• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Coyote hunting advice

HonkeyMcGee88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
TX, USA
I have recently started hunting hogs at an area close to the house where my fiancee keeps her horse. There are always coyotes howling while were out and the girl who owns the place would love for me to take some out, as she also raises cattle and breeds horses. I have never hunting yotes and had a few questions. The area is about 400 acres and has several freshwater ponds, also hits the bay(saltwater), lots of pasture area.

1. Calls(I'd like to keep cost down) Recommendations. Hand call(how hard to use?), cheap electric(any good?), wire with a bobbing tail thing(do i really need it?)

2. What time of day would be best to go out if I wanted to be successful?

3. As I stated there are several ponds and a lot of open pasture with high grass. Where should I set up, at a water source looking over a pasture, against a tree line? Some of the ponds have hills that would give a larger view. Also at night 1 pasture tends to have rabbits all over it, would this be an easier area to get them to come to?

4. Do I really need to be in full camo, or will just settling down in some brush and staying still work fine?

5. How much or how long do I need to call without stopping?

I think that sums up all the questions I have, I know there are some pretty serious yote hunters here and I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Re: Coyote hunting advice

I know others will chime in with a better worded version but here it goes.

1 - Cass creek makes a reasonable call for inexpensive(I am a foxpro fan). most of the closed reed calls are pretty easy to use, and some mfg's give you a disc to listen to/watch. As far as decoy's go a couple turkey feathers tied by fishing line to a stick work great... anything to direct their attention elsewhere.

2 - early morning and late evening ... or night if your state allow is
wink.gif

3 - WIND dont waste the stand by miss using the wind.

4 camo - hiding in the grass is ok, but your hands and face are VERY noticable in the natural settings. so gloves and a face net.

5 - I call for 45-70 minutes when really wanting to call bobcats, but if I am going for coyotes 12-17 minutes is about it. My pattern is something like 2 calling 2 quiet 2 calling 2 quiet 1 calling 1 quiet 1 calling 1 quiet then pup in ditress
wink.gif

These may not be the best but seem to work for me. I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

I use ecallers and hand callers. I use foxpro e callers over any other brands. Decoys can be good but not nessesary. I have a fox pro jack in the box that I can control by my ecaller remote but usually carry a MOJO critter. I usually just use distress calls unless breeding times or denning times. If using an ecaller I harldy ever shut them off. Usually start on low-med volume incase dogs are already close. And if one shows up always assume there are 2 or more dogs. Practice ki-yi's (yote distress sound) if you shoot your rifle as it can get you a double at times. I usually hunt close if not in the thick stuff. I don;t expect to bring them out in the open much if any. Sometimes I set up so that if they hang up on the tree line I can still get em. If your hunting bobcats too then the decoy is great and an e caller is the best for it.So that focus is not on you. I recommend an e caller to start out with an way if you can swing it. Small, light fast, flat calibers are my fav. Let us know if ther is an other questions. I'm not an expert, just facinated by dog hunting. Good luck

Shooting a .308 right now but should have a .260 barrel in the next month which will be nicer. I like the Jack in the box, nice and compact and the price is not bad. I will try a hand call first probably. Robert, which hand calls do you prefer? I would assume I should get a rabbit distress and a pup distress.

One more question. How do coyote calls compare to duck calls, I have tried some "easy" duck calls and was terrible at it.

A bad caller is worse than no caller. Why do you not just set up and watch a good area?

best way I have ever seen is to use a chicken.. thats no bs.

Get a string and stake or tie the chicken in the middle of a field just before dusk. when the sun sets that chicken gonna freak out cuz it cant roost. Then just watch and be ready. I havent used this tactic but i went with a friend when he told me about it. Wow was it quik, within 15 mins of that chicken squawking he baged a 35 lb male.

I want to get into coyote hunting so bad, I just can't find a lease anywhere with a reasonable price tag. Maybe I should start bumming around coffee shops in small towns.

Santa is bringing me a Fox Pro for Christmas. I just need to get my Rem 700 in .223 dialed in before he shimmy's down my chimney...I can't wait to shoot some yotes/foxes

-Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to get into coyote hunting so bad, I just can't find a lease anywhere with a reasonable price tag. Maybe I should start bumming around coffee shops in small towns. </div></div>
Forget a lease start knocking on doors (just not in deer season) and say all you are looking for is access to call coyotes and nothing else. I made up a bussines card (vista print is darn cheap), and a 1 page "resume" about me and have over 60 places in 3 states to call 7 i am very busy dropping coyotes all year round.
Every rancher has apprciated my resume and have been told no one has ever done that.

Honkey,
As long as you sound like dying food they will come in.
E-call is not needed, but nice to have so you can get the sounds away from you. I use both hand calls & a foxpro caller. I will call w/my mouth calls to act like there is a fight or one coming into the distress sounds which will trigger other coyotes to want to get there first.
Full face/hand coverage as stated above.
Be as still as you can on a set.
Mover yer eyes before yer head.
Wind in your face or crosswind, do not call with the wind.
Be ready to shoot in a slit seconds notice.