• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote Hunting Tips

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
Been scouting some areas around here the last few months. My one prime place is gone now as it's getting filled in by a coal mine. However I've got another good area. I've seen them there quite a few times, cows roam it and there are plenty of rabbit running around. Going to do some final scouting tomorrow and hopefully get a hunt in the week after after. My GF is begging to go along so I told her I'd wait on her. Regardless, I've been practicing with some hand calls and understand to use the wind in my favor. Outside of that is there any real newb mistakes I can make? My big questions are
1- how long do you guys stay in one place calling and observing before you decide it's a no go
2- is weather a big factor in it? Such as are they more active in the cold, or in the rain or anything like that.
3- Is one call sound superior to others or are you guys just throwing at a mix at them?

This will be my first hunt ever. I don't expect a huge success but don't want to blow it just out of ignorance. I'm in southern WV so it's hilly/mountainous terrain but it'll be on reclaimed mine sites so it's not overly grown with trees. Basically just looking for any hand me down advice you guys would give a newbie.
Thanks guys
C

Re: Coyote Hunting Tips

1- I usually stay for about 30 min before moving on.
2- I don't know a for sure answer. I just go hunt and see what happens.
3- this is just trial and error. Some days they like different sounds and some day it doesnt matter.

one thing i do know is they seem to be more active after a big rain, also they don't like to be in the rain much, they are kinda like us when the weather is bad we just go inside. It's possible to call them out in the rain if they are hungry enough though. Also when your ready to leave stay on guard. I cant tell you how many times I packed up turned around for 1 last look and a coyote is just standing there staring at me.

Just get out and call no matter how bad you think you may be.

My very first coyote calling experience was something of a comedy of errors...

I set up in the snow, sitting on the tongue of a trailer right next to the house I was staying in (t'was in the mountains of Colorado.) I started calling with a hand call I'd bought for 10 dollars at Cabela's a week prior. My calling was so bad I had to stifle laughs when the reed would screw up and squeak like a beginner playing a clarinet. After about 5 minutes of that nonsense I was ready to call it quits, admit that mother nature could not be fooled, and sit by the nice warm fire. I took a long gander looking up the valley the house was in and saw nothing. I turned back to look along the house and 15 yards away stood 2 coyotes that had come around the corner of the house. "Well," I thought, "figures." The dogs look away, I raised my rifle, the dogs looked back, noticed something different and took off straight towards our barn that housed snow mobiles, tractor, etc which was 150 yards away. So I held my fire and the dogs won.

Moral of the story: Carry a shotgun for close in stuff.

Play the wind, limit movement, be patient, and be alert.

I will typically only stay on a stand 15 to 20 minutes.
I find coyotes are less active in strong winds and heavy rains. Basically if the weather is bad enough that you don't really want to be out in it neither do they.
Coyotes are pairing up to breed right now in most areas and seem to be responding well to coyote vocals.

Check out this new predator hunting e-magazine, http://www.dogmamag.com/ , it has some good info that you will find useful.

Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate any and all help I can get.
I spent about half the day scouting and calling around the area I'm planning on hunting. It was really really really foggy so for the most part my visibility was limited to 40ish yards. I had one howl back to me, one sound that I wasn't sure of and I got a glimpse of something white in the tree line. I wasn't trying to hide just standing by my jeep calling a little bit, just saw the flash and then it was gone. But I think I might have a little success up there with luck. This was in the same general area maybe a mile or so apart. I called around on either end of it and drove/walked most looking for good stands. Only thing left is to get some warmer clothing, it's stupid cold up there. Hoping to hunt it next week though. I'll keep ya'll updated and I welcome anything else anyone has to add.
C

use the wind (as others stated) if possible use shadows for concealment during movement and stands, keep sun at your back when possible.
always expect a coyote to pop out at any second. I've had them come in to the decoy before I ever started the call. Speaking of decoy, I highly suggest using 1 to cut down on the circling downwind thing they sometimes do if their not sure whats making the distress sound.
I use electronic call for several reasons. sound quality, sound variations, remote operation (not looking for me blowing a mouth call), and volume level adjustments.
Coyotes respond to different sounds at diff times of the year, they also tend to be more active at different times of the year.
it's truly an addiction, but the reward is an awesome adrenaline rush.

oh, just FYI, don't call 1 spot frequently. they adapt VERY well.

PM me and I can hook you up with additional info and websites with tons of info.