• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique this 6.5 Grendel Build Please

GT1975

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
PA
Spent a lot of time reading and deciding on parts, any issues with this build please let me know! Goal was a "really nice" build with potential for excellent accuracy, tried to spend where it counted and get stuff I like but is reasonably priced in other areas. Lower receiver is the only thing still up in the air. I have an OD Green Aero M4E1 lower but prefer to keep it with the matched Aero upper I have. Looks like it's coming in around $1200 before lower receiver so it's definitely up there for an AR build. Everything has already been ordered or is in hand other than the lower. I know some things like the silent spring are not a necessity but it's not really a huge expense and I can always part out anything not needed later on

Also a friend is offering me a basically new Burris XTR II 5-25x50 illuminated scope with mount for $700, is that a good option for this build? I don't really need this gun to shoot inside 50 yds

JP 18” Supermatch barrel, black teflon coating, rifle length gas, with headspaced enhanced JP bolt

Aero Precision Adjustable Gas block and rifle length gas tube, black nitride

Aero VG6 Gamma Compensator

Aero precision bolt carrier, black nitride

VLTOR MUR Upper receiver (OD green) with parts

Manticore Arms Transformer 15” rail

Larue MBT-2S trigger

SOLGW LPK

JP Silent Captured Spring

BCM Gunfighter QD end plate

Spikes Castle nut

A2 or Carbine extension/Buffer and spring/Stock

Lower Receiver?

Id spend the cash and get the complete JP BCG to go along with the bolt and SCS. I went through bunch of different gas blocks on my build. ended up sticking with the SLR. The XTR will suite you well, although its a bit large on a small frame AR.
DB787352-E262-4016-9397-EB7FCAD4246D_1_201_a.jpeg

Why not get the jp adjustable gas block when you get the barrel? Zero flaws with the 5 I have.

Reactions: GT1975
With the SCS, you’ll want 2 tungsten weights if it is to be suppressed and it’ll be super smooth when the gas is adjusted correctly. Otherwise it’ll run like a broke dick dog by which I mean that it will mash the crap out of the ballistic tips.

Why not get the jp adjustable gas block when you get the barrel? Zero flaws with the 5 I have.
One reason can be access to gas port. The JP is side accessed and if you have a aJP handguard you’ll have access. A non J.P. guard can take some modification

Id spend the cash and get the complete JP BCG to go along with the bolt and SCS. I went through bunch of different gas blocks on my build. ended up sticking with the SLR. The XTR will suite you well, although its a bit large on a small frame AR.View attachment 7399126

nice looking rig is that the same XTR scope? what size receiver extension?

re: the BCG I was trying to save some money and didn't think it mattered. If it makes any difference I have also a KAK BCG and RCA BCG from another build I could use?

With the SCS, you’ll want 2 tungsten weights if it is to be suppressed and it’ll be super smooth when the gas is adjusted correctly. Otherwise it’ll run like a broke dick dog by which I mean that it will mash the crap out of the ballistic tips.

wasn't planning to shoot suppressed and was going with full weight BCG and stock weight SCS/spring to start out, not sure yet if it will be rifle or carbine length receiver extension

No, thats a PST Gen 2 3-15. Carbine extension. Rifle started off as a complete Larue Grendel but I wasn't impressed with the accuracy so I had Craddock spin up a Bartlein barrel and replaced the BCG with the JP

Last edited:
The heart of a build is always the barrel, and you're in good hands with JP (and the matched bolt). Matched with the heavy duty VLTOR upper, you should have a very stable platform for precision. You might want to look into bedding the barrel to the receiver extension to get every last bit of precision out of this rig.

That XTR 2 is one hell of a scope for $700. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it should help you get the most out of this rifle. I suspect you're going to have one hell of a shooter on your hands.

The heart of a build is always the barrel, and you're in good hands with JP (and the matched bolt). Matched with the heavy duty VLTOR upper, you should have a very stable platform for precision. You might want to look into bedding the barrel to the receiver extension to get every last bit of precision out of this rig.

That XTR 2 is one hell of a scope for $700. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it should help you get the most out of this rifle. I suspect you're going to have one hell of a shooter on your hands.

I was looking at doing that, lapping tool, shim stock and maybe loctite 620

Reactions: drewthebrave
JP barrel and bolt, VLTOR upper. That's all that really matters for a precision round like Grendel. I dunno how the extension fit is to the upper, probably would have gone with a JP upper and thermofit it, but like I said who knows. Looks aces from the specs. Lapp it and bed it, shoot it.