• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CQB Match advice

GySgt New River

GYSGT/USMC
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Biloxi, MS
A range near me is hosting a pistol/rifle CQB match this weekend. My question is what option should I go with?

#1 Run my AR sbr (5" barrel) in 9mm with 115gr rounds plus silencer or without?

or...

#2 Saiga 7.62x39 sbr (8" barrel) with Wolf black box?

Pistol I will be using is a Glock 19.

Thanks for the advice,
MCASSgt New River

Re: CQB Match advice

How reliable is the 9mm combo? That would be the deciding factor to me. If the 9mm would run without malfunctions then that is what I would run, malfunctions are gonna kill your time in something like that.

If the 762 short runs flawlessly, then thats what I would shoot.

the 9mm combo is somewhat suspect and malfunctions from time to time. My AK has not malfunctioned on my as of yet. So I'll add just one more option...

Would you run a full 16" barrel AK or the SBR? I'm thinking the SBR is a better choice as it is a CQB Match and the shorter OAL would be easier to swing on target or get around corners.

From someone who has run alot of subgun matches. Shot timers don't pick up suppressed weapons, so when they time you they have to do the ole fashion shot watch.

If you distance to target is sub 25 yards, run the AK

What about a 10.5" AR15 sbr in 5.56? I also have upper receiver with a Eotech, co-witnessed with irons. I'm certain 5.56 cal would have less recoil plus allow quicker follow-up shots if needed...not to mention I have been in the USMC for the past 10 years and used a damn near exact copy...remedial action and clearing jams or malfunctions will be 2nd nature if it happen.

BUT!!!...I have put about 5-6k rounds through my AK's without a problem I can't speak so highly of the AR family.

I think I'm damn near certain that the AK will prevail. Thanks for talking me through this...I have never been in a competition other then the KD Course annually.

Semper Fi,
MCASSgt New River

I took the "fun" advice and ran the Red Jacket ZK-MR sbr! :super: Ahhhh, the looks she got...there were a few MARSOC Operators there and they were VERY interested as well.

I saw a few tricked out AR's and learned a few things...over all a VERY GOOD TIME.