• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creekside Sniper Challenge Taylorsville GA

Re: Creekside Sniper Challenge Taylorsville GA

Had a great time. This was my first rifle match so I had no idea what to expect, but had a great time regardless. I'll be attending again. I just hope next time my spotter isn't wearing a dress
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a great time. This was my first rifle match so I had no idea what to expect, but had a great time regardless. I'll be attending again. I just hope next time my spotter isn't wearing a dress
wink.gif
</div></div>

You mean you werent impressed with his legs?

DSC00457.jpg

Sorry you got stuck with Marcie, it'll be ok next time.

I'm glad that you came up and shot with us and we will deffinately do it again and Ill give an update as to when the next one is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAR? </div></div>

Not sure what to tell ya I guess, but I'll give it a shot.

Match was fired in 3 stages with the first stage being 3 "sub-stages".

1st stage of the 1st stage was; Run ~100yds and fire at 5 targets at approx 400yds from the prone position with NO part of the weapon touching the ground (to include bipod and sling....pretty much prone unsupported). Oh....90 second time limit starting before the 100yd run.

2nd stage of 1st stage; run ~100yds and fire at 5 targets at approx 300yds from the partner assisted kneeling position. Again, 90 second time limit.

Final stage of 1st stage; run ~100 yds and fire at 5 targets at approx 200yds from the partner assisted standing position. Same deal, 90 second time limit.

Second Stage;

Starting on the far side of a waist deep creek (4:30 time limit from start time), cross creek and follow short trail (maybe 20yds) to elevated hide position. Climb up into elevated hide (3'x5' platform) and fire at 11 targets from standing position. Position was made slightly easier by resting rifle on a thick steady branch. Targets were approx 410yds distant.

Third and final stage;

Travel through short trail in woods (again approx 20yds) to hide site. Engage 11 targets from prone supported position. Targets approx 530yds away. Time limit, 5 minutes.

The challenge was made a little more difficult by all equipment carried for the 1st shot had to be carried for all shots and no equipment could be added after the first shot. Also, for the 2nd stage both shooter and spotter had to be on the platform eliminating any possibility of shooting from the prone position.

First shot was fired probably around 8 or 8:30 in the morning and we wrapped up sometime around 5:30 or 6. It took slightly longer due to a bee sting that sent a shooter on another part of the range into shock (or thats the story that I got) that the range owner and scorer of our match had to call a cold range and deal with that issue.

There was a nice shady spot were we all staged at and waited our turn in line. All the folks there (participants and range cadre alike) were kind and acted with a high level of class. The range cadre did stress safety and a high level of common sense.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a great time. This was my first rifle match so I had no idea what to expect, but had a great time regardless. I'll be attending again. I just hope next time my spotter isn't wearing a dress
wink.gif
</div></div>

You mean you werent impressed with his legs?

DSC00457.jpg

Sorry you got stuck with Marcie, it'll be ok next time.

I'm glad that you came up and shot with us and we will deffinately do it again and Ill give an update as to when the next one is. </div></div>

Yep, that was my shooting partner/spotter. I'll add that this was only his second "sniper" competition, but he did very well in aiding me in my target acquisition, spotting my hits/misses, and issuing corrections to me. If it weren't for him, its doubtful that I'd have been able to clean the final stage of the match.

On a side note, I haven't seen any photos of me shooting in the partner assisted positions....Thank God.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAR? </div></div>

Day got started at about 8am, first stage was broken down into 3 sub stages. Shooters and spotters started at the 500 yard line and ran up to about 425 from the targets where they were to get into the hawkins position and engage targets from that distance. There was a 2/3rds silhouette, a 12 inch steel plate, a 8 inch steel plate and a 5 inch diamond ( I think it was), shooters had 90 seconds to run up to the firing line and engage and hit as many targets as they could. After all shooters had been thru that first sub stage the scorers moved up to the next firing postion which was at about 325 or so, again shooter and spotter had 90 seconds to run from the original firing postion at 425 to the new firing position at 325 and engage the same bank of targets, this time it was a spotter asissted from the kneeling position, spotter on his knees and shooter using spotters shoulder to shoot from. From this position there was a bonus target available to the shooter if they wanted to take it. Bonus target was a piece of 4 inch wide steel by 8 inches long run horizontally, OR a 2 inch wide by 8 inch long piece of steel run vertically. Third substage was shooters and spotters start at last firing position and run to aprox 200 yards and again engage same array of targets this time from the standing position spotter assisted again off the spotters shoulder. Again the same bonus targets were available.

Stage 2 was the fun stage, a creek crossing then a move into an elevated hide. Shooters and spotters were staged in a creek about 25 yards wide and about 3 feet deep or so. Deepest part was where you were staged in the creek and it was about waist deep at that spot. Follow the rope acrossed the creek to dry land, one hand must be in contact with rope at all times until both feet hit dry land on the other side. From there you had a choice, either go behind the tree with really wasnt the best route, or get back in the water right in front of the tree which was just over ankle deep and get to the sloped bank to climb out of the creek and continue on to the hide. Once up on flat ground where the hide was, you had to go thru about 20 yards or so of vegetation and then on to the hide iteslf which was an elevated platform in a tree about 6 foot off the ground. There was no real ladder to get into the platform but with your spotters help there were cross braces on one end to climb up and into the hide. From there you had 11 total targets to engage covering a total width of about 100 yards. The distance to the targets out of that position was aproximate 410 yards. There was a "start" plate on that stage, in which you had to shoot prior to shooting the remaining targets. The start plate was an eight inch square plate with a red "no shoot" plate just below it, hit the red plate and you take a penatly for each hit. Targets varied in size from a 2/3rds silhouette to a 4 inch tirangle. Total time on this stage was 6 minutes to cross the creek, make your way to the platform, climb in and then engage the targets. The tree that the platform was in did offer a branch to steady the rifle from to shoot.

And the third and final stage was a hide in the woodline, where you had to weave thru a very simple path just barely wide enough for you to get thru, it might have been 35 yards from where you entered the woods to make it over to the hide. The hide was basically some fallen logs and limbs piled to where you had to shoot thru. Barrel had to be behind the furthest most log and there was a dip just behind the logs in which your bipod sat down in and required you to adjust it before taking the shot. Again there were 11 targets to shoot, and again there was a start plate with a no shoot this time behind it. Start plate was a 6 inch circle. The targets were located in two different firing lines about 75 yards in width, and were spread wide. From this position the bonus targets from the first stage were available again. Shots on this last and final stage was aproximately 530 yards. For this stage you had a total of 4.5 minutes.

There were a total of 37 targets for the day, not including the bonus targets which there were 4 available. Total round count available to shoot for each shooter was 45 rounds, two shooters were DQ'd for shooting more than they were allowed. The one shooter shot 46 and the other shot 48, it is up to the shooter and spotter to know their round count, it was not provided by the scorekeepers. There is a standing offer by the match director/range owner that if someone clears his match 1 shot per target he will pay them 100 dollars on the spot. He has yet to pay anyone. Winning shooter had a total of 28 hits.

sawgunner2001,

Brian, thanks for being a good spot about shooting/spotting with a guy in a dress that didn't shave his legs.

I think it brought you good luck seeing how you won the match and all. But we'll see if it was you or the dress at the next match because I won't be making any more bets.

Glad you made the drive and congrats on the win.

Did you show your wife the pictures? Mine started crying because she was laughing so hard.

Marcus