• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creedmoor 03A4

BillKennedy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ordered a Creedmoor 03A4 replica a few months ago after weighing Creedmoor against Gibbs and James River, and finally got it out to the range today. To begin with the rifle was absolutely beautiful as received, no problems or blemishes whatsoever. Today it proved to be very close to sighted-in as received, minor adjustment only was necessary. Tried some m2 loads, some 150-grain handloads and some 168 grain target handloads. Even with these old tired eyes, had a couple of cloverleaf patterns and soon realized this rifle shoots far better than I can hold. Trigger is just about perfect. Very happy camper here.

Been discussed before but isn't the Creedmoor just a Gibbs with a new name...or is that the James Armory???

Would be good to see detailed pics and a full range report after hearing so many different opinions (ranging from the downright abysmal to the better than perfect)on these clones.

Been discussed before but isn't the Creedmoor just a Gibbs with a new name...or is that the James Armory???

Would be good to see detailed pics and a full range report after hearing so many different opinions (ranging from the downright abysmal to the better than perfect)on these clones.

It's got a Hi-Lux M73G2 scope. I've seen and handled a Gibbs at a gun show, and I'd have to say this is not a Gibbs, although I'd be hard-pressed to tell you exactly why without a Gibbs here to compare. When I first started to look into these, I tallied all the comments I could find...Gibbs seemed to be up and down quality-wise, James River and Creedmoor I couldn't find anything negative about. I went with Creedmoor because of the quality I've seen in their other offerings, but I've never heard of a bad James River, either.
Soon as I figure out how to take and post pics (My sons happened to "borrow" my cameras, and Kuwait and Dubai are safely out of my range!) so I'll have to borrow a camera and take some pics then attempt to post them.

Great! Good luck on your shooting. I had a JRA rifle, and it was a joy to shoot. I had to replace the rear tang screw as it only had about 2-3 threads coming up from the bottom of the trigger guard into the rear tang - ordered it from Brownell's. JRA said it was spec, but I wanted peace of mind in KNOWING there was more threads making purchase into the tang. The rifle's fit and finish were superb, as I've heard the Creedmore's rifles are as well. I mainly shot PPU 150gr FMJ, and it would consistently group .75moa, but that was from a rest. Also, I'd put on a Weaver 4x scope so it was a little easier to group on a Redfield target. Those rounds now are getting extremely hard to find. Good luck shooting, and I hope you enjoy your rifle as much as I did mine. :D

Congratulations and Best of Luck in your shooting. I have 2 1903A4 one from Creedmoor and the other from James River Armory, I cant see much difference in the two
the Creedmoor Ive only shot once, ran out of daylight at the range. So still need to fine tune to scope

The James River, I shoot constantly in matches and competition shoots and it hasn't failed me yet.
I have no regrets on either purchase ... They both are FINE rifles ....

Semper Fi

Last edited:
I have a 1903A4 made by Rock Ridge Arsenal, its stamped RR on the barrel. I believe it is probably the same rifle as the Creedmore, James River and the Gibbs. This rifle has become my favorite to shoot and the more I shoot her the better she shoots. I have about 400 rounds through her now and I have recently started to reload for her. With commercial match ammo she has always been around 1/2 to 2/3 MOA (out to about 200 yards- 2.5 scope magnification is too small for much better). I have been loading her with RL19 and 168/175 SMK's and have gotten several sub 1/2 MOA (not quite 1/4 MOA) groups out of her. I haven't found the perfect combination yet, as my adjustments for 300 yards and out are not what I want yet. But overall these are solid rifles. Enjoy yours.

I have a 1903A4 made by Rock Ridge Arsenal, its stamped RR on the barrel. I believe it is probably the same rifle as the Creedmore, James River and the Gibbs. This rifle has become my favorite to shoot and the more I shoot her the better she shoots. I have about 400 rounds through her now and I have recently started to reload for her. With commercial match ammo she has always been around 1/2 to 2/3 MOA (out to about 200 yards- 2.5 scope magnification is too small for much better). I have been loading her with RL19 and 168/175 SMK's and have gotten several sub 1/2 MOA (not quite 1/4 MOA) groups out of her. I haven't found the perfect combination yet, as my adjustments for 300 yards and out are not what I want yet. But overall these are solid rifles. Enjoy yours.

If you have a rifle that will shoot sub-half MOA, you have a rare treasure. Almost no factory rifles can do that with match ammo. The USMC 1903A1 snipers with 8x Unertls were 3.5 inch 5 shot groups at 600 meters on their best day with match ammo. Very rare accuracy. Were you shooting 5 shot groups? If so, you should enter the CMP vintage sniper matches because you should be a very serious contender. The national winner in year 2 could just barely better 1 MOA with his 8X equipted rifle with match ammo. I saw his groups posted shortly after they released the replica 8X scope. He had used an A4 the year he and his partner won with a 330 Weaver.

Last edited:
My JRA rifle was 3/4 MOA gun at 100 yards with Prvi Partizan 150gr FMJs. Now, I put on a vintage Weaver 4x (K4-60b)scope (looked a LOT like the older German scopes on the K98ks, IMO). With a 600 yard zero, I could readily hit out to 700 on an IPSC target, and just holding for wind, and elevation. I could not shoot that in any CMP matches, due to the scope not being on any allowed list (despite it was from that time period). The rifle shot great (kicked like a mule, however), and I really enjoyed it. I never could find a 'course of fire' or what to expect at these "vintage sniper matches", and what rests, equipment was / was not allowed, so I never imagined attempting to shoot such a match with a 1.5x scope.

The problem with the JRA and all those others is it seems to be a crap shoot whether they are good or not. I sent my deposit for one from chuckindenver last week. I ended up going with him due to his reputation.

The problem with the JRA and all those others is it seems to be a crap shoot whether they are good or not. I sent my deposit for one from chuckindenver last week. I ended up going with him due to his reputation.

I think you were wise but please keep us informed as to what you end up with. I have known of him for over 5 years and so far, no bad reports.