• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cross fit $$$$$$$$$$$$

cross fit $$$$$$$$$$$$

I can't stand how crossfitters through form out completely out in favor of some stupid time. A kipping pull up is not a pull up! It's half-assing a pull up.

Before ripping it, try researching. Simply regurgitating the same crossfit hater rant displays a level of ignorance about the subject.....it does make me laugh though.

Before ripping it, try researching. Simply regurgitating the same crossfit hater rant displays a level of ignorance about the subject.....it does make me laugh though.

What do I need to research...I've taken a class and saw it. Kipping is half ass.

Crossfit gyms are actually the only places I see that consistently push for perfect form throughout a lift. The people who only care about their time are the same people in "globo-gyms" that will half rep a bench press to claim they have a higher max.

I don't time my WODs anymore. I don't want it ever get into the mentality of sacrificing form for a better time. However I know that I can push myself to the best of my ability and not quit on myself.

Ive been doing Crossfit over a year now. I got bored with regular workout routines. I thought kipping was b.s. too when I started. I can do 17-20 strict pull-ups. If you have a workout with 90 pull ups u have to kip. I still do both but I loved weighted pull ups the best. I weight 165 and can do about 7 pull ups with 75lbs now. I think Crossfit is way over priced. My box is $150 a month and the trainers suck. Im ready to bounce after my year is up. Like it was said its great that you can lift heavy there and drop weights. The social atmosphere is the big attraction. At 42 its tough to hang with 22 yr olds. I can hold my own still.

cross fit $$$$$$$$$$$$

What do I need to research...I've taken a class and saw it. Kipping is half ass.

One class makes one an expert ..... Sweet!

I've never taken a class so I guess I am not as enlightened as you. I have my own equipment. Kipping is one type of several different pull-ups.....as part of a metcon not a strength component. There are strength components in addition to metcon WODs. They do weighted pull-ups, strict L-pull-ups, and strict dead hangs as well. With respect to your pull-up comment , I can still do 26 strict dead hangs, weighted pull-ups with 110# for 6/4 times, and 18 strict L-pull-ups.....and I'm 40 so I guess all that half a$$ing I do has made me weak.

Last edited:
So very true, but don't forget one thing that you cant buy and a lot of people don't truly have... real motivation, drive , and dedication

^^^^ This.

Like Indocs, you either have the motivation...or not. Feeling 100% has nothing to do with it; discipline and commitment is everything.

I was out picking rock by hand the other day and before that moving some tractor tires around by hand. People pay for this sort of thing? Tell you what. I will pay you to come do it for me. The faster you pick the rock, the better workout you get.

I do the poor man's Cross-fit...actual manual labor. I do see the benefits of it but would never pay the $120 a month it is around here. My summer months are filled with long days of pavers, retaining wall blocks, and sod switching to the gym for the winter to keep the weight off. If you really want to do Cross-fit, you can come work for me and I'll pay ya!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Crazy to pay that much to workout. It is a fun way to do it and it works.

How do you know if someone does cross fit? They will tell you.

Last edited:
Crossfit is a lot like Scientology, you have to pay your way in, and imo it is way too expensive. Many of the trainers at my local crossfit basically paid a ton of money to go to a one day class to be a "trainer". I know crossfit takes a lot of crap because of their lack of form and cheater reps, and I would agree that you are more likely to get an injury. But when done correctly you can't deny that you get definite results, the workouts are pretty tough (although I just couldn't do those stupid pull ups when I went, they are absolutely ridiculous looking). Some people need the motivation and family/cult atmosphere to keep going through their workouts and I have no problem with that, better than sitting at home feeding their face! Also, I have a lot of respect for the guys and girls doing legit oly lifts, there is no question a lot of them are true athletes.

I found out Crossfit is a lot like reverse fight club. Because the first rule of Crossfit is to never shut the fuk up about it.

I found out Crossfit is a lot like reverse fight club. Because the first rule of Crossfit is to never shut the fuk up about it.

I crossfit and I still think thats funny as hell!

I hit my local box at least 3 times a week, more if I can make it. Luckily, my box is one of the least expensive that I know of and it works out to about $6 per visit. I don't think thats bad and I don't personally believe you can beat the workouts in crossfit. ymmv

Now that I'm not working 7 day weeks, I started experimenting with doing Crossfit twice a day - 7am and 6pm. Big mistake. My mid-40s body cannot recover fast enough from two sessions a day. It's one thing to feel sore, but another to feel like your muscles are breaking down. Even 5 days a week is a challenge and I leave every session completely smoked. It makes me feel like a PV2 arriving to my first unit after jump school...

Now that I'm not working 7 day weeks, I started experimenting with doing Crossfit twice a day - 7am and 6pm. Big mistake. My mid-40s body cannot recover fast enough from two sessions a day. It's one thing to feel sore, but another to feel like your muscles are breaking down. Even 5 days a week is a challenge and I leave every session completely smoked. It makes me feel like a PV2 arriving to my first unit after jump school...

Dude your freaking insane! Seriously you must be addicted to pain or something. LOL.. I totally pulled the shit out of my arms overdoing it on Kippings, never again.…gahhh...

It's because I joined the Army in the "Be all you can be" era ;)

Probably more appropriate for the motivational pic thread, but what the hell...

ThefirstruleofCrossfit-65798.jpg

It's not illegal to workout at home.....and it's free! Crossfit haters.....make me laugh.

Be careful; I have a friend in the hospital right now, recovering from a massive heart attack from over doing it with cross fit. The guy was in exceptional shape. Now, he's just being let out of a medically induced coma (5 days later), and awaiting him to regain some strength before they put a pace maker in. His cross fit days (I'd imagine) are over. Permanently.

If you're not careful, you can seriously fuck yourself up doing cross fit, so beware. As we used to say "A sucking chest wound is God's way of telling you to slow down."; you have to listen to your body carefully to when it REALLY is trying to tell you its had enough, versus the normal "pain is weakness leaving the body" fatigue.

Pros and cons of crossfit:

Pros
Gets people motivated to get off their ass and move around
Group settings for reinforced motivation
Says how it trains all the systems of training combined into one. 98% of people who step in a gym dont know what they are trying to accomplish.
Claims that you would be much better doing crossfit compared to traditional training.
Crossfit events tend to pack a full house audience. Look at crossfit comp vs powerlifting for instance.
Crossfit women tend to be sexy looking.

Cons
Crossfit is the new term for circuit training. Just with marketing behind it
Membership fees are ridiculous for no dam reason
Certified crossfit trainers ( two day course to become certified) are certified to teach you bullshit. Most fit guys who go into crossfit came from a traditional training first.
Groups settings. Are you that weak minded that you need confirmation from other people?
Claims to produce the fittest people. No scientific data to prove anything over traditional training, but their is a ton of science to back up traditional training. Biathlon athletes are the fittest guys around Without crossfit.
Founder of crossfit is a fat guy. And a fraud.
Crossfit is a new way of circuit training but with big marketing to get your money.
No sense of progression
To many injuries.
Olympic lifts done for time. Complete crap form. If it worked Olympic lifters would train like this but they don't cause once again its crap
Fancy names for exercises that already have a name. For instance a clean into a push press is considered a thruster in crossfit lingo. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
New Crossfit men look like sissies unless coming from traditional weight training background.
Pregnant women doing crossfit leading to higher miscarriages.
Silly men hanging their babies on their back or chest while doing crossfit as if this is cool. Once again you look stupid

The list goes one.

Last edited:

Pros
Says how it trains all the systems of training combined into one. 98% of people who step in a gym dont know what they are trying to accomplish.
Claims that you would be much better doing crossfit compared to traditional training.
Crossfit events tend to pack a full house audience. Look at crossfit comp vs powerlifting for instance.

Cons
Crossfit is the new term for circuit training. Just with marketing behind it
Membership fees are ridiculous for no dam reason
Certified crossfit trainers ( two day course to become certified) are certified to teach you bullshit. Most fit guys who go into crossfit came from a traditional training first.
Groups settings. Are you that weak minded that you need confirmation from other people?
Claims to produce the fittest people. No scientific data to prove anything over traditional training, but their is a ton of science to back up traditional training. Biathlon athletes are the fittest guys around Without crossfit.
Founder of crossfit is a fat guy. And a fraud.
Crossfit is a new way of circuit training but with big marketing to get your money.
No sense of progression
To many injuries.
Olympic lifts done for time. Complete crap form. If it worked Olympic lifters would train like this but they don't cause once again its crap
Fancy names for exercises that already have a name. For instance a clean into a push press is considered a thruster in crossfit lingo. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
New Crossfit men look like sissies unless coming from traditional weight training background.
Pregnant women doing crossfit leading to higher miscarriages.
Silly men hanging their babies on their back or chest while doing crossfit as if this is cool. Once again you look stupid

The list goes one.

Regurgitating the same old crossfit hater ignorance.........…yawn

because if you are stupid enough to need a coach to teach you how to do circuit training, and timed sets with horrible form you deserve to pay $100+ a month

seriously...these jackasses have tried to claim that they invented various olympic lifts!

im all for people getting in shape...and when they brought louie simmons on board it showed a glimmer of hope...but people dont get hurt because the workouts are soooo extreme! they are getting hurt because a good solid majority of them could do a perfect squat, deadlift, clean, or pull up to save their lives

im not saying they are all like this....but damn, if you want people to take you seriously dont have thousands of pages on youtube of people hurting themselves with olympic lifts while a "coach" is yelling "good form" at them

bench

sounds like your typical ignorant/arrogant crossfitter.....be in the olympic world for a while and learn your lifts..then come back jr

your being scammed by a failed gymnast who doesnt even workout

bench

cross fit $$$$$$$$$$$$

Droning on spewing more and more ignorance. I have my own equipment and yes crossfit "style" workouts are part of my overall workout regimen, not it entirely. I know how to lift. You don't know me or my level of fitness or my background yet you somehow believe you do. I would agree there is bad crap out there, but it's in everything, even in powerlifting. Quite easy to focus on the negative. Watching YouTube somehow makes everyone subject matter experts. Grow up, move on and go ridicule something else you have very limited knowledge of.

Last edited:
Regurgitating the same old crossfit hater ignorance.........…yawn

To hate cross fit, would mean i envy them. I dont.
Point out what wrong thing i said about crossfit please. I gave a fair analysis from my point of view.
You say you do crossfit type workouts? Dont you mean circuit training? Or is crossfit somehow reinventing the wheel?

There have been strong, athletic, fast, explosive type people breaking world records long before crossfit came along. And there will continue to be so long after crossfit fad disappears. When crossfitters start breaking world records maybe ill give some recognition. Oh wait they created their own sport to prove how "fit" they are. Face palm....

If it works for you, go for it. A buddy of mine (surgeon) cringes about this type of working out because he has way too many patients due to it.

My friends and I are all in our late 30's, most of us have played sports at very high levels (D1 football, Junior/Minor league hockey, pro football, pro baseball, etc..) and we wouldn't consider doing cleans EVER again. I'd rather focus on flexibility, diet, and functional strength. Becareful and think about long term consequences.

If it works for you, go for it. A buddy of mine (surgeon) cringes about this type of working out because he has way too many patients due to it.

My friends and I are all in our late 30's, most of us have played sports at very high levels (D1 football, Junior/Minor league hockey, pro football, pro baseball, etc..) and we wouldn't consider doing cleans EVER again. I'd rather focus on flexibility, diet, and functional strength. Becareful and think about long term consequences.

Monmouth why do you say that you would never consider doing clean's again? I do find that Crossfit style workouts can cause sloppy form on Olympic Lifts which can induce injury. But clean's in a normal rep range I don't see as an issue / dangerous.

To hate cross fit, would mean i envy them. I dont.
Point out what wrong thing i said about crossfit please. I gave a fair analysis from my point of view.
You say you do crossfit type workouts? Dont you mean circuit training? Or is crossfit somehow reinventing the wheel?

There have been strong, athletic, fast, explosive type people breaking world records long before crossfit came along. And there will continue to be so long after crossfit fad disappears. When crossfitters start breaking world records maybe ill give some recognition. Oh wait they created their own sport to prove how "fit" they are. Face palm....

Pros

Cons
Crossfit is the new term for circuit training. Just with marketing behind it )(that can be said I guess, I never really circuit trained
Membership fees are ridiculous for no dam reason If you go to a good gym, you are getting a lot of quality coaching and one on one attention. I see value in that
Certified crossfit trainers ( two day course to become certified) are certified to teach you bullshit. Most fit guys who go into crossfit came from a traditional training first.Agree, the 2 day is just a starting point for most coaches
Groups settings. Are you that weak minded that you need confirmation from other people?Really? I guess it's a matter of opinion. I think most people prefer to work out and/or compete with their peers
Claims to produce the fittest people. No scientific data to prove anything over traditional training, but their is a ton of science to back up traditional training. Biathlon athletes are the fittest guys around Without crossfit.No, what crossfit claim is to prepare you for life through functional movements. By not specializing it prepares you far a lot more situations that a runner, swimmer, biathlete, ect. The claim I relate is that a crossfitter can do most things adequately but most athlete that specialize cannot across the same broad domain. I believe it.
Founder of crossfit is a fat guy. And a fraud.I don't care who founded it, or what he does.
Crossfit is a new way of circuit training but with big marketing to get your money.Withn what it cost, marketing wouldn't keep people there. Whatever you want to call it, it works
No sense of progressionexplin and I'll address it
To many injuries.Compared too?
Olympic lifts done for time. Complete crap form. If it worked Olympic lifters would train like this but they don't cause once again its crapI do agree that form goes out the window at times and you have to police yourself, just like you do in the life every day. Olympic lifters don't train that way because they are not concerned with speed, simply max weight moved, while rested
New Crossfit men look like sissies unless coming from traditional weight training background.Bullshit
Pregnant women doing crossfit leading to higher miscarriages.Havent researched it but I havent seen it at my gym. Maybe poor coaching, bad advice, or not very smart ladies
Silly men hanging their babies on their back or chest while doing crossfit as if this is cool. Once again you look stupidagree, never seen that in my gym either

The list goes one.

Ive been doing Crossfit over a year now. I got bored with regular workout routines. I thought kipping was b.s. too when I started. I can do 17-20 strict pull-ups. If you have a workout with 90 pull ups u have to kip. I still do both but I loved weighted pull ups the best. I weight 165 and can do about 7 pull ups with 75lbs now. I think Crossfit is way over priced. My box is $150 a month and the trainers suck. Im ready to bounce after my year is up. Like it was said its great that you can lift heavy there and drop weights. The social atmosphere is the big attraction. At 42 its tough to hang with 22 yr olds. I can hold my own still.

It's true a lot of places are severely overpriced. The only absolute conclusion I have about it is that I'm coming at crossfit from the wrong end of the cash register.

7 reps at 75# is VERY impressive bro! That's my 1 rep max. But I'm 47,and the oldest one there. I usually crush the 20 and 30 year olds in anything endurance or metcon. Swimmer, bodyweight stuff and runner primarily.

There's good and bad in everything. You could point the microscope at any fitness discipline and find either a massive vacuum or a kernel of nonsense in it.

I raised my altitude and took a hard look at it. I absorbed the good, and what works for me. If the WoD suits me, I do it. If not, I do something else consistent with my own goals. Usually a bodyweight workout involving crossfit exercises (like muscle ups), rounds on the heavy bag, a hard water con workout, swim PT, or something else from SOFWod or sealgrinderPT.

There's crossfit smart, and crossfit stupid. If you are getting injured, leave that gym. NOW. Do we all keep track of our times on particular AMRAP's? Know what our 1rd, 5rd, max is? Track our Angie, Murph, Fran, Cindy, and 30 muscle ups for time and try to beat them every time? If you have no idea where you are, you might as well be going backwards.

If you are not motivated enough to push yourself past your comfort zone, you absolutely need something like crossfit. If you are, you can cherry pick their best shit and leave your own sweat angel on the gym floor, and look at the clock through fading vision and know there's a measurable improvement.

V/R,

--Fargo007

Fargo has it 100% correct.."If you are not motivated enough to push yourself past your comfort zone, you absolutely need something like crossfit. If you are, you can cherry pick their best shit and leave your own sweat angel on the gym floor, and look at the clock through fading vision and know there's a measurable improvement."

from my experience, most people are more willing to push past the initial barriers with a crossfit type routine than having them push more weight. for some reason there is more fear of hurting oneself with heavier weight than with body weight exercises, even though poor form is the real killer.

Fargo has it 100% correct.."If you are not motivated enough to push yourself past your comfort zone, you absolutely need something like crossfit. If you are, you can cherry pick their best shit and leave your own sweat angel on the gym floor, and look at the clock through fading vision and know there's a measurable improvement."

from my experience, most people are more willing to push past the initial barriers with a crossfit type routine than having them push more weight. for some reason there is more fear of hurting oneself with heavier weight than with body weight exercises, even though poor form is the real killer.

I have no doubt for me it is easier to go hard with a group. I can do it alone but I really have the right mindset that day. As far as the "pushing more weight" I don't need to be any stronger. I more into general conditioning. I've been hurt in the Crossfit gym twice, both time I wasn't doing metcons I was actually doing strength work/ max lifts.

That's totally consistent with what I have seen. Nearly every single injury I have seen occurred with a barbell in the hands of the person who got hurt. And of those, the majority were attempting heavy (for them) lifts.

The only others were a twisted ankle from a harder than necessary landing on a knot in a climbing rope on the way down, a guy passing out on the treadmill, or a pulled shoulder muscle from a very rapid descent on rings after muscle ups.

We are a barbell heavy club because that is what the guy doing the programming enjoys the most. I tried it but I am built tall and thin like a swimmer vs an olympic lifter with a barrel chest and alligator arms. I also have a tight ligament in my wrist that interferes with the catch on heavy cleans. It just hurts. I am just fine with some heavy KB work, strict muscle ups, and weighted bodyweight movements for the strength end of what I do.

--Fargo007