• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

coyote rifler ideas needed

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
what do you fellas use for a coyote rifle? I am going to build one here pretty quick buy im not real sure what route to go. I have an older rem 700 222 sporter but i am really wanting a 22-250AI for whatever reason. Do you fellas think a Mcmillan A5 is a bit to big of a stock for a hunting rifle? Maybe i need to sell my 222 and go with a predator action. I have a shilen chrome moly 22cal 8 twist blank i thought i might use. What do you fellas use? Lee

Re: coyote rifler ideas needed

I think an ideal coyote getter would be something like a 22" 22-250 (1-8") or better yet a 243 of the same length and 1-7.5" twist. Varmint contour with flutes. Throw it in an A1-3 with EDGE and the bottom metal of your choice, I bet you'd be about 11# all scoped up.

Hi Lee.
My opinion...lighter is better for packing a rifle while chasing yotes. I carry 25-30 lbs. of gear when hunting song dogs and heavy rifle really gets old fast.
My current "go-to" yote buster is a Tikka T3 Lite in .223. I shoot 50gr Vmax's and it does a good job on coyotes out to 250 yards.

Take care,Stan

My Tikka .223

I hunt a lot at night and don't want the suckers to get hit and run so I use a .243 with a varmint (Sendero) contour barrel cut at 22". It's in a Remington Police stock.

NF2.jpg

COYT9.jpg

HateCA, Your rig is pretty close to what i have visualized. I kinda thought about using the older HS non palm swell varmint stock though.
I sure wish those tikkas had a better plastic stock. I like them, and the clip is a wonderful advantage! Lee

skeetlee, I will agree with "BgBmBoo" on this one. The Tikka is a fantastic light rifle with excellent accuracy results. The .223 tends to do exactly what is needed on this critter. Gear desired adds up quickly, most shots here on the East Coast are well within 500yds and a good bullet such as the VMAX is always a plus. I normally run my AR (night capable, suppressed) or M700 sub-sonic 170gr weapons which are both very capable. Most time you get a shot or two off, then its move and reset, so the heavy barrel, stock and all are nothing but weight to me in this application. The .222 will do just fine with the right bullets. Not much a .22-250 fan or the improved cartridges due to time and brass issues.

I carried around rocks for too many years hunting them critters. I bought a rem model 7 predator .243 this past year and love it. We do too much walking when we're out varmint hunting and the model 7 carries really well. It's no custom rig but it still performs well.

In my area we do a lot of tight country hunting and truth be known, probably shoot just as many critters with the old 10 ga.

I opted for a AICS folder with a Stiller action, in .223.Not the lightest rig, but I like many features of the stock, and the Stiller TAC 30 was "lefty" friendly.
smile.gif

007.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HateCA, Your rig is pretty close to what i have visualized. I kinda thought about using the older HS non palm swell varmint stock though.
I sure wish those tikkas had a better plastic stock. I like them, and the clip is a wonderful advantage! Lee </div></div>

If you like the non palm swell the varmint stock is a good choice. The .243 I run uses a HS mag system and has not given me any issues, but I don't run any high cap mags either. Funny thing is the mag system is kind of a waste since I can't remember when a follow up shot was needed and if I built it again it would have been left a BDL.

Savage... Remington.. tika.. Take your pick.

I'm personally a Remington guy but I don't hunt the yotes. But
you would do fine with any of these rifles.

I use a Savage 22-250 with a lite contor barrel some and a Remington 788 in 223 with a med contor barrel(This was my first reel varment rifle that i bought in the early 80s) but inmho the perfect coyote rifle and my goto rifle is a 18" service rifle contor kreiger Barreled AR 15 in 223.

Steve

Lee, I think it will all depend on where you are going hunting, and take those factors into consideration. If you have to hump your gear several miles before you set up, lighter is always going to be better, but if you can park close by, then its a whole different ballgame. Shooting distances have to be factored in as well, is a lighter shorter barrel rifle going to get you out to 500 as well as something a little longer or heavier. Lots of variables, but thanksfully theres lots of choices out there.

Lee... I just bought a savage precision carbine for coyote hunting in 223 and love it. It has a 20 inch barrel and is not that heavy. I think without scope it is 7 pounds. Took it to the range and sighted it in and it is a tack driver. The only thing i might change out is getting a trigger from sss. I was shooting 55gr. v maxes and half inch groups and smaller were quite often. I was shooting 3 shot groups. It only comes in the 223 or 308 in that model. It has a detachable mag that holds 5 rounds and it comes out and goes in real easy. The rifle fed perfectly. The predator comes in some other calibers and the barrel is fluted and 22 inches. If i was to get the predator i would opt for the h1 because it has the uccu stock. I used to lug around heavy single shot boat anchors in the field, but no more of that. First savage i have owne and i love it.....good luck chosing your rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think an ideal coyote getter would be something like a 22" 22-250 (1-8") or better yet a 243 of the same length and 1-7.5" twist. Varmint contour with flutes. Throw it in an A1-3 with EDGE and the bottom metal of your choice, I bet you'd be about 11# all scoped up. </div></div>

I've got a 223WSSM that is great. Of course I reload. I think maybe browning is the only maker of this caliber anymore. You can pick up used ones.

Lee,
Decide what you like in a rifle and what is comfortable. Do you plan to sit on most stands or lay down prone, will you use a bi-pod, sticks or no front support? Do you hunt in heavy cover or do you call in open area, what is the expected furthest shot you will need/be able to make? Answer these questions and it will help you decide the weight issue and to some extent the stock configuration.
Personally I like a heavier rifle and don't mind packing it with me.
The one strong recommendation I would make is built a 6mm of some sort or bigger! You want a marginal hit to take parts off and to anchor the dog where it was hit. Watching a dog run off when it has been hit a bit too far back is not fun.
Good luck and enjoy the new build

I have a couple of guns I use for coyotes. One thing they have in common is that they are light. Carrying calls and other items makes me glad I have a light rifle to pack. I have a 223 and a 243 and think that the Tikka lites are great guns for hunting coyotes. You may also look at a Sako A7.

we live in flat open country, and we use our trucks most morning. We stalk and shoot or we snipe, or we jump out and shoot. No one certain situation. I love to stalk and shoot the most but its the hardest to do. these coyote like to sit out in the middle of the sections and sun themselfs. Im talking 500-1000 yards out at times. Making shots like that are really hard in these winter winds, and not knowing the distance. The other end of that is when we tire one out and we catch them crossing the road going into the next section. 50 to 100 yard shots are the results. I need a clip feed, all around caliber rifle. I do think your right about 6mm something. I just dont have anything in 22cal and those 80gr hornady a-max fly pretty good out to 4-500 yards. I dont know what ill do. I should just buy an AR, but i dont really like them much. I keep telling myself i need one in case i would ever need one, but like i said, i really dont care for them much. Bolt guns have a certain appeal to me, that i cant explain. lee

I live in flat lands too. I don't have to pack mine very far so here's what I just got through putting together.

Savage 10
22-250 Ackley Improved
Douglas 1/8 twist bbl at 26"
B&C Var/Tac A2
CDI DBM
SSS Bolt Handle
Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44
EGW 20moa base
Burris Xtreme Rings
Harris Bipod

010.jpg

IF you chose your stock choice and fill correctly along with things like barrel length and fleuts and such, I think you could make a true custom that could do what you want.

Personally I would go 243, can still push a 55 grn bullet to 4000 fps but you can load heavier bullets for better wind bucking and more energy on target.

+1 on 22-250 ackley with fast twist barrel. 75gr amax's hit like a hammer. I run a 224 tth (22-6mm) that I have dialed down to 3350 f/s for accuracy reasons. Very flat shooting. You should have no problems getting a 22-250 ackley up to that velocity.

DSCF3836.jpg

25-06 AI with a 75, 87, or 90gr bullet is great coyote medcine. jump to a 117 or 120gr bullet and you have a excellent deer round

I am pushing a 87gr bullet just over 3800fps

You don't say what your budget is.
For an off the shelf rifle, the savage prdator hunter max in .243 would be very hard to beat. Reasonable weight, pinpoint accuracy, flat shooting.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1

If I were to build one, it would probably be a short action Rem, a B&C light tactical stock, 20" fluted barel in 6.5 creedmore and shoot the 123 grain scenars.

If i wanted an AR15, it would probably be a 6.5 grendel with a 20" barrel.

You know i really wish i wanted a savage. There are some real advantages in having one. I just dont like the way they feel or look. They just seem weird! I dont know. I know they shoot good and they work well, and the hole barrel thing is huge, i just cant bring myself to buy one. I also wish someone made an affordable bottom metal detachable magazine for a rem 700. They do for the long action so why not for the short action? it pisses me off a little to be real honest about it. I dont really know if i have a budget or not for this idea of mine. If i stay with the rem 700 action, im not even sure i am going to have it trued up. I probably will but not certain. I have read numerous post were guys just throw a barrel on them and go, and they shoot solid .5" groups. I even have a friend here who has done this a few times. On the other hand for 150 bucks i have it trued up in the jig, while its not single point truing, it probably isn't to awful bad, but i dont really know. Keep the ideas coming. thanks fellas! lee

I'm with Randy on the caliber - Mine's a t-3 lite in .243. Out side of a little camo work and crown nothing else was done to her and it shoots really well, probably 3/4 MOA or a little better. Shooting 70 grain bullets and it's a hammer on varmints.

That said, I finished a 22-250AI this last spring for a customer and even fire forming brass it shoots really well - customer said he shot a really nice buck at a little over 300 yards with a 75 A-max and drilled through both shoulders. Pretty neat caliber if you have the time to play with forming brass.

IMG_3710.jpg

Good Luck,
JamieD
Wolf Precision

Just got one back from a writer for Varmint Hunter Magazine. I was asked to build what I considered to be the ideal predator hunting rifle. What I sent him was:

Stiller Tac 30
Bartlein #4 8 twist cut to 25"
Manners SL stock
Seekins rings
Leupold VX-III 4.5-14
Standard BDL type bottom metal
Full camo in cerakote
Chambered in 22-250

I'd have to put it on the scale but I think the finished weight was 9.5#

DSC01045.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got one back from a writer for Varmint Hunter Magazine. I was asked to build what I considered to be the ideal predator hunting rifle. What I sent him was:

Stiller Tac 30
Bartlein #4 8 twist cut to 25"
Manners SL stock
Seekins rings
Leupold VX-III 4.5-14
Standard BDL type bottom metal
Full camo in cerakote

Chambered in 22-250

I'd have to put it on the scale but I think the finished weight was 9.5# </div></div>

I would love to see a pic!

if u r sticking with the bolt guns why not the model 7--the
Rem custom shop will fix u up or a carbon wrapped barrel if u want to spend the dough --my ideal bolt gun for predator hunting
is a mdl 7 in .260 w/kevlar stock and fluted 22" bbl with
a ceramic camo job--but that was beffore the AR's

Lee, I'm sure whatever you pick out will be for sale soon anyway
grin.gif

Sorry couldn't help it. Rifle A.D.D. is a serious condition!

For shooting to 500 yards I used to prefer the 22-250. I now shoot a 20 Tac to the same ranges and it out preforms the 22-250 in every regard. Much quiter and drifts less, flatter etc. If shooting beyond 500 I would go with a 6.5x284 or 264 Win mag. If going with the 20 Tac, will work in bolt or AR. The 20 Tac is a dead center hold to 350. No thinking, just point and shoot. That is a huge advantage. Even a long range shooter will kill more at less than 300 than over IMO. Many will never kill one beyond 300. This is where the 20 tac shines. I do not have one in an AR so use the .223 which is fine to 300. I think the heaviest rifle you can carry will shoot the best. It is a trade off. Mine run from 9-13 lbs. I would not use one less than 8 or 9, given the choice.

When I lived in Colorado a 16" barreled AR-15 with a Trijicon TA-01 was my coyote rifle. This past year, I had a Remington 700 chambered in 243 built on a McMillan A1-3 stock with a 24", 1:7 twist Rock barrel that I have been itching to shoot a coyote with.

Thinking about it, the AR/ACOG is probably a better choice for Virginia farmlands and the 243/Nightforce F1 for the openness of Eastern Colorado but I still want to "smoke a 'yote" with the 243 so that is what I'll take next.

Edit to add: Anyone in Virginia having problems with coyotes?

I'm wanting to build a 6mm AI on a remmy action with sendero profile barrel, and hs stock.

i think your on the right line of thought I use my AR for hunting yotes I used to use a Savage in .243 great rig but my AR gets it done just as well and cheaper while giving me more time behind its trigger. As someone else mentioned all my hunting rigs are light I do allot of moving around and packing a bunch of gear sucks for that. I know a few guys here that use a the .17 with good results it just takes a seasoned hunter to know what shots he can take and what he cannot. Also in my area of the desert you wont find yourself shooting much more than 100yrds because of the brush. Good luck with your search.

mod 70 stelth , 52grn smk @2750fps shoots great for the $ i dont have in it.

I just use a suppressed 16" AR15 with 20rd mag.

Light, handy, quiet. Very capable out to the longest shots you'll get around here, 250-300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wanting to build a 6mm AI on a remmy action with sendero profile barrel, and hs stock. </div></div>

Hey Nortex-

I have formed brass, dies, new brass, a comp seating die, and a finishing reamer for the 6mm AI. Let me know if you're interested. I was going to build it on my long action 700 but have since found a need to burn up barrels with the 6.5-06 instead.

Any coyote which won't fall to a .22-250 is too far away.