• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creedmoor barrel life

Scrubbed out two carbon rings in two different barrels the past week. A bit of a mission!

Tried to do it manually by rotating an oversize bronze brush soaked in Ballistol by hand, and it was way too slow, almost no progress after 10 minutes, hard baked-on carbon, then chucked the bronze brush in a drill and rotated the brush at slow speed (about 100 rpm). That took maybe 10 minutes and the chamber was shiny clean. Could not see any damage with the Teslong bore scope (which produce fairly high res pictures), but i think it is important to keep the chamber wet throughput the process.

Last edited:
I’ve had good luck with wipe out and long soaking times to get rid of a carbon ring.

Will give it a try. Have both WipeOut and WipeOut Accelerator on hand. Presume it is ok to use them in combination.

How long do you let it soak (and is there a limit, a point where it starts to attack the metal)?

Shot the factory Savage barrel today post Tubb TMS (Throat Maintenance System) treatment. Those huge speed variations are all gone!!!!

FA057F81-FE71-4EEA-B863-9CB77BDD6CBF.jpeg

Barrel was deep cleaned after TMS treatment, so needed to shoot a few fooling rounds. After deleting the first 5 shots (slow, no copper in the barrel yet), i got an SD of 8.7 fps and an ES of 33 fps. Better than the 105 ES i saw before... when the barrel got retired.

Might need to adjust my load, not inside of the old node anymore... slower than before.

Groups (three shot) were 0.25” to 0.55”. Mostly me aiming poorly i think. The gun shoots!

Now how long will it go on like this, i have no idea. Will use it as a hunting rifle for head and neck shots, where 0.5” is more than good enough already. Not planning to put a lot of rounds through it.

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• 47F05CEA-92CD-4471-8E58-A8E884CA9E2A.jpeg
    47F05CEA-92CD-4471-8E58-A8E884CA9E2A.jpeg
    709.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Always kept the barrel cool, maybe 120-130 degree F max. Typically 15 shot strings, bull barrel.

Used RL-17 for the last 600 or so rounds, and heard later that is chews up barrels... not sure if this is correct or not... Is that true?

i probably did not clean often enough, which allowed a carbon buildup in the neck area of the chamber. That alone could explain the erratic speed... Cleaned around every 150-250 shots... What is ideal?

First pic is the freebore “before TMS” taken from the chamber side, second pic is “after TMS” taken inside the freebore. Raised areas have been (mostly) removed, and the shine was not there before. Used the Teslong bore scope.

View attachment 7199055
View attachment 7199057

Just an update post carbon ring removal. Factory Savage barrel with 2,800 rounds doen the pipe shot 0.36 MOA and 0.5 MOA five shot groups this weekend. Also SD was below 9 for 35 rounds.

Erratic speed issue (100 fps or more) is completely gone and group size is back where is used to be. I think i retired the barrel too early. Mistook the symptoms of a carbon ring for a worn out barrel.

I realize the barrel might only give me another 200-300 rounds of high accuracy, and so i intend to use it as a long range hunting rifle only. No more plinking duty for this one!

$50 bore scope paid for itself already. I now also clean my chamber differently from before (rotate an oversize bronze brush in the neck of the chamber and a good carbon solvent every time the rifle gets home).

Very happy camper. I re-use old targets many times.... frugal i guess. The stickers below are from the prior set of 0.5” groups i shot a few weeks before. No cheating involved!

4EA504BB-6197-4131-8434-DAEDA7C66C6E.png

Last edited:
Always kept the barrel cool, maybe 120-130 degree F max. Typically 15 shot strings, bull barrel.

Used RL-17 for the last 600 or so rounds, and heard later that is chews up barrels... not sure if this is correct or not... Is that true?

i probably did not clean often enough, which allowed a carbon buildup in the neck area of the chamber. That alone could explain the erratic speed... Cleaned around every 150-250 shots... What is ideal?

First pic is the freebore “before TMS” taken from the chamber side, second pic is “after TMS” taken inside the freebore. Raised areas have been (mostly) removed, and the shine was not there before. Used the Teslong bore scope.

View attachment 7199055
View attachment 7199057

Just an update post carbon ring removal. Factory Savage barrel with 2,800 rounds down the pipe shot 0.36 MOA and 0.5 MOA five shot groups this weekend. Also SD was below 9 for 35 rounds.

Erratic speed issue (100 fps variation or more) is completely gone and group size is back to where is used to be. I think i retired the barrel too early! Mistook the symptoms of a carbon ring for a worn out barrel.

I realize the barrel might only give me another 200-300 rounds of high accuracy, and so i intend to use it as a long range hunting rifle only. No more plinking duty for this one!

$50 bore scope paid for itself already.

I now also clean my chamber differently from before (rotate an oversize bronze brush in the neck of the chamber and a good carbon solvent every time the rifle gets home).

Very happy camper!

Just an update post carbon ring removal. Factory Savage barrel with 2,800 rounds down the pipe shot 0.36 MOA and 0.5 MOA five shot groups this weekend. Also SD was below 9 for 35 rounds.

Erratic speed issue (100 fps variation or more) is completely gone and group size is back to where is used to be. I think i retired the barrel too early! Mistook the symptoms of a carbon ring for a worn out barrel.

$50 bore scope paid for itself already.

I now also clean my chamber differently from before (rotate an oversize bronze brush in the neck of the chamber and a good carbon solvent every time the rifle gets home).

Very happy camper!

Is the starting velocity of the barrel after ~200rnds or so the same as it is now?

Groups on paper at 100 are one thing. Dope changes at distance due to speed loss are another.

my 6.5 creedmoor bartriln barrels just hit 2,500 rounds this past weekend and it still looks good to me still shoots just like the day I got it .

Is the starting velocity of the barrel after ~200rnds or so the same as it is now?

Groups on paper at 100 are one thing. Dope changes at distance due to speed loss are another.

Fair point. Not yet sure how speed compares.

Tried a different load this time (Berger 140 Hybrid loaded way longer than mag length, 15 thou off the lands, bullet is only 0.085” inside the neck, very minimal seating depth, because the lands have have moved forwards at least 0.25”). Chasing the lands, which seems to work better, but might need to switch to the 147 ELD and seat it deeper.

Will repeat an old pet load and see how the speed compares. I expect speed to be slower. Hopefully it will not continue to drift down...

Should have added: Also did a Tubb Throat Management System (TMS) fire lapping. Not sure how much that contributed to the results. Bore does looks more shiny than before...

Last edited:
3800 documented rounds through my RPR 6.5. I've done light cleanings every 500 rounds, or so.

I shot this group at 300 yards last Sunday.

Best-group-of-the-day-300-yards.jpg

Another way to look at it. :-D

Shot-group-animation.gif

Admittedly, not all my groups looked like that. :) Here's the whole target:

Mike-Target-2 Groups.jpg

But, it shows what the rifle can do, when I do "my part."

Last edited:
Any idea if there has been a velocity drop or if you’ve increased powder charge to keep speed up?

If so, at how many rounds?

I shoot only factory ammo. I have seen a bit of a velocity drop, though. I'd have to go back to my Magnetospeed logs to give you exact figures. Maybe later. :)

Obviously, the only thing I can do is adjust my elevation accordingly. This was with Hornady ELD-M 140-gr.

3800 documented rounds through my RPR 6.5. I've done light cleanings every 500 rounds, or so.

I shot this group at 300 yards last Sunday.

View attachment 7253536

Another way to look at it. :-D

View attachment 7253537

Admittedly, not all my groups looked like that. :) Here's the whole target:

View attachment 7253543

But, it shows what the rifle can do, when I do "my part."

3,800 is a very impressive barrel life for a 6.5 CM. Did you notice a drop in 100 yard aggregate group size? Looks like most of your groups (counting in the fliers!) are around 0.5-0.7 MOA at 300, which is good especially if there was wind speed variation.

At what point would you retire a barrel (for example, speed has dropped off by 100 fps and still dropping so dope is suspect, speed became erratic and ES exceeded 50 fps adding too much vertical at distance, groups have doubled in size, etc.). How much did the lands moved forward?

I take it you shot mostly 140 ELD-M match factory ammo. That is noteworthy. Hornady does not load their factory ammo “hot”, so that likely helped to get the round count up. Reloaders often end up pushing pressure close / closer to max (or a little beyond) and there is a price to pay for that in terms of throat erosion. Did you keep the barrel cool or did you shoot long strings of fire? Sorry for the million questions! Just trying to figure out if you did something special to get this much out of the barrel.

My understanding from what i read on this site and others, is that barrel life is expressed in number of rounds where accuracy was still up to your personal standard. So a short range BR shooter will likely retire a barrel way earlier than a guy like me who hunts Oryx at 200-350 yards and is happy with 3” groups at that distance.

Curious if you saw any drop in accuracy over the past 1,500 rounds or not. Or a change in speed.

Last edited:
3,800 is a very impressive barrel life for a 6.5 CM. Did you notice a drop in 100 yard aggregate group size? Looks like most of your groups (counting in the fliers!) are around 0.5-0.7 MOA at 300, which is good especially if there was wind speed variation.

At what point would you retire a barrel (for example, speed has dropped off by 100 fps and still dropping so dope is suspect, speed became erratic and ES exceeded 50 fps adding too much vertical at distance, groups have doubled in size, etc.). How much did the lands moved forward?

I take it you shot mostly 140 ELD-M match factory ammo. That is noteworthy. Hornady does not load their factory ammo “hot”, so that likely helped to get the round count up. Reloaders often end up pushing pressure close / closer to max (or a little beyond) and there is a price to pay for that in terms of throat erosion. Did you keep the barrel cool or did you shoot long strings of fire? Sorry for the million questions! Just trying to figure out if you did something special to get this much out of the barrel.

My understanding from what i read on this site and others, is that barrel life is expressed in number of rounds where accuracy was still up to your personal standard. So a short range BR shooter will likely retire a barrel way earlier than a guy like me who hunts Oryx at 200-350 yards and is happy with 3” groups at that distance.

Curious if you saw any drop in accuracy over the past 1,500 rounds or not. Or a change in speed.

I don't have a specific idea of when I'll retire the barrel. I guess when it's obvious that something isn't right with it, and my groups are not consistently decent. That, or it may just be when I'm ready to see what a Krieger barrel will do for me. :)

I'm not a competitive shooter (nor a hunter). I'm pretty much a recreational shooter that enjoys testing myself, seeing how accurate and precise I can get. I generally shoot prone at paper targets.

I've shot all factory ammo. Mostly Hornady ELD-M and Federal Gold Match Berger. I occasionally chrono the ammo, and I've seen a drop in velocity. But, I haven't really seen a drop in precision... My groups are still pretty good. If I do my part, I can shoot sub-1/2-MOA. I think that's still "crazy good," considering the "budget rig" I have and that I'm not a "pro" or "expert" shooter.... and mostly self-taught. So, I really haven't seen a drop in accuracy or precision.

I don't make any special effort to keep the barrel cool. I shoot "at will," pretty much. I shoot when I'm ready. I don't intentionally slow down. I like shooting. When I get a chance to go to the range, I want to shoot... a lot. :) So I go as fast as I can while maintaining the fundamentals and group nicely. So, sometimes the barrel can get pretty hot, especially when you add the Florida sun.

Edit to add some numbers.... For what it's worth....

Back in August 2018 (round count ???) my chrono numbers:

Hornady ELD-M 140-gr
AVG: 2662
SD: 9.6
ES: 27

September 2019
Hornady ELD-M 140-gr

AVG: 2590
SD: 22.9
ES: 80

But then, also September 2019....

Berger Target Hybrid 140-gr
AVG: 2703
SD: 15.6
ES: 59

Last edited:
I've got just shy of 2700 rounds through my barrel. The vast majority of those have been loaded with 40.5 grains of H4350 and topped with a 140 ELD-M. Haven't lost any velocity since I first worked the load up at about 100 rounds through the barrel. Still easily sub-1/2 moa. Was shooting over the weekend and could still consistently break clay birds on the 600 yard berm while fighting some varying winds.

I got about 1900 rounds total on my 6 Creed barrel when it wouldn't stay under 1 MOA. I was cooking 95gr Sierra TMK at about 3200-3225.

Reactions: NamibHunter
I have now exceeded 3,000 rounds last weekend.

I think the Tubb TMS treatment helped, but it could also be the deep clean and removing the carbon ring...

Most sites claim 6.5CM barrels will last about 2,500 rounds. Glad to see some folks are getting more.

I don't have a specific idea of when I'll retire the barrel. I guess when it's obvious that something isn't right with it, and my groups are not consistently decent. That, or it may just be when I'm ready to see what a Krieger barrel will do for me. :)

I'm not a competitive shooter (nor a hunter). I'm pretty much a recreational shooter that enjoys testing myself, seeing how accurate and precise I can get. I generally shoot prone at paper targets.

I've shot all factory ammo. Mostly Hornady ELD-M and Federal Gold Match Berger. I occasionally chrono the ammo, and I've seen a drop in velocity. But, I haven't really seen a drop in precision... My groups are still pretty good. If I do my part, I can shoot sub-1/2-MOA. I think that's still "crazy good," considering the "budget rig" I have and that I'm not a "pro" or "expert" shooter.... and mostly self-taught. So, I really haven't seen a drop in accuracy or precision.

I don't make any special effort to keep the barrel cool. I shoot "at will," pretty much. I shoot when I'm ready. I don't intentionally slow down. I like shooting. When I get a chance to go to the range, I want to shoot... a lot. :) So I go as fast as I can while maintaining the fundamentals and group nicely. So, sometimes the barrel can get pretty hot, especially when you add the Florida sun.

Edit to add some numbers.... For what it's worth....

Back in August 2018 (round count ???) my chrono numbers:

Hornady ELD-M 140-gr
AVG: 2662
SD: 9.6
ES: 27

September 2019
Hornady ELD-M 140-gr

AVG: 2590
SD: 22.9
ES: 80

But then, also September 2019....

Berger Target Hybrid 140-gr
AVG: 2703
SD: 15.6
ES: 59

It is noticeable that your loads are not “hot”, around 2590 to 2700, that probably helped.

Presume you have the 26” barrel?

I have now exceeded 3,000 rounds last weekend.

I think the Tubb TMS treatment helped, but it could also be the deep clean and removing the carbon ring...

Most sites claim 6.5CM barrels will last about 2,500 rounds. Glad to see some folks are getting more.

2500 is typically the amount before velocity becomes possibly inconsistent. You can get 3-4k if you’re just looking for groups.

Reactions: Sierra770
2500 is typically the amount before velocity becomes possibly inconsistent. You can get 3-4k if you’re just looking for groups.

Good to know. I am going to keep shooting this barrel until it becomes inaccurate, and will adjust the dope as it goes south.

Is it advisable to switch to a longer bullet like a 147 ELD-M or the Berger 156 and load it for a small jump? The 140 Berger Hybrid is about to fall out...

Stock / OEM 24" barrel.

Thanks for the correction. A 24” barrel in 6.5 CM running 140 gn handholds could/should achieve 2700 to 2780 fps depending on powder choice. [Even a bit more if a double base powder like RL-17 is used, but then you then have a very temperature unstable load, not recommending it.]

Of course, max achievable speed depends on your particular chamber dimensions, case volume, how fast or slow your barrel is, degree of barrel wear, fouling in the barrel, etc.

But not running hot ammo likely contributed to you achieving such exceptional barrel life. Good data point.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. A 24” barrel in 6.5 CM running 140 gn handholds could/should achieve 2700 to 2780 fps depending on powder choice. [Even a bit more if a double base powder like RL-17 is used, but you then have a very temperature unstable load. Not recommending it.]

Of course, max achievable speed depends on your particular chamber dimensions, cvolume, how fast or slow your barrel is, barrel wear, etc.

But not running hot ammo likely contributed to you achieving such exceptional barrel life.

I should measure the chamber out of curiosity, eh?

I have had to adjust my dope a bit along the way. But, hell... I'm shooting sub-1/2-MOA at 300 yards. For a recreational (non-competing) shooter like me, with a budget rig and factory ammo, I think that's great!

Reactions: wade2big
Hey guys,
I´ve googled for "barrel life creedmoor" and landed in the hide, LOL.

Those lapping bullets, interesting.
Have a Tikka 24" OEM barrel, shot with pretty hot loads with bullets from 139 to 147gr. and 50% double-based powders.
Roundcount is approx. 1.500 to 1.800 rounds (didn´t count til now) and the throat went a bit to the muzzle.

Whatcha think about those Tubb Final Finish?
Some more experience?

The web says so-so.

Use the TMS from Tubb. It’s used to smooth the throat.

Use the TMS from Tubb. It’s used to smooth the throat.

TMS worked for me. Also check for carbon ring in the chamber. Bore scopes are now affordable.

I have 3,200 through my Savage factory barrel (which of course is not hand lapped). Speed is down at least 50-60 fps but is consistent now (carbon ring was the problem), so i load a little higher, and group size has moved up from a genuine 0.25” to 0.5”, still usable for a 400 yard hunting shot. Maybe i just got lucky, and my luck will run out very soon....

I asked a gunsmith about the benefit of setting back a Remington barrel by two threads. He was not positive. How well or badly does this work in practice? The smith said 300-400 rounds tops and not worth it for a factory barrel.

Any advice?

Setting barrels back is a waste of time IMO. Throat erosion is a gradient thing that goes 6-10" forward of the chamber depending on the cartridge, load, etc... Peak pressure is typically reached when the bullet is 1.5-2" forward of the chamber, and 45-50ksi is maintained for 8-10" or more.

Setting back 1-2" just puts you into slightly less-completely-toasted rifling.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
That may be true about 6.5 barrel life being shorter than a 308 , maybe I am just really lucky, or god really does smile on those that shoot a 6.5 creedmoor but we have 3700 rounds through our 6.5 creedmoor 26'' bartlein barrel and it still is able to shoot under a 2 '' or better groups at 600 not that my skills with the gun allow that to happen all the time and dime sized groups at 100 yards and again my skills I wish it was a regular thing but it's my failure not the guns and the throat does not look like lizard fore skin the barrel thread is still only 1/2 used from what it looked like new I did cross my fingers when I say I am hopping for another 3500 rounds minimum well I am hoping for that anyway . If a better shooter can get better groups I am positive my lack of skill is the reason I cannot yet to shoot smaller groups I am also sure the factory ammo with a sd's of 28 can not be help full when trying for smaller groups at longer ranges surprising it still put pretty good groups our first trip out to a range with 1k yards and was hitting a clay at 700 yards and turning it into pieces and dust I am excited to try hitting a golf ball out past 600 yards lol that should be fun . So I scoff at only 1200 rounds lol .

Last edited:
that may be true about 6.5 barrel life , maybe I am just really lucky but we have 3700 rounds through our 6.5 creedmoor and it still is able to shoot under a 1'' groups at 600 and dime sized groups at 100 yards and the throat does not look like lizard fore skin the barrel thread is still only 1/2 used from what it looked like new I did cross my fingers when I say I am hopping for another 3500 rounds minimum well I am hoping for that anyway . If a better shooter can get better groups I am positive my lack of skill is the reason I cannot yet to shoot smaller groups I am also sure the factory ammo with a sd of 28 cannot help trying for smaller groups . so far I scoff at only 1200 rounds lol .
1” groups at 600?

that should probably be more like 2'' groups on a 3'' plate

Last edited:
Reactions: DMP
Don't waste your time setting back any factory barrel. Waste of money.

Fair enough.

Presume that is still an option for a 30” Shilen Match Select hand lapped barrel when that stick gets too much throat erosion? It seems the gunsmiths prefer to cut it back like 1-2”, presumably to get rid of the worst fire cracking? And as mentioned earlier the barrel ID will likely be slightly enlarged over the first several inches.

The MPA i run is a switch lug rifle. Thinking of rechambering the [Edit: ] 24” 30-06 in in 300 PRC.... or the 6.5 CM in 6.5 PRC. The 300 PRC will be single feed only as the standard mag will never hold that long cartridge.

New bolt new dies new brass new modified case new whatever and chamber fees.... all adds up to a $1000 adventure soon! Just wondering it it would not be better to just buy a new barrel and be done with it?

Last edited:
A 300 PRC, chambered in a 30" 6.5CM barrel? Uhhh...okay....

Yup they usually cut off at least the 1-2" for just that reason. You have to check the barrel contour to make sure it's even possible. I had my first MTU 6.5 Creedmoor barrel set back and I got about another 1200 rounds or so out of it. Most say you will get about 1/2 the barrel life out of a set back.

Do you mean a switch bolt? And then changing the barrel to a 300PRC which is a .30 and making it a single shot rifle? You can't make a 6.5 into a 300PRC.

A 300 PRC, chambered in a 30" 6.5CM barrel? Uhhh...okay....

Jumping topics too rapidly. There are two barrels in the safe, 6.5 CM (7 twist); and a 30-06 10 twist. Considering 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC. Or both. Barrel burners but low wind drift.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Yup they usually cut off at least the 1-2" for just that reason. You have to check the barrel contour to make sure it's even possible. I had my first MTU 6.5 Creedmoor barrel set back and I got about another 1200 rounds or so out of it. Most say you will get about 1/2 the barrel life out of a set back.

Do you mean a switch bolt? And then changing the barrel to a 300PRC which is a .30 and making it a single shot rifle? You can't make a 6.5 into a 300PRC.

Yep brain fart, two barrels and two caliber choices in mind, see above...

Have so far successfully avoided firing a 30 cal bullet through 264 cal barrel... 😊

Last edited:
Yep brain fart, two barrels and two caliber choices in mind, see above...

Have so far successfully avoided firing a 30 cal bullet through 264 cal barrel... 😊
LOL! Yeah, I've played with swaged barrels before, but never a centerfire one (at least not one that severe). :D

Here’s a situation. I have 3 matches left this season that I’d like to get through. Two local 1-day, and one 2-day. So let’s say 400 rounds worth of matches shooting. I’m running a custom Tikka T3 with a Rock Creek 6.5 Creedmoor that has 2,200 rounds on it as of now - but it’s still hammering and velocity is excellent.

I ordered a Benchmark to replace my Rock Creek, but I don’t think I’ll get it in time for any of the upcoming matches due to backlog. Do I just bring a .308 gas gun as a back up? It’s all I have 🤔

Here’s a situation. I have 3 matches left this season that I’d like to get through. Two local 1-day, and one 2-day. So let’s say 400 rounds worth of matches shooting. I’m running a custom Tikka T3 with a Rock Creek 6.5 Creedmoor that has 2,200 rounds on it as of now - but it’s still hammering and velocity is excellent.

I ordered a Benchmark to replace my Rock Creek, but I don’t think I’ll get it in time for any of the upcoming matches due to backlog. Do I just bring a .308 gas gun as a back up? It’s all I have 🤔
Just run it and worry about barrrel life when the matches are over. Get the round count out of your head or you won’t enjoy the matches because every miss you’ll start to think the barrel is crapping out on you. Go shoot, enjoy talking to other, and have fun.

Reactions: Billiam1211
Yeah shoot it. My last barrel I was in a similar spot and just kept shooting it and it’s around 2800 rounds now and still doing well as all I shot through it is factory ammo and the velocities were lower in the mid 2700s.

Reactions: NamibHunter