• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Cross Eye Dominance Fiasco

Misfit_

The Crimson Ghost
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2019
So I've been into guns pretty much all my life 33 years; just collecting and going to the range every once in a while. Normal plinking with friends and so on.

Well I've recently started to want to take my shooting more seriously and getting invested into more PRS style competition, and it has come to my attention that I maybe have a slight cross eye dominance issues, My real question here is if I want to do well in PRS should I start shooting Left handed or just wing it like I have been my whole life shooting Right handed and just closing my left eye.

I really wish I would have found this out earlier in life but I was just always taught this is how you hold a rifle and this is how its done. *thanks dad*

My wife is and my dad was in the same boat as you. It really depends how far off your eyes focus at if that makes sense. My wife across the room is about 4 feet between where her eyes are looking when she test it. They both switched to left eye and improved tremendously. My dad shot 4 years or better right handed then switched to left and improved. Try shooting left hand for a while and see how it works for you

Reactions: Misfit_
Shoot the way you are most comfortable. It will take a while to learn to be that way if you switch.

I'm also "cross eyed" but I can shoot either way, it just takes more time to set up for the opposite.

I’m fairly new to prs, less than 10 matches. I’m cross eye dominant, shoot right handed. Shooting left handed does not feel natural to me at all. My cross eye dominance is the least of my worries when it comes to prs. Does it have me at a slight misadvantage, maybe. But not enough for me to put all my focus in learning to shoot left handed. I practice left handed just enough to be able to shoot a support side stage if one comes up.

im the same and shot all PRS/NRL right handed...i did ok lol

if i was starting over, id build lefties, but by the time i really paid attention to it, i already had a bunch of right hand guns and didnt want to switch over...lefty always feels more natural and my natural point of aim is better even tho ive sent wayyyy more rounds down range right handed.

if youre even somewhat coordinated, it will probably take you less than a month to get used to lefty...with good hand/eye coordination i bet you could be comfortable in an afternoon...i can still shoot better/more comfortable lefty, im just slower because wrong side bolts

when i started shooting bows, i went lefty, and was on the podium at local 3D shoots within 6 months and there is a lot more going on there than with rifles...do anything enough reps and your body will learn how to do it

I just squint my non-dominate eye. Is it as great as not being cross eye dominant? no. I'm 30+yrs into shooting right handed with all right handed rifles and not switching.

I am right handed and left eye dominant and been shooting "PRS" style matches for 20 years and no issues. Shooting with your non dominant eye is easier than trying to train your whole body to change over to lefty. It's not a prone game where it's easy enough to just get on the other side of the rifle.

I am right handed and left eye dominant and been shooting "PRS" style matches for 20 years and no issues. Shooting with your non dominant eye is easier than trying to train your whole body to change over to lefty. It's not a prone game where it's easy enough to just get on the other side of the rifle.
Lol we’ve been going back and forth lately about a lot of things!

What do you do just close your left eye?

It’s never really been a problem it just takes me a few seconds to find the reticle is all. After doing it a couple times on the left side it’s like huh for some reason my eye is finding the reticle almost instantly that’s weird, then I’d go back to how I always shoot and try looking through both eyes open and I can see the reticle but also seeing the parallax knob.

I mean it’s not like this is combat where I need to have both eyes open to watch corners and stuff like that.

I would keep shooting right handed, and really try to practice getting behind the gun and having both eyes open. If you get serious about shooting PRS you'll also need to practice shooting opposite side/opposite eye since there are often stages where that is required, so eventually you can become ambidextrous.

I'm right handed/right eye dominant but with a month or so of practicing I was able to learn to shoot left handed/left eye and still keep my right eye open. You can force your brain to pay attention to either eye and make it temporarily dominant. Morgan's comment about natural point of aim is another good one, learning how to set up and instinct point/aim a rifle is also an important skill that's related. I'm still working on getting better pointing the rifle left handed and being exactly on target when I look into the scope.

Im cross eyed dominant also. Left handed, right eyed 🤪 I shoot pistols left, long arms, right. Theres two parts I see to this(IMHO):

1.) If you're currently comfortable and capable behind the rifle as you are now, If it's not broke, why fix it? Keep shooting right handed!

2.) It *may* be beneficial to you to switch to a left handed action if it's causing undue strain on your eyes afterwards.

Is your vision a little fuzzy/blurry after keeping your dominant eye closed while behind the rifle for awhile? If I close my right eye(dominant) and shoot with my left eye for an extended period of time(which I've done multiple times), my vision goes little hazy for a few minutes until I "equalize" again(If theres a proper medical term for that, it's beyond me).

Just something to think about. If you're not broken, don't change a thing! But, do be mindful that it could cause unnecessary strain on your eyes. For longevity purposes, I would not want to do that. I personally would MUCH rather shoot rifles with my dominant eye and be really comfortable than crossing it over to my left eye and being all kinds of F'd up.

$00.02. 🙂

Im cross eyed dominant also. Left handed, right eyed 🤪 I shoot pistols left, long arms, right. Theres two parts I see to this(IMHO):

1.) If you're currently comfortable and capable behind the rifle as you are now, If it's not broke, why fix it? Keep shooting right handed!

2.) It *may* be beneficial to you to switch to a left handed action if it's causing undue strain on your eyes afterwards.

Is your vision a little fuzzy/blurry after keeping your dominant eye closed while behind the rifle for awhile? If I close my right eye(dominant) and shoot with my left eye for an extended period of time(which I've done multiple times), my vision goes little hazy for a few minutes until I "equalize" again(If theres a proper medical term for that, it's beyond me).

Just something to think about. If you're not broken, don't change a thing! But, do be mindful that it could cause unnecessary strain on your eyes. For longevity purposes, I would not want to do that. I personally would MUCH rather shoot rifles with my dominant eye and be really comfortable than crossing it over to my left eye and being all kinds of F'd up.

$00.02. 🙂
I'm doing my first match next weekend and ill maybe try both ways. its a two day match just 2 hours away from home, im not expecting to do great or even average. just want to get a match under my belt and get the jitters over with. I honestly haven't shot behind glass that long to know if it will bug me but if it does become a problem were i get headaches or anything like that ill just think about what means more to me. only problem is money right, would just need to sell my action and stock and switch to left hand.

Shoot the match and don’t stress eye dominance. It’s one of those thing people worry too much about when there will be a dozen other thing you should be worrying about. Get your rifle set up right and go shoot.

Reactions: 37L1 and Misfit_
Shoot the match and don’t stress eye dominance. It’s one of those thing people worry too much about when there will be a dozen other thing you should be worrying about. Get your rifle set up right and go shoot.
😂 you’re absolutely right, probably should be more worried about just listening to my squad and learning how to RO when I’m not shooting an just how to stay behind the gun.

Reactions: Rob01
So I've been into guns pretty much all my life 33 years; just collecting and going to the range every once in a while. Normal plinking with friends and so on.

Well I've recently started to want to take my shooting more seriously and getting invested into more PRS style competition, and it has come to my attention that I maybe have a slight cross eye dominance issues, My real question here is if I want to do well in PRS should I start shooting Left handed or just wing it like I have been my whole life shooting Right handed and just closing my left eye.

I really wish I would have found this out earlier in life but I was just always taught this is how you hold a rifle and this is how its done. *thanks dad*
Easy fix...wear eye glasses (should be anyway) and put a small piece of translucent tape on the left lens. Doesn't need to be any bigger than 3/8's to 1/2" and place it so it occludes your vision forward when in shooting position.

If you know any clay target shotgunners...they will prob know all about this.

Or, close an eye (actually, squinting a bit will tend to force dominance to the on eye but its easy to forget to squint).

I think eye dominance is a learned behavior. Keep practicing with both eyes open until you're right eye dominant.

I did it and it worked. When I was a kid I used to hold up a pen in class and aim down it with my eyes kind of like a gun to work on my eye dominance.

Reactions: xocyrusx
I found shooting both eyes open so much easier than , tape over a eyeglass, lefty rifles etc

Both eyes open, you’ll see a ret with your left eye even though it’s your right eye seeing it.

Becomes second nature after a little bit

Reactions: ColinW
I found shooting both eyes open so much easier than , tape over a eyeglass, lefty rifles etc

Both eyes open, you’ll see a ret with your left eye even though it’s your right eye seeing it.

Becomes second nature after a little bit
Eh, not my experience. I see the reticle in the right eye and the parallax turret in my left and they are overlayed into a single picture.

Eh, not my experience. I see the reticle in the right eye and the parallax turret in my left and they are overlayed into a single picture.
That stinks.
I kind of go into a stupid stare and it takes care of itself

Reactions: Baron23
That stinks.
I kind of go into a stupid stare and it takes care of itself
Yeah, That’s the thing…everybody’s eyes, and the brain that they are wired to, are different so it’s hard to give blanket recommendations.

Me..I shot NSSA skeet for a very long time (and not very well, I might add lol) and had to accept a small occluder on my left lens many moons ago. And yes, I hated it at first. But it was needed and I don’t even notice when used.

I’m glad you found a way around your eye dom issue.

Best of luck and cheers

Reactions: brianf
You will never overcome your eye dominance just with how many daily reps youre getting, just by conducting daily activities. With pistol its just too easy to conduct your draw stroke and bring the pistol up into your left eye dominant line of sight. But for rifle it presents some issues obviously. I would only recommend switching if youre a new shooter. I would attempt to shoot a few little practice stages lefty. If it doesnt feel completely foreign to you then switch. If its absolutely just awful, keep doing what youre doing. Right shoulder right eye, but left eye dominant.

I think eye dominance is a learned behavior. Keep practicing with both eyes open until you're right eye dominant.
Agree 100% here. I have an eye disease called keratoconus which damaged my eyes and the left being the better of the 2. I was right handed right eye dominant and to stay in the game and push my self I switched to left hand left eye dominant. My Brian trained my left eye to be dominant after the damage was done.

Reactions: Gil P.
Learn to shoot with both eyes open. Having your dominant eye closed is a stressor and affects your subconscious which can make for all kinds of problems on top of your vision.

Try keeping the dominant eye 1/3-1/2 open to start. It will help train your brain to stay with the weak eye even when the dominant eye has light coming through. You can practice it anywhere and don’t have to be looking through a scope. Try it right now. Close your dominant eye and consciously look through the other eye. Slowly open the dominant eye about 1/2 way but keep using the weak eye. Keep opening the dom eye and you’ll feel when your brain reverts back to that side. Close it and do it again. Work your way up to being able to open/close the dom eye over and over while only observing what the weak eye is seeing.

Another note- When I was figuring this out I noticed it was really helpful to not be hyper focused on a single point like I’d be if my eye was following a laser pointer on a wall. I look at the whole picture like I would if I was watching TV. Think of it as “observing” rather than “looking” if that makes sense. If hyper focus on a single point, your brain is prob going to want to revert back to your dominant eye.
The observing rather than looking concept turned out to be a huge part of my mental game, which IMO is one of the forgotten fundamentals. But I won’t extend this already over extended post lol.

Reactions: 308pirate
Cool. Now I can blame my subconscious when I screw up a stage. LOL

Place a small strip of translucent tape on your shooting glasses right over the iris of the left eye and keep both of them open.

Over time this will help you shoot with both eyes open without the mask over the strong eye. It did help me get over closing my left eye when shooting clays with a shotgun.

Another note- When I was figuring this out I noticed it was really helpful to not be hyper focused on a single point like I’d be if my eye was following a laser pointer on a wall. I look at the whole picture like I would if I was watching TV. Think of it as “observing” rather than “looking” if that makes sense. If hyper focus on a single point, your brain is prob going to want to revert back to your dominant eye.
The observing rather than looking concept turned out to be a huge part of my mental game, which IMO is one of the forgotten fundamentals. But I won’t extend this already over extended post lol.

This technique of observing instead of looking is also very powerful to learn how to shoot a handgun with a reflex sight.

Once you learn how to do it, the speed at which you can shoot is unbelievable provided your grip and trigger control are there.

I'm cross dominant as well and totally gave up on trying to shoot left handed.
I could not get comfortable and was clumsy as hell!
Funny enough I taught myself to shoot bow left handed without too much trouble. So it is possible to switch.

Agree 100% here. I have an eye disease called keratoconus which damaged my eyes and the left being the better of the 2. I was right handed right eye dominant and to stay in the game and push my self I switched to left hand left eye dominant. My Brian trained my left eye to be dominant after the damage was done.I
I'm sorta in the same boat. My right eye is clouded over and I can't see the scope much less thru it.

Left handed is backwards and upside down for this right handed guy.

Shot a MARS match yesterday and while I sucked out loud, I didn't suck much worse than I had right handed. ...but it took thinking about how to manage to get the rifle, bags, and myself into position to shoot stages.

I still shoot pistols right handed with my left eye. It's not so bad once you get used to it.

M

I’m with you. you have two eyes, you use them both the same at the same time. Eye dominance is just a problem that people create themselves IMO.

I was taught to close my left eye as a kid. I eventually started to shoot with both eyes open, though it’s really situational, because I shoot both ways at times (both open/one closed.) If I’m shooting, right handed my right eye, is the “dominant” eye. When I shoot left handed, it’s the left. My biggest hitch in pistol shooting became that I would switch back and forth between eyes in the middle of things, like in competition, switching in the middle of a stage after a reload or a transition. It wasn’t really a problem, other than when I would realize it my brain would put the brakes on in a way. I am now thinking about that instead of what I should be thinking about.

The dominant eye tests you do with your hands don’t really work for me, I don’t have a natural side now, it’s ends up being whichever side I decide before I raise my hands. (If I don’t, I end up right in the middle with neither eye seeing the target lol)

Reactions: Gil P.
I used to practice left hand shooting, with both eyes open and using the left eye as the dominant eye too. I had a similar experience. Maybe i could have mastered switching eyes without issue, but I didn't put the time in to practice long enough. Iirc, Rob Leatham said he can do it. Don't quote me on that though, I may be misremembering.

Best I can tell my eye dominance came from having a bad right eye

I went to the take my driving test and when they switched to my right eye, I couldn’t read a single line…I told the lady the machine was broke…she doubled checked it, nope, my right was useless

I went to the eye doc and they confirmed…I asked how my right eye was so bad, but I didn’t have issues seeing things…could read the board in classes at the time, could read street signs…doc said I was just using my left for who knows how long

Getting the right eye corrected threw off my depth perception so bad it took me a couple days of practice to hit a golf ball again and shoot a Bball consistently…hit every golf shot fat and clanged back rim every shot until I got used to how things looked

I can close/squint my left eye and force my right to take over, but even with lasik now, it’s still not as good at focusing as my left and I get a double image some…if I open my left eye while on the scope without closing it, I don’t even see thru the scope, I just see the parallax turret down the left side

I am right handed, right eye dominate and have shot my whole life right handed. I have since had three surgeries on my right eye and don't see nearly as well out of it. So two PRS seasons ago I just started training to shoot left handed. After three or four matches it felt very natural to me and now I don't even think about it. It isn't that difficult to shoot PRS with your off hand with some training!

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I've learned to shoot my RPR with the left eye. It'd weird, but one gets used to it.

People definitely don't create it themselves but they do put way too much emphasis on it as something to worry about when shooting. LOL Great for internet posts though.

People definitely don't create it themselves but they do put way too much emphasis on it as something to worry about when shooting. LOL Great for internet posts though.
Next, let's do pulse checks and breathing.

I don’t really see a lot of emphasis put on it but being very left eye dominant while shooting a rifle right handed can make long range/precision shooting more difficult for sure. Ask me how I know. For a newer shooter or someone who doesn’t even know cross dominance is a thing it can be helpful to know how to go about recognizing/addressing it.
Once I trained my brain to process the picture from my right eye while my left eye was open everything got easier. If someone would have told me a good way to do this vs me figuring it out it would have saved me some time and headache for sure.

I don’t really see a lot of emphasis put on it but being very left eye dominant while shooting a rifle right handed can make long range/precision shooting more difficult for sure. Ask me how I know. For a newer shooter or someone who doesn’t even know cross dominance is a thing it can be helpful to know how to go about recognizing/addressing it.
Once I trained my brain to process the picture from my right eye while my left eye was open everything got easier. If someone would have told me a good way to do this vs me figuring it out it would have saved me some time and headache for sure.

Glad it worked out for you. I got no problem being left eye dominant and shutting my left eye to shoot with my right. Been doing it a long time. Problem is sometimes discussions like this make newer people think they have to sell all their gear and go lefty if they are left eye dominant. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Glad it worked out for you. I got no problem being left eye dominant and shutting my left eye to shoot with my right. Been doing it a long time. Problem is sometimes discussions like this make newer people think they have to sell all their gear and go lefty if they are left eye dominant. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
For sure, I’d never recommend someone go weak sided due to eye dominance. Dominance can vary wildly from person to person so something that doesn’t make a difference to you can still make a difference to someone else. I feel like explaining how to easily train the weak eye is a good way to keep guys from thinking they need to go weak sided. Calling it a nonissue isn’t going to help them if they’re having trouble with it.

For sure, I’d never recommend someone go weak sided due to eye dominance. Dominance can vary wildly from person to person so something that doesn’t make a difference to you can still make a difference to someone else. I feel like explaining how to easily train the weak eye is a good way to keep guys from thinking they need to go weak sided. Calling it a nonissue isn’t going to help them if they’re having trouble with it.

If someone has a medical issue or some issue where they can't just shut their eye and shoot then yes they should get some ideas on how to work with it but with the post by the OP it's one where the whole "got to be tactical clearing houses" and keep both eyes open mindset starts messing with him. You do not need to keep both eyes open to shoot PRS matches. It doesn't hurt anything but if you can close your weak eye then you will be fine too. That is what also needs to be put across. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

Reactions: 37L1
If someone has a medical issue or some issue where they can't just shut their eye and shoot then yes they should get some ideas on how to work with it but with the post by the OP it's one where the whole "got to be tactical clearing houses" and keep both eyes open mindset starts messing with him. You do not need to keep both eyes open to shoot PRS matches. It doesn't hurt anything but if you can close your weak eye then you will be fine too. That is what also needs to be put across. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

Lol who’s talking about tactically clearing houses in long range? I think the OP actually eluded to the opposite of that but I didn’t read the whole thread so maybe I missed something.
783EFB63-BEC0-4561-8678-335B453C9197.jpeg

I believe we’re in agreement that neither going weak sided or applying house clearing techniques are good answers to cross dominance, so we’re good there. My reply to you was on your saying that cross dominance is largely a non issue and just makes for good internet posts. I’m here to tell you it can definitely be an issue, I can attest to it. If I would have accepted that my only option was closing my dominant eye and living with it I’d be much less of a shooter than I am now. It’s great that you can just close an eye and roll with it, that’s the easiest option. But eye dominance varies wildly from person to person so that’s not going to work for everyone.

Lol who’s talking about tactically clearing houses in long range? I think the OP actually eluded to the opposite of that but I didn’t read the whole thread so maybe I missed something.
View attachment 8081369

I believe we’re in agreement that neither going weak sided or applying house clearing techniques are good answers to cross dominance, so we’re good there. My reply to you was on your saying that cross dominance is largely a non issue and just makes for good internet posts. I’m here to tell you it can definitely be an issue, I can attest to it. If I would have accepted that my only option was closing my dominant eye and living with it I’d be much less of a shooter than I am now. It’s great that you can just close an eye and roll with it, that’s the easiest option. But eye dominance varies wildly from person to person so that’s not going to work for everyone.

LOL That whole tactical eyes open thing comes up every time eye dominance is mentioned. Every time! Someone will come in and say you need them both open. You don’t obviously so was said to those who think that.

As I said it can be an issue due to medical or other issue but a lot of times it is as simple as shutting the eye but the internet makes more of it like above in saying you have to to be tactical. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule but having been on this site almost 22 years I have seen this come up over and over and over. Some don't think of the simple answer of closing the eye so it should be mentioned. Some think that they are doing it wrong if they do close the eye because they read somewhere on the internet they had to keep both eyes open. It's groundhog day.

LOL That whole tactical eyes open thing comes up every time eye dominance is mentioned. Every time! Someone will come in and say you need them both open. You don’t obviously so was said to those who think that.

As I said it can be an issue due to medical or other issue but a lot of times it is as simple as shutting the eye but the internet makes more of it like above in saying you have to to be tactical. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule but having been on this site almost 22 years I have seen this come up over and over and over. Some don't think of the simple answer of closing the eye so it should be mentioned. Some think that they are doing it wrong if they do close the eye because they read somewhere on the internet they had to keep both eyes open. It's groundhog day.
Doesn’t everyone start by closing one eye? Isn’t having their dominant eye closed the actual thing that’s causing them problems and bringing them here to make threads about it? Maybe I’m missing something. My suggestion to keep both eyes open does’t have anything to do with being tactical. As I explained in my original post, it’s a way for cross dominant people to learn to use their weaker eye while not causing stress response in their brain/subconscious. For a long time I just closed my left eye and didn’t really grasp the problems it was causing until realized how dominant that eye was and figured out a way to deal with it. I always felt like I was struggling to look through the scope hard enough to see what I needed to see. This is hilarious but it’s a perfect illustration of what it felt like behind the rifle with my left eye closed lol. I’d guess some cross dominant people can relate.
92CB37EC-F3F8-460E-8430-7E1ED99C620E.jpeg

And it’s not just about vision. My right eye is 20/20 so it can “see” fine. But my brain strongly prefers my left for whatever reason. Closing my left eye made me feel disconnected/out of sorts behind the rifle 90% of the time and both eyes would fatigue pretty easily. Learning to keep both eyes open while processing the picture from my right eye fixed all of that. And it was fairly easy to do. It isn’t anything about being tactical or clearing houses. It’s just how the brain works/changes for some people when the dominant eye is closed.

Doesn’t everyone start by closing one eye? Isn’t having their dominant eye closed the actual thing that’s causing them problems and bringing them here to make threads about it? Maybe I’m missing something. My suggestion to keep both eyes open does’t have anything to do with being tactical. As I explained in my original post, it’s a way for cross dominant people to learn to use their weaker eye while not causing stress response in their brain/subconscious. For a long time I just closed my left eye and didn’t really grasp the problems it was causing until realized how dominant that eye was and figured out a way to deal with it. I always felt like I was struggling to look through the scope hard enough to see what I needed to see. This is hilarious but it’s a perfect illustration of what it felt like behind the rifle with my left eye closed lol. I’d guess some cross dominant people can relate.
View attachment 8081978

And it’s not just about vision. My right eye is 20/20 so it can “see” fine. But my brain strongly prefers my left for whatever reason. Closing my left eye made me feel disconnected/out of sorts behind the rifle 90% of the time and both eyes would fatigue pretty easily. Learning to keep both eyes open while processing the picture from my right eye fixed all of that. And it was fairly easy to do. It isn’t anything about being tactical or clearing houses. It’s just how the brain works/changes for some people when the dominant eye is closed.

Dude I get it. You can't do close the left and others can't either. Closing is the first thing to try and some don't think of it so why I said it. I mentioned the tactical house clearing BS because it always comes up when this topic gets brought up. Someone comes in and says that is why you need both eyes open to be more cognisant of your surroundings like the barricasde will come up and round house you. LOL Not because you were saying keep both open for that reason. Can we get past that now?

View attachment 8081978

Eye dominance and cross doMina ve issues are real. Just talk to anybody in the clay target sports wher their on eye is the rear sight.

Woman…on average…80% are crossed.

There are ways around it and which one suit depends on your eyes ( they are all slightly different ). It’s a big subject and if on eye dominance is an issue in shotgunning it must be addressed.

Scoped rifles, either patch the off eye lens w tape or just close it.

Eye dominance and cross doMina ve issues are real. Just talk to anybody in the clay target sports wher their on eye is the rear sight.

Woman…on average…80% are crossed.

There are ways around it and which one suit depends on your eyes ( they are all slightly different ). It’s a big subject and if on eye dominance is an issue in shotgunning it must be addressed.

Scoped rifles, either patch the off eye lens w tape or just close it.
Let the record reflect you said women are 80% crossed, not me 😂.

• Haha