• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote hunters Help wanted.

kstraughen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2009
Florida, USA
First of all thanks for reading.

I live in Florida out in the county, in a sub division but with some property behind me. And to say the least we have a large Coyote problem. I took out family pet out and had a Coyote take run within 40 feet of me and kujo Mini Dauschund would have taken off after the yote. Stupid little thing. Yotes can be taken year round here in florida. But my question is when is a good time of day to shoot from the back porch.:) can they be baited in with food or is that not a good idea. My dad has a electronic call that he is bringing down. just trying to get some information. thanks

Re: Coyote hunters Help wanted.

The best time that I have found is early morning, right at daylight. And yes they can be baited, if is legal in your state.

I know they are extreamly smart. do you figure if one or 2 are taken the rest will leave?

No they will stay as long as there is food.You might scare them off for awhile but they will get brave again and be right back.

They probably won't leave but they do become educated which will force you to change tactics. We switch from rabbit distress to wood pecker distress and more recently goose decoys. Just don't miss. Dead coyotes cant be educated.

If two come in at the same time, shoot the one furthest back first. Two reasons for this. 1 it is probably the female and if u shoot the male first she isn't coming back. If you shoot the female first the male has a higher probability of coming back to check on the female if you use a wounded ky yi. 2 the first one has to run further for cover.

Best of luck.

Don't know how much pressure the Coyotes get down there, but being in that type of an area already, tells me it wouldn't be hard to bait them. At least not at first. And night time for me is prime time. Use a bow with an illuminated nock if you have to. Neighbors will never know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They probably won't leave but they do become educated which will force you to change tactics. We switch from rabbit distress to wood pecker distress and more recently goose decoys. Just don't miss. Dead coyotes cant be educated.

If two come in at the same time, shoot the one furthest back first. Two reasons for this.<span style="font-weight: bold"> 1 it is probably the female </span>and if u shoot the male first she isn't coming back. If you shoot the female first the male has a higher probability of coming back to check on the female if you use a wounded ky yi. 2 the first one has to run further for cover.

Best of luck. </div></div>

true statement there... ive shot a few doubles and the back generally tends to be a female.

use something like a vole or mouse call. foxpro has them and lay out on the porch. Coyotes are opportunistic. They can be hunted at almost anytime. If they think they have an easy meal they will most likely come in for it. Unless they are on to you. It helps to let the foxpro sit out at least 15-20 minutes before calling.

Another suggestion for a site with great info on the topic. I found it based on a recommendation on PredatorMasters.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

If the shooting is limited to one round, multiple, single (not paired) yotes can be called in and taken from the same location.