• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crazy Effin Linemen

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
Well I know that they know what they're doing and that they're PPE is rated for this but still.

Lol....ppe is a chainmail suit.......no rubber is gonna save u from 500 kv..lol...the chopper clips in to the hot conductor..becomes part of the circuit.....pretty awesome...I'm a transmisson and distribution lineman....here at pepco we only glove 13 kv.....great job...

People worry about the radiation coming off of cell phones. What kind of cell damage is this doing?! Microwaving a hotdog in tinfoil comes to mind! LOL...

I,m a retired lineman from Duke Energy. they used to wonder about us having small families, or no children and thought it was the electro magnetic field. but in actuality it was due to the long hours and call outs to restore power every time an ice storm, or thunderstorm came or a drunk broke a pole around midnight every friday and saturday night. LOL.

Lol....ppe is a chainmail suit.......no rubber is gonna save u from 500 kv..lol...the chopper clips in to the hot conductor..becomes part of the circuit.....pretty awesome...I'm a transmisson and distribution lineman....here at pepco we only glove 13 kv.....great job...

Hey, we're pretty close apparently! I work for BGE.

I've got two brothers that are linemen, and this is pretty typical of the attitude. They definitely like to have a little "fun" in their own twisted ways.

i
PPE=Personal Protective Equipment. It's not just limited to a chem suit and rubber gloves my friend. It can be pretty much anything (clothing, helmets, goggles, vests) used to protect someone from the hazards of their particular work environment. Electricity isn't so bad once you understand and respect it. Still, these guys are pretty ballsy dealing with this stuff day in, day out.

That's pretty nuts!

Just a bit of PPE is the difference between you and toast.

Also a little bit of insulation on the aerial lift might have some minor influence on this being a fun vid instead of snuff vid...

Yeah, it's a little hairy when you'er up a pole in a rain storm working with a fiberglass stick on 14k volts. you've got your rain suit and rubber gloves on and at the end of a stick and still you have a "blue halo" circling the end of your rubber gloves where the roled cuff is. And it feels like bees stinging you on the calves of your legs where your hooks are strapped. After a while you learn what you can get by with and what you should'nt try.

Worked my way up from Grunt to journeyman in about 4.5 years.
Year 1 was learning the finer points of a spoon on a crew setting 90 footers.
If any of you know what a spoon is then you know how much fun it wasn't.
I truly do not miss winter storm call outs having to climb in the ice.
I miss even less finding cooper thieves, or should I say the remains there of.

Hey, michael! How about the "chinese typewrighter", Or in other words, the anchor borer that you twist by hand. speaking of the spade and spoon, we broke our spade one day and the foreman saw one of the guys laughing about it so he made us use what was left of it on our knees for a couple months before he got us a new one. the "good ole days" of being a grunt.

I loved the look on the three guys in the other man basket. It was like WTF are you two idiots doing.

I,m a retired lineman from Duke Energy. they used to wonder about us having small families, or no children and thought it was the electro magnetic field. but in actuality it was due to the long hours and call outs to restore power every time an ice storm, or thunderstorm came or a drunk broke a pole around midnight every friday and saturday night. LOL.

That's funny. You know you can track birth rates and tie spikes to blackouts? Every time there's an extended power outage about 9mos later there's a bunch of newborns.

I rolled up to a jobsite about 5 years ago, and found the remains of a copper thief who tried to steal from a green electrical box.

He was burnt to hell and gone, having cooked all weekend.

This video also reminds me of that video about the guy in India cooked from riding atop a subway trolley cable car. He grabbed the cable with his bare hands. He was bacon burnt.

When in doubt, hire a professional. Electrical scares the hell outta me....

Cool video!!