty effective.

Mouth calls only. Used an electronic call once and felt like all I proved was that Foxpro could call in a coyote.

They both have their place and are useful in different ways. I use an electric call a ton when I have "new" guys or my little girl with me, with that and a decoy it allows me a little more latitude with concealment, movement, and wind.

This argument is a personal judgment call and is strictly up to the individual and their style of hunting; some guys like them some don’t. That’s it… The argument over e-calls vs. hand calls is no better than deer hunters arguing gun hunting vs. bow hunting. To each his own, do what works for you and don’t worry about what everyone else does.

i use both the foxpro fx3 and a few mouth calls, ive noticed how on some yotes the mouth calls will get them in close and they react better but then on some days the foxpro gets them in when my mouth calls wont. wut i mainly do is i use a howling call to locate them then reel them in from there

Thanks guys. I guess they both have their place. I was trying to decide if I wanted to get a electronic call as well.