• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyotes - It was bound to happen...

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
A few months back there was a long thread about coyotes and the potential threat they posed. I suggested that while 'yotes are predominately unseen and unheard, they are opportunistic predators and not to mistaken for cute, soft, furry little puppy dogs, and sooner or later, increasing coyote/human overlap would lead to coyotes moving beyond small domesticated animals and into small humans:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5he7EQRNc5oIMPcyVgFhA-jVl3cUAD9GLP9OO0

http://gothamist.com/2010/06/27/coyotes_attack_girl_playing_in_west.php

Re: Coyotes - It was bound to happen...

I've seen videos of townsfolk getting chased by turkeys and now coyotes are attacking in the suburbs? It's time to mobilize and head north to save the yankees. Seriously, when the nutria got out of hand in Jefferson Parish, the sheriff had the SWAT guys out at night taking them with suppressed 22's, so that the bunny huggers wouldn't be outraged. It's time they started thinning those coyotes, by any means.

2irndjp.jpg

I am now happy to be 6'1" and 260 lbs!

look into those eyes and tell me if you see cute and cuddly...I took this photo a couple months back with a telephoto lens. Why can't I get them to stand like that when I have a rifle in my hands?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2irndjp.jpg

look into those eyes and tell me if you see cute and cuddly...I took this photo a couple months back with a telephoto lens. Why can't I get them to stand like that when I have a rifle in my hands? </div></div>

Man that is a huge Coyote! Looks kinda like a Wolf maybe?

^^ the coyotes can get alot bigger back east, just like bears. i thought people would wake up after jessica simpsons dog got snatched. i know here in the springs there have been all sorts of problems from coyotes in city. in one day on ft carson in post housing i saw 3 coyotes 2 in housing and one in the commissary parking lot. but you cant do anything with them.

ya, that dog looks big, long legged sucker... I bet he looks like a wolf when he's all primed out ready to be skinned and stretched.

There have been 'coyotes' taken in western Virginia that weighed 75 lbs. My mother, the family keeper of lost lore, thinks they are what used to be called 'coy-dogs'; crossbred coyotes and feral dogs.

Up until last year, I was an avid groundhog hunter. Beginning last year, the groundhogs started disappearing, along with rabbits, foxes, grouse, and yearling deer. Last month the owner of one of my favorite groundhog fields found a month-old calf dead and eviscerated - the first time it's happened in over 25 years (unless you count that alien dissection thing
grin.gif
). Then having a pack take down a deer right behind my house this winter.

Yeah, looking at the 'yote in that pic, I'm thinking where to put the crosshairs.

Good heavens, that is one big yote, almost like he could be mixed with something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2irndjp.jpg

look into those eyes and tell me if you see cute and cuddly...I took this photo a couple months back with a telephoto lens. Why can't I get them to stand like that when I have a rifle in my hands? </div></div>

sure don't look like our coyotes...

looks like a wolf to me.

have to say not only is the coy/ wolf BIG but the body and head shape dont look like any coyote ive ever seen . looks like he knows he is the boss

Just had one here outside NYC (Westchester Co.) that attacked a toddler the other day...

LINKAGE

Westchester County, generally speaking, is a big dollar area (read: home of predominantly granola eating, bunny huggin', liberal, gun fearin' ingnoramuses) with very restrictive hunting regulations and little/no state lands to kill 'chit on. Go figure?

While I have 2 fences separating my houe from actual forested woods (150 yards away) I thought I heard one the other night.

I've got subsonic 22's, it's a 15' wide 150 yard long piece of property and perfect for the situation, if they found a hole through the fence...

This one turned out to be Joe...(The Racoon that dances for me)

Coydogs are more dangerous than coyotes due to the less skittish nature dogs have compared with coyotes. ACQ, it looks like you've got at least one coydog running around your place. That's not too far at all from where I am, but I have a guy a couple of properties down that has quite a bit of fun with those yotes with his .204 Ruger. It keeps them out of my area too, so that's fine with me. We just discovered a cute little den of foxes in a sinkhole here, I'm having a good time watching them play in the mowed hayfield in the evenings.

Maybe. I have taken 33 of these things over the years, and this one appears kinda normal to me.
I to have been watching the fox play in the hay fields...
Do you ever go to Mikes guns and archery in Frankfort?

here in Pa. they've found (through DNA testing) that our most of our coyotes are a hybrid of coyote and wolf, which is another reason why they are somewhat large here.

i know over the last 4-5 years i've seen and heard more, seen more sign, not only in "the woods" but in the suburbs as well.

more and more they are losing that fear of man particularly arouond town and are seen more often during the day and acting braver than once before.

it's not uncommon to see or get a 40+ lb "coyote" in these parts. the last few contests had many in the 45 to 54 lb range.

here in northwest colorado we have been seeing wolves for the past 5 years, the DOW wont admit they are here.
The strange thing I've been seeing is that the coyotes are showing signs of wolf traits (packs ect.) hunting together not as pairs but 5 to 6 adult males 3yrs and older.

AQC440 thats a nice looking animal

I wouldnt mind having it as a pet
laugh.gif

We dont get yotes/wolves out here in Australia, only mangy foxes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tac300WM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here in northwest colorado we have been seeing wolves for the past 5 years, the DOW wont admit they are here.
</div></div>

i took our "experts" here to finally admit it about 20 years ago, although people have been reporting sightings since the 50's. not to hijack the thread, but i wonder when they're going to open the bag up on the mountain lion contoversy here. by the way we now have feral pigs too, which up to about 7 years ago they were laughed off as misidentifing small bears.