• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimped 308 primers

Highflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have about 100 FC 308 brass that have crimped primers. I can remove them but need to know if
their is any way to open the primer whole enough to accept an new primer?

If you only have 100 rounds you can trim around the crimped area with a pocketknife and have them all done in less than an hour. No waiting or extra money spent on swagers/reamers. OR chuck a #2 Phillips bit into a drill and use that to ream them.
OR use the pointy end of your deburring tool.
(I keep thinking of other ways of doing this while typing.)
You don't have to remove much material.

When I first started reloading I took a large diameter drill bit in a press at work, wrapped it with electrical tape to get a good snug fit on the Lee chamfer tool and would leave the bit on while I chamfered the crimp off. I must've done a couple thousand pieces of our range 556 brass that way over the course of a couple years.

I don't reload our unit's range pickups anymore, but I would be buying a swaging tool if I did.