• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique my potential build..

Bootleggn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2009
Ok
Just trying to get ideas before I drop the $. Any concerns, previous experiences w/ a similar setup?

Sako TRG-42 .338LM
Sako Bipod
Accu-Shot BT12 Monopod
Near 30 MOA base
Near AlphaMount Mount/Rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 NP-R1 Reticle(High Speed, Zero Stop)
AAC Titan Ti(Titanium) Suppressor

Aiming this rifle towards 1,500 yard shots, any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Critique my potential build..

I might worry about getting a 100 yd zero with that base, if you are going strictly for long range and move out the zero than ok. If I were spending that much money I would for sure go with a high end 20X or more FFP scope. Thats IMHO of course!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...If I were spending that much money I would for sure go with a high end 20X or more FFP scope. Thats IMHO of course!...</div></div>

What glass would you grab in this scenario, and why?

The NF is 5.5-22. If you don't shoot at dusk or dawn, then the 50mm tube will give you a marginally lower profile optic. You could go with better optics like Premier or S&B, but NF is excellent already. Besides that, I would say prefect!

One more thing, make sure your suppressor and barrel threading match.

I am trying to keep this build under 8k, hence the Nightforce.

I would go with the SS 5-20 if on a budget or a S&B, or Premier if going all out. If you are going as long as I think you are, spend money on good glass or like a lot of us regret it and buy it again later. I have a work bench full of "I thought it would be good enoughs". And the SS 5-20 is a great value, and believe it or not of it's few downfalls one is not the glass!

The 5-22 has 100moa of elevation right, why would a 30moa base present a problem for a 100y zero??? You have around 20moa left over.

Or did I miss something?

you will be fine with a 30moa base and probably could even get away with a 40 moa base.

honestly you have made great choices all around only thing i might change is the suppressor i would probably opt for a thunderbeast or a shark but that is just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...only thing i might change is the suppressor i would probably opt for a thunderbeast or a shark but that is just me...</div></div>

Sound Reduction for the AAC Titan Ti is 34dB. Do you know the reduction level of the others? Weight? Maybe RayDog could chime in?

I would really never trust the manufacturers numbers. Plus DB ratings are not the end all be all of picking a suppressor. With that said, the Titan, Shark and TBAC are all good suppressors. The Titan comes in at a staggering 20ozs. That is light as hell for a 338LM rated suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would really never trust the manufacturers numbers. Plus DB ratings are not the end all be all of picking a suppressor. With that said, the Titan, Shark and TBAC are all good suppressors. The Titan comes in at a staggering 20ozs. That is light as hell for a 338LM rated suppressor.</div></div>

That is why I have swayed towards the titanium Titan Ti. Also, Major Malfunction lives 20 minutes from me and Class 3 Designs is 1/2 mile away so hopefully getting my hands on one won't be that bad..

you could forgo the Sako Bipod and dump the money into a diff scope. The harris bipod would be roughly $400 cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eeshooter45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could forgo the Sako Bipod and dump the money into a diff scope. The harris bipod would be roughly $400 cheaper. </div></div>

The only problem is the S&B I want is $1,400.00 more than the Nightforce. Subtract the $400.00 from the bipod and I am still $1,000.00 shy if I stay in budget($8,000.00 or less).

Unless someone wants to offer me a S&B PMII 5-25x56 L/P GEN II XR MOA DT CW for $2,000.00. Any offers? Lol...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That build sheet sucks.</div></div>

Lol.... Thanks!

i'd look at the 8-32...or even the 12-42 nightforce if you're shooting 1500yds...... i know the guys on here swear you don't need more than 10x for 1.5miles (lol) but i know that i actually LIKE identifying what i hit with some degree of assurance..... other than that...i'd go with a different bipod....something like the new one from sinclair...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bootleggn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eeshooter45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could forgo the Sako Bipod and dump the money into a diff scope. The harris bipod would be roughly $400 cheaper. </div></div>

The only problem is the S&B I want is $1,400.00 more than the Nightforce. Subtract the $400.00 from the bipod and I am still $1,000.00 shy if I stay in budget($8,000.00 or less). </div></div>

Get the Harris, take the $400 left and put towards a USO or just get the 56mm objective Nightforce to help with lower light conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...i'd go with a different bipod....something like the new one from sinclair... </div></div>

Link to this new bipod by any chance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hrow things for a loop ... But why .338? If I were to build something with this much cash and looking to be super accurate, I would look at the 300 Norma mag. Just sayin...
</div></div>

Simple, I've always wanted to put together a .338LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and put towards a USO or just get the 56mm objective Nightforce to help with lower light conditions... </div></div>

56 objective was the plan listed in the "build sheet" above..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bootleggn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hrow things for a loop ... But why .338? If I were to build something with this much cash and looking to be super accurate, I would look at the 300 Norma mag. Just sayin...
</div></div>

Simple, I've always wanted to put together a .338LM </div></div>

I can respect that.

So you would look at Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 over 5.5-22x56? Also adding a Nightforce Angle Degree Indicator..

5.5-22 NF. The 8-32x has a limited amount of travel.

I think the list of parts is pretty solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bootleggn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hrow things for a loop ... But why .338? If I were to build something with this much cash and looking to be super accurate, I would look at the 300 Norma mag. Just sayin...
</div></div>

That's funny. "Because I want one"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bootleggn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's funny. "Because I want one"</div></div>

Damn straight...!

Ditch the monopod for a rear bag. The monopods I've used have been slow and snagtastic (catch on everything).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22 NF. The 8-32x has a limited amount of travel.

I think the list of parts is pretty solid. </div></div>

You sir have your head screwed on tight!

I have a Sako TRG42 in 338, with a 20moa NEAR base and an 8-32 NXS with NPR2 reticle. My scope is 12moa up off the very bottom to get a 200yard zero, and the scope runs out of elevation at 54moa up from 200. Thats 66moa TOTAL travel. A bummer when shooting at 1760 yards where my 250gr Scenars at 2810fps require 68moa up from 200. I can hold 7 reticle tick marks (14moa) over, but only if I set the scope to 22 power!! I would MUCH prefer the 22X max scope, and be able to dial my dope directly.

By the way, 22X is plenty to hold on a 10"x10" piece of steel at 1760.

Finally a good reason rather than a bunch of ya ya. Simply because that's what I want.

Good stuff.