• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique this build, 6.5 Grendel

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
Yeah i know, another build thread, but this one will have pics soon!

Let me know how this combination of parts sounds:

-Mega billet side charging upper
-Young MFG national match bolt carrier with side charger
-24" 1 in 9" twist Sabre Defense barrel
-BCM gunfighter charging handle
-Yankee Hill modular free float handguard
-Troy flip up BUIS
-Atlas V8 bipod
-Gas block, gas tube, and bolt that comes with the Sabre barrel

-Mega billet lower
-Olympic buffer tube
-Olympic rifle buffer
-Tubb's flat wire CS buffer spring
-Magpul PRS stock
-Geisselle match trigger
-Falcon industries palm swell grip with palm shelf
-DPMS LPK (minus grip and trigger so just the pins really)

-Leupold Mk IV 4.5-14x50 to crown it.

Some goodies showed up today with brown santa:
sorry for the weak ass pic, i know its lame. This is minus the barrel, handguard, and lower receiver. Wont be too long now before i can assemble this amazing weapon.

DSC01578.jpg

DSC01589-1.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

Re: Critique this build, 6.5 Grendel

Don't forget the anchor rope that's going to be one heavy sumbitch

Let us know about accuracy!!----awaiting pics--good luck with the
YHM handguard--mine continues to shoot loose at approx 300 round intervals--other than that you made some great choices

It comes loose? I made a misttake, I have the YHM that's smooth until the front of the gun, then it has a quad rail.

Should I build on the Mega billet lower, or a POF Gen II lower?

Thats the twist rate and barrel that was recommended to me.

Im building this rifle with the guidance of a buddy who has built several, and ive heard and read that the 24" in in 9 is a good combination.

was just curious, all depends on bullets chosen and loadings. It can be argued that the 1-9 is the best "multi-use" or "all-encompassing" twist so you should be dealing with a nice ass gun when all said and done

edited- I'm a dipshit, just now realized your building a grendel, disregard last

You still think its gonna be a nice ass rifle? :p

Sounds like you are about to have funn.
you might want to consider a PRI GasBuster over the BCM charging handle.
I have three grendel's two I built, and one experiment someone else built.

I enjoy all three! Especially with a Jet Suppressor!

barrel is about 12 inches too long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel is about 12 inches too long </div></div>

Ive never seen a 6.5mm Grendel carbine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel is about 12 inches too long </div></div>

Ive never seen a 6.5mm Grendel carbine </div></div>

Start a trend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: widnerkj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use the Mega lower, as it will match up with the upper you have perfectly. </div></div>

Im going to. Ordered it today. Ill probably be able to take possession of t at the shop friday, and if the barrel, handguard, and trigger come between now and then, I can get this bad boy assembled.

well, keep us posted. I'm pretty excited for you. and send me a PM if you need the action block and wrench to do your upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel is about 12 inches too long </div></div>

Alexander Arms has 10.5" uppers and 16" barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel is about 12 inches too long </div></div>

Alexander Arms has 10.5" uppers and 16" barrels. </div></div>

But the question is how well does the 6.5mm cartridge perform ballistically out of a barrel that short? I hadn't see either of those items. I didn't spend much time on their website because I got "their" upper and BCG direct from the source without the AA markings on them.

Supposedly 2300+ fps with 120gr out of 12", good performance I think if you use 123gr

Will the 1 in 9" twist rate work well with the Lapua 123 gr scenar bullets?

This sounds like a nice build. What brake or flash suppressor are you going to use, if any at all.

I've been gathering 6.5G parts for a budget build. The list so far.

Alexander Arms 24" 1-9 Over Watch barrel with AA bolt with LMT bolt carrier
AA upper
WCI "pepper pot" muzzle brake
MI SS series 15" floated hand guard
Paladin Machine adjustable gas block
Gas buster

Lower

Aero Precision 7075 forged lower modified to use set screws to retain all springs/plungers
Modified RRA two stage
Bad ass ambi safety
Arredondo mag release

Atlas bi pod
Accu-shot mono pod
Warne QD rings
20moa raiser

I may press a 5-15X56 in to service until I can find the right glass. Other than the Accu-shot stuff I have about $800 in this with half being trades. I still need to find a good deal on a PRS. Still need brass and dies.

Post pic's when your completed.

Well work for ammo

I just got the Mega lower today. Got the PRI gas buster handle also. Got the best part from every other category, I figured why go cheap on the charging handle.

Updated with pics of progress. Got the lower assembled. just waiting on a few parts for the upper and she'll be done. Also got some Badger rings for the scope thats going on it.

When i was at the shop to take possession of the lower a guy asked to see it. He checked it over for a quick second and then asserted with authority "you should have gotten a Spikes Tactical lower. They are far superior to the off brand lowers like that one" At first I was like
mad.gif
but then i was like "yeah okay buddy". People these days.

While its obviously not on par with Spikes (ha), this lower is beautiful. Im very pleased with it. Worth every cent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel is about 12 inches too long </div></div>

Not all rifles built on the AR15 platform are for room clearing.

wink.gif

That build looks good. Have you considered using a Mega Arms Monolithic upper? It would match the lower and give you better flexibility and a more rigid platform.

Im stuck on the side charger. I've already got everything done on the build except the barrel and handguard.

Then of course ill need to add things like glasss, rings, bipod, and monopod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im stuck on the side charger. I've already got everything done on the build except the barrel and handguard.

Then of course ill need to add things like glasss, rings, bipod, and monopod. </div></div>

I wish I would have gone with a side charging upper. On my 6.5 build. I have always hted the charging handles on AR 15s

Alexander Arms Entry Upper
Composite free float tube
19.5" 1:8 Shilen Match Barrel with thread protector
Chip McCormick trigger
Magpul PRS stock
DPMS Panther Tactical grips
DPMS lower
34mm Aadmount (modified to 35mm)
IOR 3.5-18x50 FFP
PRI Gas Buster w/ big latch charging handle

She's gonna be a heavy mofo, but with the A2 stock, it's just too front heavy and horribly unbalanced, so I decided to add the PRS stock to even it out some.

I'm still waiting on my PRS and Aadmount. Will post pics when done.

Hornady did their load testing with a 14.5" barrel for the 8th edition of their manual. They sent me the hand written load data when I asked for it the day before the 8th edition (which includes 6.5 Grendel) was released.

You can check out the hand load data for the 123 Amax here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Updated with pics of progress. Got the lower assembled. just waiting on a few parts for the upper and she'll be done. Also got some Badger rings for the scope thats going on it.

When i was at the shop to take possession of the lower a guy asked to see it. He checked it over for a quick second and then asserted with authority "you should have gotten a Spikes Tactical lower. They are far superior to the off brand lowers like that one" At first I was like
mad.gif
but then i was like "yeah okay buddy". People these days.

While its obviously not on par with Spikes (ha), this lower is beautiful. Im very pleased with it. Worth every cent. </div></div>

In general, AR parts are AR parts are AR parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In general, AR parts are AR parts are AR parts. </div></div>

ha. Maybe some parts (gas tubes, buffer tubes, buffers, and springs). But the Geiselle Match trigger is the best I've ever pulled and definitely much better than the DPMS trigger that came with my parts kit. The PRS stock is much more comfortable after I adjust it for my LOP than a CAR or collapsible stock is. The Mega lower is billet and matches my billet upper much better than a forged lower. Also I have money to blow on it and I like it. Im very happy with this lower and you arent going to convince me a spikes 80 dollar lower is better than it. Maybe I sounded arrogant in my first post about it, but that wasnt intentional. I got a product that I really like, and im really happy with it. I dont like the Spikes, so the Mega is much nicer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady has their listed info as 2350 with the 123 Amax and a 14.5" barrel. </div></div>

Interesting stuff. I like the 24".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ha. Maybe some parts (gas tubes, buffer tubes, buffers, and springs). But the Geiselle Match trigger is the best I've ever pulled and definitely much better than the DPMS trigger that came with my parts kit. The PRS stock is much more comfortable after I adjust it for my LOP than a CAR or collapsible stock is. The Mega lower is billet and matches my billet upper much better than a forged lower. Also I have money to blow on it and I like it. Im very happy with this lower and you arent going to convince me a spikes 80 dollar lower is better than it. Maybe I sounded arrogant in my first post about it, but that wasnt intentional. I got a product that I really like, and im really happy with it. I dont like the Spikes, so the Mega is much nicer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady has their listed info as 2350 with the 123 Amax and a 14.5" barrel. </div></div>

Interesting stuff. I like the 24". </div></div>

Did you miss the "in general" in my statement? I didn't mean to state that specialized parts aren't better than your average standard parts, but what I mean to suggest is that a DPMS lower is the same as a RRA lower is the same as a Doublestar lower is the same as Bushmaster lower. All of he parts you listed are specialized, not milspec. Of course the PRS is more comfortable than you average old A2, and of course your $250 Gisselle trigger is better than the $15 milspec trigger. What I'm saying is that unless you have a custom AR (which you do - as do I), it is just the same as any other AR on the market more or less.

I wish that I would have gone with the billet upper and side charging bolt. I hate the standard placement of the AR charging handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Interesting stuff. I like the 24". </div></div>

Did you miss the "in general" in my statement? I didn't mean to state that specialized parts aren't better than your average standard parts, but what I mean to suggest is that a DPMS lower is the same as a RRA lower is the same as a Doublestar lower is the same as Bushmaster lower. All of he parts you listed are specialized, not milspec. Of course the PRS is more comfortable than you average old A2, and of course your $250 Gisselle trigger is better than the $15 milspec trigger. What I'm saying is that unless you have a custom AR (which you do - as do I), it is just the same as any other AR on the market more or less.

I wish that I would have gone with the billet upper and side charging bolt. I hate the standard placement of the AR charging handle. </div></div>

Oh well yeah the forged lowers are all the same, the roll marks are just different.

This is for the billet upper though, so i got a billet lower to match up with it well.

The billet side charging upper is BADASS! i love it.

I have a couple of different Grendels, with 18 inch and 19.5 inch barrels. You will love your rifle when it is done. I had a 24 inch Grendel, but converted to shorter barrels for practical rifle matches as I do more of that than 600/1000 yard shooting. The 24 inch barrel will be superb at longer ranges, and will allow you to get more velocity with less pressure problems to get that velocity.

It will be a really sweet rifle when you are done with the build.

Excited for you as well, I've wanted an AR chambered in 6.5 ever since I first found out/read about it a few years back. Have a couple questions though, if you guys don't mind.

1) "While its obviously not on par with Spikes" was this sarcasm directed towards the guy from the shop, or are there actual advantages to the Spikes lower?

2) Is the side charging handle just a matter of preference, or are there specific reasons to have one? And why the PRI Gasbuster over the BCM Gunfighter?

Congrats on the build, looking forward to the rest of the pictures, can't wait to build one of my own one of these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excited for you as well, I've wanted an AR chambered in 6.5 ever since I first found out/read about it a few years back. Have a couple questions though, if you guys don't mind.

1) "While its obviously not on par with Spikes" was this sarcasm directed towards the guy from the shop, or are there actual advantages to the Spikes lower?

2) Is the side charging handle just a matter of preference, or are there specific reasons to have one? And why the PRI Gasbuster over the BCM Gunfighter?
</div></div>

Thanks for the comments, im really excited too.

1.) The Spikes lower is the same as any other forged lower. There's nothing wrong with it, and also nothing magical about it. With a forged upper, it would look and work fine. The guys at this particular shop are all uneducated and not really AR savvy. All they know is the owner of the shop told them Spikes is the best. Mega made the upper I used, so I chose to use the Mega lower so it would match. A forged lower wont match a billet upper very well. Billet lowers are also machined, so they can add all kinds of features (like the integrated trigger guard) and the billet lowers look MUCH better. IMO at least

2.) The PRI gas buster is ported to direct extra gas out of your face. Sometimes with regular charging handles you'd get a puff of gas to the face.

congrats on your Grendel build--you went all-out with all but the YHM handguard?? I've traded 2 off because they shot loose also but maybe it will work ok for a 24"--I have several Grendels
--my 24" is a Satern bbl on a Mega lower and MUR upper and the remainder is much like your build except for the side-charger--
may try that on my current Sun Devil upper/Larue lower--really like the Young NM bolt carriers--can't wait to see your final pics

Rtgfi,

Nice build hope you post more pics soon.

Also, I'm interested in how you like the side charging handle.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Kellog,

The reason I would like a side charging handle is I have kind of large hands. Putting a scope on the upper and trying to reach between it and the rifle is a bit awkward. I tried putting a tactical latch on my charging handle so I could pull it back from the side proved not to work so well. I end up yanking it back off to the right. So, sometimes it jams before getting all the way back. Not jam-jams but won't go back smoothly all the way, and yanks the rifle around.</span>