• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crazy Idea, I need some helpful input!!!!!!!!!!!!!

demonsmokr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
The Lone Star State
Im sure someone has thought of this. But in my searches, I have found no info on the subject. We all know Armalite uses modified M1A mags. Reason being the AWB.I know it was not kosher back then to make a new firearm to take an old magazine. But now is different, I want to modify my Armalite lower to take unmodified M1A mags. I know it sounds like a good idea to me, but Im no gunsmith or machinist. I am looking for ideas, because I have some friends with access to a CNC machine. If I could get some specs, ideas, whatever, I just might go forth to the next step and buy some extra lowers to see what works. Has anyone else had any brainstorming on this concept?

Re: Crazy Idea, I need some helpful input!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not a problem, during the AWB, for a new firearm to take an old mag. You just couldn't make new mag bodies, so they had to make something old work.

Armalite did the mods to make the mag work in the AR10.

Everything they did was necessary, they didn't do anything that wasn't needed for function.

The bolt stop and mag release cutout in the AR10 mag are the only differences between the two

Well to make an M1A mag work reliably, Armalite says to cut out the mag catch and change the follower and what not. I want wanting to make the mag work the way it is. I know Armalite has done a superb job on their mags. I have only had problems with the 25rd mags not catching the bolt. I have the new catch and everything. Sometimes it stops, but when I load a new mag, it wont chamber a new round unless I rack the bolt again. Honestly, its a day dream kinda thing. Im just saying, if civil war breaks out again, or even the lesser worry of zombies, Armalite mags will be even more hard to find. I was just trying to think of a way to mod the gun once to take the mag, instead of modifying every mag.

think about this. arma modded the mag to fit the ar10, now you want to mod the ar10 to use the old mag. i have ideas all the time. my first question i ask myself is, If its such a good idea, why havent i seen it done already? not saying yours is good or bad. but before i dump time and effort into something, i always as that question

First question to ask yourself is if you really want a paddle release instead of a button mag release. Plus I don't think there is enough material on the lower to modify for a paddle release.

oh and also modding the rifle for a zobification situation is cool cause you will have access to all the mags. but you better make this an easy modification or make a gillion parts cause when you break your ar over a zombie and have to get a new one, you need the parts to make it work with all the mags you have laying around

I think its a good idea. I would not mind a paddle release, you can already hold an un modified M1A mag in the receiver with your hand or sling and it will shoot. They already work, they just dont catch the bolt, or mag catch. That would really be the only modification, a mag catch. Im thinking Retoocs may be correct about the lack of material, maybe not. I dont have any M1A mags on hand right now. Gun show is tomorrow and Im trading some stuff mainly for other things for my Armalite. Im debating whether or not to trade my HK USP Tactical. I could get a lot stuff for it. I know there is a way to make it work. I thought one of the other versions, maybe the Dutch one took different mags at one point. I do not know, but I know it can be done, I also know the it would take probably 5-10 lowers to perfect it. Which is already an expense itself.