• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion 18" CORE barrel change update

TacticalPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Just wanted to post up my initial break in and range session with the new 18-in CORE barrel from Criterion. Had a slight break in the weather before snow came in during my time at the firing line. Was able to record first shots out to 100y just under 3/4MOA in a five-shot group. Factory Black hills 77 TMK .

Since this was my initial shakedown I did not prepare for an extended session with velocity numbers or groups. That's coming next. 19° out with snow is not ideal conditions for that. So I don't want to waste your time.

I was able to dial in my go to optic and run drills between 50 and 100 yards in shitty conditions. Perfect day for training. Up drills were extremely fast and my follow-up shots were effortless. The rifle length gas system is soft and extraction is positive. I tried using a blast diverter on my SOCOM brake so that I may feel the recoil impulse. LIKE BUTTA. . I'm running VLTOR A5 H2 and an enhanced combat trigger from Geissele. Barrel contour lives up to its hype. It is well balanced and the gun is very neutral. Balances right where it should be directly in front of the magwell.

Since this is a chrome lined barrel I'm not looking for true precision, so I'm keeping my expectations realistic. But based upon what I've seen so far I think it's a pretty solid choice for a DMR application. I expect the accuracy to only get better.

I'll keep you posted...

TP...

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_132720~3.jpg
    IMG_20210213_132720~3.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_20210213_144121.jpg
    IMG_20210213_144121.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20210213_132719 (1)~2.jpg
    IMG_20210213_132719 (1)~2.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
This is great to hear!
I ordered a 16" core right at the start of December so hopefully it will ship soon. sadly this makes me want it even more

look forward to some numbers

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Was always curious about the CORE barrels. Huge fan of Criterion, and have been poking around at barrels for a DMR/Accurized AR match rifle. TY for the write up! Glad to see it's doing well and comfortably submoa!

Have you gotten any more rounds downrange? I've got the same barrel and matched bolt going into a LaRue Stealth 2.0 upper, and have been debating how to set it up.

I'll repost this from another thread , since it applies to my original post here...

" So I've been evaluating the CORE 18" from Criterion. And now that its mostly broken in I'm comfortable with its accuracy @ .72 on a 5 shot group using BH 77TMK factory ammo. Haven't ran it through the Magneto Speed yet. Its not stringing any more after 125 rnds. As far as the balance goes , its REALLY GOOD - feels like a shorter barrel. That being said, if the 18" CORE is this good, the 16 should be a no brainer. "

So it's looking like a reliable .70'ish barrel with very smooth gas . Wish it came with a pinned GB option but I can add that down the road. Changed out the HG and I'm running it slick to keep it fast & reduce any chances of shift I've been hearing about.

TP....

Attachments

• 20210625_194219~3.jpg
    20210625_194219~3.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 233
One last thing worth mentioning. My original intention for this build was for a high round count "trainer" that is as close in feel to a KAC LPR Mod2 upper. Since I needed to dial myself in over a lot of rounds down range, I gravitated towards what Criterion offered in the CORE series.

Nothing against Criterion intended when I say "trainer upper" . But obviously a stainless barreled LPR Mod2 is not cheap nor is it going to be as durable to train with before heat takes its toll. So in this setting I wanted a chrome lined barrel that delivers enough accuracy to suit my needs . The Criterion CORE in 18" is exactly what I need.

When time is available I will post target and Chrono data.

~ TP....

One last thing worth mentioning. My original intention for this build was for a high round count "trainer" that is as close in feel to a KAC LPR Mod2 upper. Since I needed to dial myself in over a lot of rounds down range, I gravitated towards what Criterion offered in the CORE series.

Nothing against Criterion intended when I say "trainer upper" . But obviously a stainless barreled LPR Mod2 is not cheap nor is it going to be as durable to train with before heat takes its toll. So in this setting I wanted a chrome lined barrel that delivers enough accuracy to suit my needs . The Criterion CORE in 18" is exactly what I need.

When time is available I will post target and Chrono data.

~ TP....
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just curious how it's going.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just curious how it's going.
Still pretty solid choice for a rough duty 18" . Its not a precision barrel from my experience. My average 5 shot groups @ around .75-1" with IMI RAZOR CORE 77gr. Not quite as good as the now RARE BH 77 TMK, but good enough.

Balance and recoil impulse is excellent. For my intended needs , its a great barrel.

Attachments

• 20220323_100911.jpg
    20220323_100911.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Still pretty solid choice for a rough duty 18" . Its not a precision barrel from my experience. My average 5 shot groups @ around .75-1" with IMI RAZOR CORE 77gr. Not quite as good as the now RARE BH 77 TMK, but good enough.

Balance and recoil impulse is excellent. For my intended needs , its a great barrel.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond! I'm going to pick up the one that's been on the px today I think.