• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Skg_Mre_Lght

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 14, 2010
    WY, USA
    I need some tricks for wary coyotes.

I've been given access to a private ranch, and haven't had success calling the last few times I have gone. I usually sit for at least 30 minutes per stand, wary of wind direction, and all the normal stuff. I learned today that the Government trapper has been flying the neighbors properties, so I'm thinking they are skittish. There have been fresh coyote tracks in the snow in one particular pasture every morning, but they aren't coming in. Do I need to be howling before daylight to get them interested? Any other tricks that may work?

Howling does help make them feel more comfortable but it seems most are call shy anymore from all the electronic calls people use nowadays. If they are there night hunting would be the best bet. I've been using a wicked hunting light the last 2 years and hunting off dead cows but it also works calling and just scanning for eyes but they get wise to that fairly quickly also. I just got a thermal this week and can't wait to try it out.
    Also this is a weird year with the open winter. The coyotes are more spread out and not as hungry I think. It's been hard hunting here as well.

Good luck!

Howling does help make them feel more comfortable but it seems most are call shy anymore from all the electronic calls people use nowadays. If they are there night hunting would be the best bet. I've been using a wicked hunting light the last 2 years and hunting off dead cows but it also works calling and just scanning for eyes but they get wise to that fairly quickly also. I just got a thermal this week and can't wait to try it out.
    Also this is a weird year with the open winter. The coyotes are more spread out and not as hungry I think. It's been hard hunting here as well.

Good luck!

Yeah. The drought and Indian Summer has screwed all hunting up. It was a weird big game season as well. I guess I will use some mouth calls, and try and electronic for other noises in the morning.

Reactions: WoobieJ
    Double Tap.

Anyone ever have luck with decoys, stuffed animals, or something like Turkey feathers on a string?

Last edited:
    What sort of sounds are you using while on stand? Usually by this time of year, the prey in distress sounds aren't much good and switching over to 100% coyote vocalizations works better. If there's a government trapper working the area, especially by aircraft, you've got some pretty stiff competition. Any coyotes left will be really cautious and quite educated. I'd even suggest you forget about calling them and hunt purely by spot & stalk, if the ranches pastures are fairly wide open. Get a good pair of binoculars, tie up your boots, and start walking after them. Use the terrain, wind, and shadows to your advantage and be ready to shoot long when you find them. You might also bounce them up close and have to shoot fast. Getting out early in the dark before the sun comes up is a good time to turn on the caller with a chorus of howling/yips to locate them. That'll narrow down where you need to walk to and save time/effort.

Reactions: Skg_Mre_Lght
    I follow these guys and they are really good at Yote hunting. In fact he used to post on here as @Skinny7 or something like that.

ONEILLOPS

What sort of sounds are you using while on stand? Usually by this time of year, the prey in distress sounds aren't much good and switching over to 100% coyote vocalizations works better. If there's a government trapper working the area, especially by aircraft, you've got some pretty stiff competition. Any coyotes left will be really cautious and quite educated. I'd even suggest you forget about calling them and hunt purely by spot & stalk, if the ranches pastures are fairly wide open. Get a good pair of binoculars, tie up your boots, and start walking after them. Use the terrain, wind, and shadows to your advantage and be ready to shoot long when you find them. You might also bounce them up close and have to shoot fast. Getting out early in the dark before the sun comes up is a good time to turn on the caller with a chorus of howling/yips to locate them. That'll narrow down where you need to walk to and save time/effort.

Good advice. I'm headed out now, and will let you know how it all turns out.

If legal in your area, nighttime thermal hunting over a dead cow/pig/deer carcass is several times more productive any calling I've tried.

The last time I knocked a coyote off of a calf (daytime) I killed a hog that evening and then periodically checked it the following night...killed five coyotes in less than an hours work that night.

I understand that a $4-8K investment is a bit steep to shoot a few dogs, but you can lease thermals for a few hundred dollars from a couple places.

You can't hunt predators at night in WY unless it's on private land with the landowners permission. Getting access is becoming harder and b harder because outfitters and landowners have figured out Easterners will pay money to shoot Prairie dogs and coyotes, so the thermal juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Anyway, the Government trapper didn't get them all. Good way to ring in the New Year.

20210101_074744.jpg

20210101_075830.jpg

What ive found is that it only takes about 3 weeks after the airplane has flown an area for the coyotes to filter back into the area. It's known biologically as source to sink. Basically you create a sink or a void in an area and the source, outside the sink will supply. They filter in quick.

So depending on how often your trapper is actually flying or actively trapping the area, you'll find some action. No one can get them all, if they tell you that, theyre full of shit.

Xdeano

Reactions: Skg_Mre_Lght
    Any east coast guys having success? I’ve had some answer at night but haven’t actually got a shot at one since October.

Reactions: crackerbrown