• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crazy Day

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
We have a couple of older vehicles that are basically taking up parking space and costing us insurance. So, I put this Dodge up for sale today on the local facebook market page. We purchased it new in 2003, sold it to our son in 2008, he gave it back to us when he purchased a new truck a couple years ago.

The truck looks nice but is high milage and is very close to being a project (bad 3rd member among other less major issues.…If you don’t know what a 3rd member is…..Look It UP!) Priced it accordingly by the book, bottom end of fair condition needs mechanical repair. ($2000.00). Tried to explain the issues in the ad. (Lost tract of how many times I had to explain what a 3rd member is).

I have lost count of the number of inquires. At least 15. I went up to the shop to load some 6GT, not a lot (70) when I came back, there were 9 more inquiries.

I am wondering, are people that desperate or is a 2003 Plain Jane Dodge half ton some kind of hidden gold mine or, new age cult vehicle?
2B0B2CB9-179A-411D-871F-19F943CC9519.jpeg

Reactions: Earnhardt
Close the ad for a couple of days…then jack the price up a bit…see what happens.

Reactions: KYAggie
What is a 3rd member?

Is this still for sale?

If I send you a cashiers check for $500 more, can you just give me cash back when I come pick up the truck?

A week or two ago, the stepson's friend sold a Mustang for $9k in Rapid City via FB Marketplace. First dumb mistake (she's a blond). Second was accepting a check, which of course bounced. She at least withheld the title until the check would clear, that of course should have been the clue/alarm bells to not accept a fucking check, but, well, blonds are going to do blond things. Cops notified, APBs sent out throughout the whole region.

The guy fled the area, ended up in a high speed chase somewhere in Oregon. They spike stripped him, bailed from the car only to still get caught. Stepson was talking about driving her out there to get it, we convinced him that she doesn't deserve the help. I'd imagine he was on the way to Oregon to sell it there as lots of stolen vehicles are taken to nearest port where they're put in a container bound for Asia or Africa.

Reactions: Maggot
A week or two ago, the stepson's friend sold a Mustang for $9k in Rapid City via FB Marketplace. First dumb mistake (she's a blond). Second was accepting a check, which of course bounced. She at least withheld the title until the check would clear, that of course should have been the clue/alarm bells to not accept a fucking check, but, well, blonds are going to do blond things. Cops notified, APBs sent out throughout the whole region.

The guy fled the area, ended up in a high speed chase somewhere in Oregon. They spike stripped him, bailed from the car only to still get caught. Stepson was talking about driving her out there to get it, we convinced him that she doesn't deserve the help. I'd imagine he was on the way to Oregon to sell it there as lots of stolen vehicles are taken to nearest port where they're put in a container bound for Asia or Africa.
Accepted a check. LOL

When we sell our old trucks from our fleet, it is cash only. And we have the special gold pen that you can mark a bill with and I mark everyone.

After the cash, the boss signs it, I notarize it, remove the plates and GPS tracker and toll tag.

No checks, no payment processors.

Well, you're probably confusing the car guys as there is no 3rd member. The 3rd member is a removable center section that houses the diff such as a Ford 9". Those Chrysler axles have a conventional diff with the gears and center having to come out through the back cover.

So, call it a differential and people will be much less confused.

Second, if it has a 4.7 do everyone a favor and drop it at the nearest crusher. The 5.9 is at least rebuildable.

We had a bunch of those truck years ago. They never made it past 120k without diffs exploding, transmissions exploding, or 4.7 head gaskets going.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
My plan, give me a check, sure thing. Let’s go straight to your bank and cash it. Then, at the bank with cash in my hand, we will get the bank to notarize the bill of sale, then straight to the DMV where they will transfer ownership.

When you do sell it, do cash only and check the bills, and be armed with a wing man. There's more scammers and thieves than ever out there.

Very true, If possible meet at a PD. Let the folks inside what is going on, they do tend to get a little jumpy with odd things going on in the parking lot. If your buyer is iffy he will fight this. If he is legit he will like the idea of having cops around while he has $2000 in cash in his pocket. That thief thing can and does go both ways.

As to the car itself, hard to find something that runs and drives now for $2k. That is why you are getting a rush.

Reactions: Redmanss
The scammer problem is completely out of hand, I placed a ad just selling some old furniture(really would have been happy with a few bucks and them just take it) and had 4 reply’s in the first few hours that were obvious scams offering to pay 4 times what I asked via PayPal if I gave 1/2 cash back when they picked it up. These people monitor ads as a job, and considering how many there are everywhere there must be a high demand of the elderly or generally gullible people paying up. I mean who can you trust if you can’t trust your long lost uncle from Africa that just left you millions if you pay the transfer fee.

Reactions: Redmanss