• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing coyote rifle

Jland

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2018
gillette wy
has any one used the 6br on coyotes planning a new build I think this will be a good all around caliber but my other chose is the 223ai just curious if any one has hands on info

I haven't shot any Coyotes with it but I would imagine a 6br with a 13 twist and some 65 gain V-Max would be a great combo.

Reactions: kimberyote
I haven't shot any Coyotes with it but I would imagine a 6br with a 13 twist and some 65 gain V-Max would be a great combo.

have you shot coyotes with heavier bullets wanting a long range coyote gun that can also be used in some competitions

IMO, which isn’t worth much, A 6BR that’s optimized for predator hunting will not be ideal for PRS style shooting. Ideally you’d use a slow twist barrel with a shorter throat for 70 class projectiles and push them really hard and flat. For a PRS rig you’ll want a higher BC projectile and a longer throat. If you’re going to shoot a handful of coyotes a year and go to matches every other weekend, build a PRS rig and take it coyote hunting with your match loads, or the other way around. I’m speaking from experience. I asked the same questions, but didn’t listen to anyone’s advice. I ended up with a coyote rig that’s too heavy to lug around and won’t shoot the high bc bullets, so I don’t use it at matches. That led me to build a rifle geared towards PRS, and now I need to build another coyote rifle because I don’t shoot matches often, but I night hunt regularly.

Reactions: kimberyote
6.5 Creedmoor match bullets drop them very efficiently with no pelt damage.

Attachments

• 31976BA1-BE3C-496F-A540-8F85FCB3C7BA.jpeg
    31976BA1-BE3C-496F-A540-8F85FCB3C7BA.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 107
with the 6br if I set it up to shoot 105s for prs and have another load for coyotes with the extra freebore will that mess with the lighter grain bullets

with the 6br if I set it up to shoot 105s for prs and have another load for coyotes with the extra freebore will that mess with the lighter grain bullets

It will be fine, just choose the right bullet.
I use a 243win with a 26" 1-8 twist and mainly 105amax and 105 Scenars but worked up a load for it with the Berger 88 Fbvld for shooting varmints and predators.

The thread started about 6BR and it changed. Looks like you have a PRs type rifle and want it to shoot coyotes. I build my rifles for matches and then hunt with them. Yes they are heavier but I know they shoot. If you have a 6BR and you know it, then don’t worry. When you pull the trigger you have confidence it will hit the target. That’s how I feel.

Reactions: The Durk
Last winter I had a 22” 6br put together for my son. I managed to steal it and used it for my coyote calling gun and absolutely loved it! It has a 7 twist barrel and for a match load we use the 110, and for coyotes we run the 87 v max running at 3020. I had been using my 223 running a 75 amax for several yrs and really liked it, but that br with the 87 just seemed to hammer the yotes just a lil harder. The 87 at that speed stayed in the totes for the most part and I sold all the hides I took last winter. I was worried about it at first because at the speeds that my 243 ran it could be explosive. Wasn’t so with the Br speeds. Now I also have a 22-250 with a 8 twist barrel that runs the 80’s and that thing is an animal to but might be a lil to much for prs type shooting.

As a fact right now I have a BRA barrel being spun up with a 20” barrel for my coyote gun this winter for my impact action. I can’t wait to get that thing in my hands!!

Google Ackelyman over on 6br.com or accurateshooter. He knows as much that there is to know about blasting coyotes. From what I remember of one of his posts, he suggests staying with lighter bullets with the 6br & coyotes.
I just finished building a PRS rig solely for blasting coyotes. Tikka rebarreld to a 28'' 1-13" 6-284 w/zero freeborn for 55-75 grainers in a Manners stock. Im going 4320 FPS. Ran it up to 4400, but backed off for accuracy node.
Speed kills with coyotes. Flat trajectory for aim & shoot kills out to just past 400 yards w/300 yard zero. I would like to have both. One with a 1-8 for the heavy artillery long shots, and the set up I just finished. Best wishes!

Reactions: TACC
I run a 223 Ackley with 75 amax. Works great on dogs to 300

I run a 243 Ackley with 105 amax in a 20” barrel at 3214 fps. Works better than 223 Ackley for any distance shots.9D8731D4-19F9-4E97-AA5C-3047292CCFE1.jpeg
105 amax this month

Depending on your location and what the value of fur is, I would stay away from the 6mm's in any caliber. Anytime you introduce a larger diameter with sufficient velocity your introducing a recipe for more fur damage. If this is for a PRS rifle, I don't know, cause I don't compete, but if you want to save an 80-120.00 pelt, select a proper cartridge around that.

If you're further south and you don't intend on keeping the hide for value or they don't have any value, sure thing the 6mm will flat out hammer.

Depending on your location and what the value of fur is, I would stay away from the 6mm's in any caliber. Anytime you introduce a larger diameter with sufficient velocity your introducing a recipe for more fur damage. If this is for a PRS rifle, I don't know, cause I don't compete, but if you want to save an 80-120.00 pelt, select a proper cartridge around that.

If you're further south and you don't intend on keeping the hide for value or they don't have any value, sure thing the 6mm will flat out hammer.

where are you getting those prices for dogs?
Might have to drive across the border and sell my dogs up there .

Reactions: TACC and The Durk

Skinney is spot on. And this is coming from a 6mm junkie. I have shoot a ton of coyotes with a 243 and 6mm dti. You may get some where there is minimal damage, but it's a crapshoot. If anyone says 6mm's or 6.5's are fur friendly, then they haven't shot very many coyotes.

where are you getting those prices for dogs?
Might have to drive across the border and sell my dogs up there .

Anywhere from Central Nebraska to the Canadian border. I averaged 85 last year on the last 120 we sold. I know guys further north who were doing at least 20.00 better. FYI be careful crossing borders with Fur, just a friendly heads up.

Reactions: TACC and RTH1800
Anywhere from Central Nebraska to the Canadian border. I averaged 85 last year on the last 120 we sold. I know guys further north who were doing at least 20.00 better. FYI be careful crossing borders with Fur, just a friendly heads up.

thanks. I think best average here for 250 dogs was $70 per dog. Looks like I need to find a better hide buyer.
Thanks for the heads up.

Long range bullets are not the best for most coyote shooting. Coyotes often run off 25-100 yards when hit with a match bullet.
Light, fast and flat shooting bullets do the job better. 20 cal and 22 cal.

Reactions: skinney_7 and TACC
thanks. I think best average here for 250 dogs was $70 per dog. Looks like I need to find a better hide buyer.
Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone that is marketing 250 furs at a time should be getting top dollar for their average. Maybe 70 is your top dollar.

Reactions: RTH1800
I run a 223 Ackley with 75 amax. Works great on dogs to 300

I run a 243 Ackley with 105 amax in a 20” barrel at 3214 fps. Works better than 223 Ackley for any distance shots.View attachment 7173778
105 amax this month

That is good speed out of your 20” barrel! I’m getting that same speed with my 26” 243 AI but maybe I have a game load.

I’m about to put together an 18” 243 AI and hope I can push the 87gr Vmaxs fast enough to shoot pretty flat

Reactions: Dogsniper
I usually run the 223 Ackley early in the season while fur is good but I pull out the 243 when all the dogs are call shy and I can kill them when they sit out at distance and bark thinking they are safe?
I don’t think
You will be disappointed but the 87 vmax has not been fur friendly on anthing I have shot with them but they kill good!!

My 223ai with 75 amaxs is my favorite coyote killer I own. It is also super cheap to shoot..... I build a 22 creed for this year and going to see how it does..... dog are a hard spectrum of drt vs no pelt damage. There are cases that are going to be drt all them time.... but dont expect to save pelts..... that is when life gets hard on case choice when you want to save pelts. I run a 17 hornet for 150yards and in my 223 ai for 200 to 400 and I am hoping the 22 creed becomes my 300 to 1000 rifle.

I also have a 6br that I bought for shooting dogs this year, ended up getting the creedmoor shortly after so the 6br is going down the road.... my plan was 55bt at like 3400....

I usually run the 223 Ackley early in the season while fur is good but I pull out the 243 when all the dogs are call shy and I can kill them when they sit out at distance and bark thinking they are safe?
I don’t think
You will be disappointed but the 87 vmax has not been fur friendly on anthing I have shot with them but they kill good!!

I guess I could go lighter/faster as well and maybe flatter and better on fur. Like 75 gr Vmax or 70grain Nosler. Not great bullets balistically speaking but if they’re pretty flat out to 400 that’s all I’m really after

Shooting some long range matches makes me think I should shoot 105grs all the time but I’ve gotta remind myself that the light speedy bullets are a lot better for varminting.

I guess I could go lighter/faster as well and maybe flatter and better on fur. Like 75 gr Vmax or 70grain Nosler. Not great bullets balistically speaking but if they’re pretty flat out to 400 that’s all I’m really after

Shooting some long range matches makes me think I should shoot 105grs all the time but I’ve gotta remind myself that the light speedy bullets are a lot better for varminting.

I shoot a 70 gr nosler out of my 243, and they are definitely not fur friendly. But they kill really well. The most fur friendly bullet that I have found is the 69 gr berger. But it doesn't always put them down as fast.

I shoot a 70 gr nosler out of my 243, and they are definitely not fur friendly. But they kill really well. The most fur friendly bullet that I have found is the 69 gr berger. But it doesn't always put them down as fast.

I shoot them out of my 243 win as well... those little purple devils are deadly

My 223ai with 75 amaxs is my favorite coyote killer I own. It is also super cheap to shoot..... I build a 22 creed for this year and going to see how it does..... dog are a hard spectrum of drt vs no pelt damage. There are cases that are going to be drt all them time.... but dont expect to save pelts..... that is when life gets hard on case choice when you want to save pelts. I run a 17 hornet for 150yards and in my 223 ai for 200 to 400 and I am hoping the 22 creed becomes my 300 to 1000 rifle.

I also have a 6br that I bought for shooting dogs this year, ended up getting the creedmoor shortly after so the 6br is going down the road.... my plan was 55bt at like 3400....

that's what I want a 300 to 1000 yard coyote killer were I'm at in wy all the dogs around here are pretty well educated i want something that reach out to them with out destroying them

I like the 65 Sierra game king.

I built a 6-284 for nothing but shooting coyotes. I was dreaming of massive explosions. Well to be honest it's not the case for me. Actually it a quite effective fur gun so far I've killed 25-30 coyotes since October with only destroying 3 pelts 2 head shots and unzipped one. No exits and delivers all it's energy inside the animals. The internal damage is incredible. I'm running a 9 twist kreiger with 75 vmax around 3950-4000. My rig is a pig at close to 18# but 0-350 is hold fur. I'm no big time killer like some that have posted but I kill around 100-130 here in Ohio and that's no easy feat.

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_101336.jpg
    IMG_20191102_101336.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
Reactions: Dogsniper
When I wanted to shoot matches and kill coyotes with the same gun I did a ton of reading. Xdeano posted on accurate shooter that 105 hvld does a good job of not making a huge hole. Still needs sewn, but quarter sized instead of volleyball sized. I hunt in Iowa and no one pays shit for coyotes around here. I don't kill enough to worry about the money anymore either. Not enough time with kids and work. I chose to shoot 105 AMAX at just shy of 3200 fps. It's about 50/50. Sometimes no exit or small exit. The other half of the time the exit is the size of a volleyball. They are drt though. When I was more serious about saving hides I ran a 22/250 with 55 by at 3700. No big holes and most drt inside 325 yds. My night gun is a 22/250 running 53 vmax at 3900 and the story is the same. If you want to save fur you are better off with a smaller faster bullet. I have used everything from a 40 vmax in 204 to a 105 in 243ai. The best 6mm bullets I used for fur were the 75 Hornady hp or the Speer 80gr hot-cor. Neither are sexy or have high bc's. The reality is it is going to take a serious gun for each purpose to create a no compromises situation.