• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cross fit

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Anyone here a member of a crossfit gym? Im thinking about joining one and was wandering what to expect.

Re: cross fit

I just joined a box here, I have only been 6 times but you can expect Pain... I enjoy it and it seams to work, I guess I will see. Good Luck

dont throw your money away on crossfit. i got sucked into this hole functionaly fit fad thats going around now but got out of it and into fundamental streangth training and basic cardio and proper dieting and have way better results from it. and im every bit as functionaly fit as i was when i was obsesed with that crossfit type stuff and i look way better now compared to then

To the OP - if you haven't been to http://www.crossfit.com/ then go check it out. I am guessing you already know a bit or wouldn't have asked.

Many of us on this site that also do CrossFit are Kool Aid drinkers and whole-heartedly push the program. Apparently RYNO has other goals for his personal fitness and that is fine too. CrossFit is basically a broad spectrum cross training program that works on several aspects of fitness - strength, conditioning, flexibility, etc. Any of these can be accomplished by a disciplined individual working on his own, but being part of a CrossFit "Box" gives you that "I am not alone" cameraderie that will really keep you going. The workouts are usually brief but intense.

Give it a try - if it isn't a good fit, it is no problem to move on.

if you read my post again i said i get everything i did from doing the crossfit type workouts as i do from my traditional based ruitine plus my body looks far better than it did when i was sucked into the "functionaly fit" movement (streangth, conditioning,flexability) i have friends that are crossfit shit talkers that are totaly sold on it that challenge me all the time and i allways come out on top, im even planning on doing the crossfit games here where i live to prove my point. im sure im gunna get plenty of flack for dissing crossshit but ive seen both sides and hate seeing people buy into the fad becouse i was there once myself.

Ive just heard a little about it, I have a friend who does crossfit. The past couple years ive let myself get out of shape and I want to do something about it before I fall completely off the wagon. Im a member of another gym now but I have a hard time motivating myself to go regularly. Is it better to be in decent shape before you start crossfit?

Ryno, I used to live in College Station, u go to A&M?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im a member of another gym now but I have a hard time motivating myself to go regularly. Is it better to be in decent shape before you start crossfit?</div></div>

The best way is just to start. In a competent affiliate the workouts scale to the level of the individual.

I have been doing it for 3 years and really enjoy it. I do mix it up with some steady strength training and sprinting though. Yet overall most people will make great improvements doing CrossFit.

It isn't for everyone, some love it, some hate it, but you will have to make up your own mind about it. Yes some places are a bit overzealous about their beliefs in it but overall it works really well.

naw im stuck in Laredo working now just havnt changed my profile info but when i was i didnt go to school... just a place to go back to between drilling hitches, gunna be moving back near there
before the fall this year to start school finally.

I know im pretty hard on crossfit its just a sore spot with me
becouse of how people throw it around and buy into it so much, im just outspoken on it becouse ive been on both sides of the fence. but if it keeps u active, healthy and happy by all means go for it its still far better than being a fat lazy fuck in my book.

Most folks (myself included) are prone to inertia and need some sort of motivation to move. Others are self-starters who abhor inactivity. RYNO, you sound like a self-starter who has discovered early on what works best for you. You are the exception, not the rule. For me, the guilt-based motivation of not doing as well on a WOD as my classmates, is a powerful motivator. I also like the social/community aspect of CrossFit. That being said, I am also looking at making some changes due to injury (rotator cuff tendinitis) and re-evaluating my goals. Most importantly, as you said. "but if it keeps u active, healthy and happy by all means go for it its still far better than being a fat lazy fuck in my book." That is the best reason for any exercise program.

I'm working out in a CF type gym now. I like it a lot. I think it's good for a lot of people but maybe not right for everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont throw your money away on crossfit. i got sucked into this hole functionaly fit fad thats going around now but got out of it and into fundamental streangth training and basic cardio and proper dieting and have way better results from it. and im every bit as functionaly fit as i was when i was obsesed with that crossfit type stuff and i look way better now compared to then </div></div>
thats no shit...for guys who train for fuctional strength..they arent strong at all, and for guys who train for endurance..they gas pretty quick...

crossfit= a joke for week minded people who are to weak to do strongman..

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont throw your money away on crossfit. i got sucked into this hole functionaly fit fad thats going around now but got out of it and into fundamental streangth training and basic cardio and proper dieting and have way better results from it. and im every bit as functionaly fit as i was when i was obsesed with that crossfit type stuff and i look way better now compared to then </div></div>
thats no shit...for guys who train for fuctional strength..they arent strong at all, and for guys who train for endurance..they gas pretty quick...

<span style="color: #000099">crossfit= a joke for week minded people who are to weak to do strongman..</span>
bench </div></div>

Bench-
Wow...that's a pretty strong statement....how about you post that on the crossfit website....I KNOW there are some crossfit boys down in Texas who will be willing to prove you different....here's another strong statement....Bench=Troll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont throw your money away on crossfit. i got sucked into this hole functionaly fit fad thats going around now but got out of it and into fundamental streangth training and basic cardio and proper dieting and have way better results from it. and im every bit as functionaly fit as i was when i was obsesed with that crossfit type stuff and i look way better now compared to then </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">crossfit= a joke for week minded people who are to weak to do strongman..</span>
bench </div></div>

Bench-
Wow...that's a pretty strong statement....how about you post that on the crossfit website....I KNOW there are some crossfit boys down in Texas who will be willing to prove you different....here's another strong statement....Bench=Troll. </div></div>

I'm not a big fan of crossfit, but that's obviously trolling.

I really like what crossfit is trying to do, but Glassman is an ass, and the injury section of the main crossfit forum is AWFUL. You see the same half a dozen injuries over and over again for hundreds of pages.

I still wish we had sleds and a tire and sledgehammers at my gym, but for the cost of the crossfit gym I think I'll just be saving up to buy my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont throw your money away on crossfit. i got sucked into this hole functionaly fit fad thats going around now but got out of it and into fundamental streangth training and basic cardio and proper dieting and have way better results from it. and im every bit as functionaly fit as i was when i was obsesed with that crossfit type stuff and i look way better now compared to then </div></div>

bench </div></div>

Bench-
Wow...that's a pretty strong statement....how about you post that on the crossfit website....I KNOW there are some crossfit boys down in Texas who will be willing to prove you different....here's another strong statement....Bench=Troll. </div></div>
a honest opinion is trolling now?

crossfit is just a new fitness scam....its nothing but a warm up for actual training....and so soccer moms and swimmers can have a false sense of accomplishment...hope this helps..

bench

well, I believe it's your opinion, and I may even agree with the sentiment, but when you say something like "it's a joke for weak minded people"

you're definitely trolling them(trolling them like a fish lure to respond angrily) cause most crossfitters are fanatical about crossfit, and there are quite a few of them on this site
laugh.gif

One of the funniest things I ever heard was "Crossfit is the scientology of exercising"

Sorry crossfitters I couldn't resist
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I believe it's your opinion, and I may even agree with the sentiment, but when you say something like "it's a joke for weak minded people"

you're definitely trolling them(trolling them like a fish lure to respond angrily) cause most crossfitters are fanatical about crossfit, and there are quite a few of them on this site
laugh.gif

One of the funniest things I ever heard was <span style="color: #000099">"Crossfit is the scientology of exercising"</span>Sorry crossfitters I couldn't resist
smile.gif

</div></div>

Now that is funny....and I'm even a crossfitter. CW you have a great sense of humor while keeping an open mind. Bench....you were trolling....you know it, I know it, and everyone else knew it. Your comment was inappropriate, especially after numerous prior posts noted that crossfit was not for everyone due to one or more legitimate reasons. There was nothing "honest" about your opinion; it's equivalent to me saying meatheads can't run a 13.1 because they don't have the intestinal fortitude.

I can't help it, How do you know a SEAL when you meet them???? They will tell you, along with the work out of the day.

I dont belong to a CF gym, but the work outs that I have done with CF as a base line are pretty intense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I believe it's your opinion, and I may even agree with the sentiment, but when you say something like "it's a joke for weak minded people"

laugh.gif

One of the funniest things I ever heard was <span style="color: #000099">"Crossfit is the scientology of exercising"</span>Sorry crossfitters I couldn't resist
smile.gif

</div></div>

Now that is funny....and I'm even a crossfitter. CW you have a great sense of humor while keeping an open mind. Bench....you were trolling....you know it, I know it, and everyone else knew it. Your comment was inappropriate, especially after numerous prior posts noted that crossfit was not for everyone due to one or more legitimate reasons. There was nothing "honest" about your opinion; it's equivalent to me saying meatheads can't run a 13.1 because they don't have the intestinal fortitude. </div></div>

I try to keep an open mind especially about fitness. I personally believe the compromises we make when shaping our bodies are no different than those that people make when choosing a set of scope features.

I'd love to try crossfit sometime, but I tend to stick to much more controlled environment exercises for a joint injury I suffered. There's obviously tons of strong proponents of crossfit that are world class athletes so that has to be taken into account.

I can respect it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I believe it's your opinion, and I may even agree with the sentiment, but when you say something like "it's a joke for weak minded people"

laugh.gif

smile.gif

</div></div>

Now that is funny....and I'm even a crossfitter. CW you have a great sense of humor while keeping an open mind. Bench....you were trolling....you know it, I know it, and everyone else knew it. Your comment was inappropriate, especially after numerous prior posts noted that crossfit was not for everyone due to one or more legitimate reasons. There was nothing "honest" about your opinion; it's equivalent to me saying meatheads can't run a 13.1 because they don't have the intestinal fortitude. </div></div>
again...not trolling...its a opinion...but thank you for prooving my point about the sensitive wittle midset of crossfit warriors....now run along and iron all of your under armour, and north face gear for your rigorous jumping session later
grin.gif

bench

OK - this went way uglier than it needed to go.

As I admitted earlier, I am a Crossfitter and even said I was a Kool Aid drinker from the CrossFit pop stand. But..., fitness and exercise regimens are highly personal and individual things. Body type, personality type, any number of factors determine what works for each person. CrossFit works for some. P90X works for some. Weights, cardio, aerobic, anaerobic - everything has it's place, but maybe not for everyone.

I have been Crossfitting for three years. I don't necessarily see me still doing CrossFit in another three years because my tastes, goals, etc., change. But when I started, it was new and produced results. But I am 50 years old and currently not working out due to rotator cuff tendinitis.

If you aren't doing anything and need to get into some exercise program, CrossFit is as good as any and better than most. But like any program, it is part of a personal process, not an end unto itself.

So rest your sphincters gentlemen and have a killer workout tomorrow - of whatever flavor you choose.

All the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I believe it's your opinion, and I may even agree with the sentiment, but when you say something like "it's a joke for weak minded people"

laugh.gif

smile.gif

</div></div>

again...not trolling...its a opinion...but thank you for prooving my point about the sensitive wittle midset of crossfit warriors....now run along and iron all of your under armour, and north face gear for your rigorous jumping session later
grin.gif

bench </div></div>

Not even worth my time...I'll leave him alone with his Twinkees and Big Gulp. To the OP give crossfit a try....you don't even need to join a crossfit gym. I purchased a used Olympic weight set for $150, built my own pull-up bar, dropped another $20 for a common weight kettlebell and I always have a piece of road to run on. As stated earlier, one of the key reasons individuals like joining the gym is for the motivation....you WILL be pushed by the instructors and other members. On days when the workout is shorter or due to my shift work I'll perform "2-a-days" with a crossfit workout before shift and a traditional workout after.

My first post on this site, and its full of good information. I would like to add that I think using crossfit as one piece of an overall puzzle is great. For us ADHD people it is constantly changing and keeps my interest. It isn't the only thing I do by any means, I run, bmx, skateboard, play basketball, make my own obstacle courses at playgrounds, and when I have the opportunity do some traditional lifting as well. I just find that when Im working 12 hour shifts and don't have a lot of time for exercise, doing a CF workout of the day or at least my own workout inspired by CF keeps me going and fit. The kettlebell ,ring, and wallball exercises alone are great to incorporate into other programs IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't help it, How do you know a SEAL when you meet them???? They will tell you, along with the work out of the day. </div></div>

haha. Good one.

I think crossfit is a fad, and will die off. Also, I hear about people getting injuries from crossfit way to often. I tried it for a while once, and felt like I was back at Darby when people were yelling at me. If that type of stuff motivates you, then do it.

Also, the entire "functional strength" thing is bullshit. What makes climbing a rope for time more "functional" than squatting? How many of you climb ropes every day? One should train for their own goals and purposes, whether that's to be a powerlifter or a long distance runner.

All I am saying, is a lot of crossfit people will hide behind the words, "Functional Fitness". I don't do crossfit anymore, and focus more on bodybuilding now, but I'll bet you I can climb a fucking rope just as well as the average crossfit dude.

Wow. Absolutely intense!

I give crossfit a thumbs up. I just started a few weeks ago and have pretty much been sore since I started.... There are some fine chicks too

Along the lines of crossfit is a program I purchased last year is Tacfit Commando ( a 9 month, bodywieght only program...for when you don't have access to a gym)... and the Tacfit Kettlebell routine. Both will "leave a mark" in strength and conditioning (you will get VERY LEAN..which also looks good for the more vain).. not so much for size, but that is not what I am after. He has a newer Tacfit Warrior routine that I haven't gotten.. I have my hands full with the 2 that I do have. I primarily just hunt elk now.. and the more size you have... the more oxygen you need... I would prefer supreme efficiency of use of that oxygen (especially at altitude)and Tacfit is perfect for what I want. And the workouts are short... no longer than 40 minutes. Each subsequent month builds on the last... just another tool.... and cheaper than a gym membership.

I learned some things when I researched CrossFit, there is definitely some knowledge floating around in their program. I also saw a plethora of things that I thought were silly, unnecessary, or flat out dangerous. Like that guy squatting on the ball in that picture with his knees in front of his feet. He's flirting with a knee injury there, just to add core work into his squats. I think CrossFit has to be approached with common sense, just like anything else. I took away a number of things to add to my workouts, and I'm glad I learned about it. Another influence was this site:
http://militaryathlete.com/index.php

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learned some things when I researched CrossFit, there is definitely some knowledge floating around in their program. I also saw a plethora of things that I thought were silly, unnecessary, or flat out dangerous. Like that guy squatting on the ball in that picture with his knees in front of his feet. He's flirting with a knee injury there, just to add core work into his squats. I think CrossFit has to be approached with common sense, just like anything else. I took away a number of things to add to my workouts, and I'm glad I learned about it. Another influence was this site:
http://militaryathlete.com/index.php

Jason </div></div>

+1 on this

It has a LOT of good things but there are some bad things, too. Also, CFer's are getting too arrogant about their training and shouldn't be. Crossfit is a good way to get in shape and stay in shape (provided you avoid some of the thing that give repetitive motion injuries) but it shouldn't be taken as a substitute for focused training in specifics if you want to excel at a particular sport. You can easily do your own version of it without doing some of the more risky exercises AND not have to put up with the attitude that is seen in some CF gyms.

I've been doing CF for a year and, for me, it is a great program. However, I recognize its limitations - I supplement with running and cycling for endurance. But my gym doesn't hold itself out as the "end all be all" of fitness, they simply try to challenge everyone who comes in - there are no big egos, no drill sergeant mentality and no crazy standing on a rubber ball doing overhead squats... We have lots of LEO and jiu jitsu/MMA guys as members and everyone is on the floor worked at the end of the session. Like any gym, the workout depends heavily on the quality of the instructors - Some CF gyms are probably better than others. Give it a try, it beats watching TV (post number one - i got sucked in by this topic. ha ha)

My secret for being in shape,

in order:

1. Eat right
2. Crossfit
3. Lift heavy
4. Sprints
5. long run (<-- not my choice)

There is never going to be a fool-proof workout plan but any good crossfit fit gym should incorporate everything I listed; however, just because a gym call's themselves crossfit doesn't mean they are worth a shit.

Crossfit will work but it is far and end all be all. There is some serious problems concerning the programming and sequencing with some of the workouts. These problems are significant in that at a minimum they are ineffective for their stated purpose and at their worst have a high potential to cause injury.

Getting a little bit older and tired of going to "gyms" I have really enjoyed following the advice of trainers like Dan John, Nate Green, Chris Shugart, Nick Tuminello, and Alwyn Cosgrove.

My secret for combat fitness, do stuff you do in combat. Put on your kit and climb run intervals, drag and carry heavy stuff, ruck, and do it in your uniform.
I've never been on a mission that required me to bench press 400lbs twice with at least a 5 minute bullshit session in between sets. But I'm sure we've all had to climb walls or buildings,run intervals (infil platform to obj, or building to building), walk long distances with heavy weight on our backs in wet pants and still be required to shoot accuratly when we get to the obj.
I do believe that our forearms are often neglected and are one of the first things to fatigue. Grip strength is also one of the most important aspects in shooting a fire arm unsuported, esp. a pistol.
I believe any physical training is better than no physical training. I personally; throughout my career, have tried crossfit, power lifting, endurance running, just regular weight lifting, and yoga.
I have become a firm believer in just emulating the actions you are most likely to find in your next combat situation. If you are hump long distances practice that if you are loading heavy ordanance on aircraft then you might power lift. As a sniper a leaner build (less excess muscle) means that I need less water and food to sustain myself over long duration surveillence, etc, etc, etc....
In summary, I prefer to PT in uniform with weapons and kit whenever possible and feasible. Sometimes it is sometimes it isn't.
This is not a fact, just my observations and opinions. Take it as you will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My secret for combat fitness, do stuff you do in combat. Put on your kit and climb run intervals, drag and carry heavy stuff, ruck, and do it in your uniform.
I've never been on a mission that required me to bench press 400lbs twice with at least a 5 minute bullshit session in between sets. But I'm sure we've all had to climb walls or buildings,run intervals (infil platform to obj, or building to building), walk long distances with heavy weight on our backs in wet pants and still be required to shoot accuratly when we get to the obj.
I do believe that our forearms are often neglected and are one of the first things to fatigue. Grip strength is also one of the most important aspects in shooting a fire arm unsuported, esp. a pistol.
I believe any physical training is better than no physical training. I personally; throughout my career, have tried crossfit, power lifting, endurance running, just regular weight lifting, and yoga.
I have become a firm believer in just emulating the actions you are most likely to find in your next combat situation. If you are hump long distances practice that if you are loading heavy ordanance on aircraft then you might power lift. As a sniper a leaner build (less excess muscle) means that I need less water and food to sustain myself over long duration surveillence, etc, etc, etc....
In summary, I prefer to PT in uniform with weapons and kit whenever possible and feasible. Sometimes it is sometimes it isn't.
This is not a fact, just my observations and opinions. Take it as you will.
</div></div>

J.J. definitely check out Dan John.....he has one particular workout called "Carrying Heavy Shit" that absolutely fries the forearms.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...fries the forearms...</div></div>

A cinder block in each hand will do that. Gloves are a good idea.
laugh.gif

WTG, Lindy.
Really? Ya finally have to say "KISS"

"David" by Michelangelo.
http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-5578780-michelangelo-s-david.php

The famous sculptor must've seen this physique earlier in order to have then later reproduced it in stone. So one may well argue a young man likely in Italy developed this physique, not with P-91xlr modulator, or squats on a partly inflated ball, which looks like a damned good way to cause permanent and total disability to the one on the ball and the faithful spotter, or with supplements, but with stones as weights or containers of sand or as Lindy wrote, blocks, and a diet of bread, vegetables and whatever else they ate.
By the way, do you know how I know we obsess about stuff to the extent we start missing the whole point? Because I do it too. A bullshitter can see another bullshitter coming a mile away. Every time.

It may not be for everybody, but so far it's working fine for me. I got a gym membership extended as a courtesy and started with the crossfit there.

My prior training experience was martial arts, amateur boxing/kickboxing, and running. Not much in terms of working with weights, especially olympic style lifting as called for in crossfit. The techniques are new to me but everyone is very cool about helping me out and making sure that I master the form first, then start adding weight. I always go into any gym with the goal of not getting hurt being first and foremost on the priority list.

I have seen some serious weight thrown in there, and other mindblowing shit like a dude doing pull ups with 110 lbs of plates dangling from his waist on a chain.

There are a lot of great workouts and many have been pointed out here. The variety, and the surprise of it is a huge element for me. Much like life, you never know what's coming at you.

There's no harm in giving crossfit a try, just stay within your limits and learn good form first. I like it, I'm showing great results from it, and I will be sticking with it for the forseeable future.

Make a sweat angel on the gym floor.

;-)

--Fargo007

Been doing crossfit for 1 year and following the Paleo Diet for over six months and I'm in the best overall shape of my life. I went from 170 to 155 and recently was able to bulk up to 160. I'm 36 and can still run the mile in 6 minutes, even though we don't run a lot. Going in, I was a good runner and very weak. Couldn't do pullups for shit. Now my strength has improved and I can keep up with my co-workers who are also doing crossfit. I even had a bad left shoulder going in and it hasn't gotten worse. Stretch very well before and after and don't go crazy with the weights and you will be fine. You will get into trouble if you don't stay in your lane with the proper weight for you.

I don't go to a crossfit gym, but I do crossfit at work and at home. It isn't the end all, be all workout, but it is great for what I do (LE). I'm in great shape and it has come in handy. The thing that has won me over is the quick recovery that I now have. I chased someone down and while we were breathing hard because we were at a full sprint, I recovered in seconds, while the other guy couldn't breathe for a while.

Now if I was trying to look like a body builder, then crossfit wouldn't be on top of the list. Crossfit is to get you in great overall shape. If you eat right, you will most likely get lean and muscular, but you won't win any bodybuilding contests.

I have a friend that started this about a year ago. I haven't seen him in a year and he blew up. Asked him what he was doing and he said cross fit. I'm starting tomorrow.

The crossfit philosophy I believe is the key here anyway. You don't even need to join a CF gym unless you crave some social aspect of the gym. The crossfit forum provides WOD (workouts of the day) with three difficult classifications and places to post your personal bests. A healthy mix of strength training and cardio with variety to keep it interesting and beneficial. Some people need others to motivate them and others have all they need within.

One thing that worries me is that many of the coaches aren't the best at perfecting form. I spent years perfecting many lifts while training for the US Olypmics. The two week training course is no where near sufficient prior to doing the workout. Also, crossfit uses the erg (stationary rowing machine) a lot for cardio. Their rowing form is beyond horrible. After a career ending injury in weightlifting I took up rowing while in college. No one would even listen to you unless you are a certified crossfit coach. All in all, I enjoy it.

There's a lot to be said for and against Crossfit. If you're new to working out I would suggest that you stay away from it. This is mainly due to what I have both seen and heard concerning the lifting form (or lack thereof) and the injuries associated with it. And you don't want to hurt yourself while you're lifting...PERIOD. If you feel like CrossFit is for you, first get involved in some strength training and cardio classes. This will afford you the opportunity to learn how to gain and keep proper lifting form and will give you a solid cardio base before you start into CrossFit.

At the gym that I attend, I recently had a guy tell me that I could kicks all his (CrossFit) friends' asses due to my lifting intensity and form. And this guy used to be a personal trainer and a CrossFit junkie. I'm not some bill-bad-ass; I'm just an average Joe that incorporates intensity and speed into his workouts. If I can do it, anybody can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a lot to be said for and against Crossfit. If you're new to working out I would suggest that you stay away from it. This is mainly due to what I have both seen and heard concerning the lifting form (or lack thereof) and the injuries associated with it. And you don't want to hurt yourself while you're lifting...PERIOD. If you feel like CrossFit is for you, first get involved in some strength training and cardio classes. This will afford you the opportunity to learn how to gain and keep proper lifting form and will give you a solid cardio base before you start into CrossFit.

At the gym that I attend, I recently had a guy tell me that I could kicks all his (CrossFit) friends' asses due to my lifting intensity and form. And this guy used to be a personal trainer and a CrossFit junkie. I'm not some bill-bad-ass; I'm just an average Joe that incorporates intensity and speed into his workouts. If I can do it, anybody can. </div></div>

CrossFit does have a lot of dynamic moves that need to be done properly. But that could be said about most workout routines/programs. I learned the CrossFit lifts like the cleans, snatches, squats, thrusters, etc, from watching a ton of videos on YouTube and practicing with very light weight and I have very good form. If someone is stupid enough not to do that, it is on them, not the program. One of my coworkers is one such guys. His form is horrible and he doesn't listen when we point it out to him. He just wants to RX all of his workouts. Stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a lot to be said for and against Crossfit. If you're new to working out I would suggest that you stay away from it. This is mainly due to what I have both seen and heard concerning the lifting form (or lack thereof) and the injuries associated with it. And you don't want to hurt yourself while you're lifting...PERIOD. If you feel like CrossFit is for you, first get involved in some strength training and cardio classes. This will afford you the opportunity to learn how to gain and keep proper lifting form and will give you a solid cardio base before you start into CrossFit.

At the gym that I attend, I recently had a guy tell me that I could kicks all his (CrossFit) friends' asses due to my lifting intensity and form. And this guy used to be a personal trainer and a CrossFit junkie. I'm not some bill-bad-ass; I'm just an average Joe that incorporates intensity and speed into his workouts. If I can do it, anybody can. </div></div>

CrossFit does have a lot of dynamic moves that need to be done properly. But that could be said about most workout routines/programs. I learned the CrossFit lifts like the cleans, snatches, squats, thrusters, etc, from watching a ton of videos on YouTube and practicing with very light weight and I have very good form. If someone is stupid enough not to do that, it is on them, not the program. One of my coworkers is one such guys. His form is horrible and he doesn't listen when we point it out to him. He just wants to RX all of his workouts. Stupid. </div></div>

And you're correct concerning getting the movement down before you start into heavier weight; many people just want to workout hardcore. Damn the correct form! However, my problem with the program lies in that the CrossFit coaches/trainers just don't seem to put as much emphasis on lifting correctly as compared to lifting quickly and getting good intensity out of the workout. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but that's what I've experienced.

I don't do cross fit but have clients who do. This is an off dead lift day exercise I developed, flipping a commercial truck tire. It won't replace good deads but is good for circuits. Should be a 22 1/2 inch truck tire.It's the size tire off a ladder truck or the like. They are about 3' in diameter and weigh a little over 100 lbs,no more than 150 for sure. I flip it about 50 yards, run a lap, set of push ups,squat thrusts or the like ,then flip it back to the start point,repeat 21 min.. All the muscle groups in the dead lift just not as heavy. Some of the guys I showed it to have incorporated it into their cross fit program

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a lot to be said for and against Crossfit. If you're new to working out I would suggest that you stay away from it. This is mainly due to what I have both seen and heard concerning the lifting form (or lack thereof) and the injuries associated with it. And you don't want to hurt yourself while you're lifting...PERIOD. If you feel like CrossFit is for you, first get involved in some strength training and cardio classes. This will afford you the opportunity to learn how to gain and keep proper lifting form and will give you a solid cardio base before you start into CrossFit.

CrossFit does have a lot of dynamic moves that need to be done properly. But that could be said about most workout routines/programs. I learned the CrossFit lifts like the cleans, snatches, squats, thrusters, etc, from watching a ton of videos on YouTube and practicing with very light weight and I have very good form. If someone is stupid enough not to do that, it is on them, not the program. One of my coworkers is one such guys. His form is horrible and he doesn't listen when we point it out to him. He just wants to RX all of his workouts. Stupid. </div></div>

And you're correct concerning getting the movement down before you start into heavier weight; many people just want to workout hardcore. Damn the correct form! However, my problem with the program lies in that the CrossFit coaches/trainers just don't seem to put as much emphasis on lifting correctly as compared to lifting quickly and getting good intensity out of the workout. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but that's what I've experienced. </div></div>

You are correct. Some guys focus too much on their times and don't focus on doing the lift properly. A lot of guys are adding a traditional lifting program or a Starting Trength Program to add strength. CrossFit is actually too random to build serious strength like those strength programs provide.