• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cronus BTR--Razor Gen 2--Toric 4.5-30

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
All are within the same price range now and appear to have the same optical design. Which do you buy and why?
I can't decide since I don't have all 3 before me. Will be used mostly targets and some game identification/hunting.
Which has the least amount of distortion at their lowest magnification? Eyebox forgiveness, FOV etc. I know all three track well and the Razor and Toric have the better turrets, so this is mostly an optical performance question.
There are reviews of the Toric 4.5-30 on Youtube, but nothing detailed about glass quality/image unfortunately. Most reviews just show somebody shooting targets. Not very informative. I can do that with a Bushnell Banner. Haha
I'd like to get the Cronus right now and not have to wait at least 4 weeks for the other two. Worth the wait? Black fly season is soon approaching and my Bergara is naked and shivering.

Last edited:
The Cronus can be had for a good bit cheaper than the Razor. I've owned and like both a lot. The Razor has better turrets. The glass is very close. I don't know if I can tell a difference. The Razor may have a slight edge to me but I got back and forth. Both perform well a low mag through the upper range for me. I don't know anything about the Toric so I can't help you there.

I have two Cronus BTRs. I’m a big fan of the reticle with the floating crosshair. No complaints with the scopes. I’ve looked side by side and shot an identical rifle with a Razor Gen2 and couldn’t tell a difference optically.

I do like the locking turret and feel of the razor better but I think the adjustments on the Cronus BTR are acceptable.

Ive owned both the Cronus BTR and the Razor Gen II 4.5-27. The Cronus can be had for quite a bit less, but I like the Razor better because of FOV, eyebox, reticle, turrets and glass (slightly). I will say that both are a sample of 1. Both have tracked perfectly.

The Razor is a more refined scope easily. It's supposed to be though. It was a $2500 scope by design years ago, and the Cronus was designed for the 1500ish market. Ive not seen a Tract Toric. Most of my time has been with Bushnell, Athlon, and Vortex. The vortex is more refined with the feel of turrets, the tolerances for the machining on the locking turret is better as well. I know the Bushnell isn't mentioned, but just for reference of why I think highly of the Razor gen ii. I like the rev indicator as well. It's nicer than lines.

The downside imo is the LTEC zero system. It's just different and was a bit of a learning curve but not bad at all. It will get you a better zero though.

The Cronus is made by LOW in Japan. Athlon has excellent quality control which is why you do not see endless posts about how great their warranty is because they have very little issues with their products. It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you if you'd like
Doug
516-217-1000

Last edited:
The Cronus is made BTW LOW in Japan. Athlon has excellent quality control which is why you do not see endless posts about how great their warranty is because they have very little issues with their products. It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you if you'd like
Doug
516-217-1000
With all due respect, I would also think the ownership of Vortex vs Athlon would play a part in this as well.

The Cronus can be had for a good bit cheaper than the Razor. I've owned and like both a lot. The Razor has better turrets. The glass is very close. I don't know if I can tell a difference. The Razor may have a slight edge to me but I got back and forth. Both perform well a low mag through the upper range for me. I don't know anything about the Toric so I can't help you there.
For Athlon Cronos: To improve the tactile click in the turret, remove the turret cap, there is a o ring around the stem, gently remove that o ring and reinstall the turret cap. The tactile click is going to be much crisper. This trick was directly from the Athlon service team, and it works great on my 2.

Athlon Cronus = 35.8oz
Tract Toric 56 = 41.5oz
Vortex Razor G2 = 48.5oz

I think weight, turret feel and reticle are likely the biggest differences between these scopes. Optically they're supposedly pretty similar.

They do go up about ~7oz and ~$150 at each step, ha.

Reactions: army_eod
Athlon Cronus = 35.8oz
Tract Toric 56 = 41.5oz
Vortex Razor G2 = 48.5oz

I think weight, turret feel and reticle are likely the biggest differences between these scopes. Optically they're supposedly pretty similar.

They do go up about ~7oz and ~$150 at each step, ha.

If you call around some Hide Vendors you'd be pleasantly surprised at the street price of the Razor G2.