• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CRF Actions

ykrvak

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm thinking about completely rebuilding or possibly replacing my primary hunting rifle. It's currently using a Rem 700 action but I'm feeling like changing to a CRF style instead. Other than Ruger and Winchester who has CRF actions? Sako? Also are there any builders out there that have their own CRF style actions like you see with the 700 clones? If memory serves MT Rifle Co. has a crf action don't they? I don't recall reading anything very flattering about their products however. Any relevant experiences, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: CRF Actions

As mentioned above, the Mauser 98 is <span style="font-style: italic">the</span> CRF action. The 550 is a very nice action as well, although I have never been a fan of the CZ ring set up.

WOW! Nothing like spacing out on the action all those others were based off of. Duh! Getting a little bushy maybe. I'd like to put it in a manners T stock like the rifle it's replacing. That will probably narrow the selection a bit. It's also going to have to have a 20 moa pic rail available as well.

What's the ring set up on the CZ's like? Sort of the same deal as a ruger?

Winchester also makes FN SPR rifles on their model 70 CRF actions. Not sure in FN sells only the actions but you cannot go wrong with a model 70 CRF action.

Billyburl2, savage does not have crf. Anyway, Montana Rifle co makes a great crf action. I have one that I built into a 6.5 REM MAG. Similar to pre 64 Win Model 70. Flat breech instead of coned but inner action is coned and little different bolt shroud. Bolt release is similar to sako.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ykrvak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! Nothing like spacing out on the action all those others were based off of. Duh! Getting a little bushy maybe. I'd like to put it in a manners T stock like the rifle it's replacing. That will probably narrow the selection a bit. It's also going to have to have a 20 moa pic rail available as well.

What's the ring set up on the CZ's like? Sort of the same deal as a ruger? </div></div>

You must be planning on hunting LONG)RANGE if you're going with a 20 MOA base!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Billyburl2, savage does not have crf. Anyway, </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes,</span> excaliber , Savage WSM Actions <span style="font-weight: bold">ARE</span> CRF, I have 2 sitting in front of me...

Ace, do you know what CRF is? CRF means the cartridge is controlled (held) by the extractor from the mag box to the chamber like a mauser or pre 64 Win mod 70. Savage does not have an extractor like either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ace, do you know what CRF is? CRF means the cartridge is controlled (held) by the extractor from the mag box to the chamber like a mauser or pre 64 Win mod 70. Savage does not have an extractor like either. </div></div>

Yes, Darling, I'm not the one talking out of my Ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage does not have an extractor like either. </div></div>

I have a Savage model 16 in 300WSM that's CRF. Ace is correct.

You also don't need it to look like a Mauser or Mauser knockoff for something to be CRF. The way it functions dictates whether or not it's a CRF bolt, not the way it looks.

CRF is a design, not exclusive to the M98 and variants. As long as the rim of the cartridge is captured by the bolt, before the cartridge is released from the magazine, the action is CRF, as the cartridge is never in an uncontrolled state from the magazine into the chamber.

The most common method to achieve this is the long claw extractor of the M98 Mauser and all the variants thereof. However, nearly any action can be made to be CRF by fitting a mechanical ejector (usually a blade) and machining out the bottom of the boltface to pickup the cartridge and the extractor at the 9-o'clock.

Winchester had their CPF (fitted to some WSM rifles), Savage has theirs, and SAKO has theirs. I'm sure there's a few more out there too.

Decided to go with the Win Mod 70 SS classic in 30-06. Been running magnums of various flavors for years (for the most part) and am ready for a change. Still have a couple around if I decide I need one. Time to look into ordering a manners T for it now. Thanks for the input guys.