• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Crossbreed Holsters

Rick 324

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2012
Edgewood, NM
Alright Guys,

I need some help here. I am looking for a new concealed carry holster for me and my wife and I am considering going with the Crossbreed IWB holsters. Can anyone give me any likes dislikes for the holsters? I have no experience with them so any help would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone has used them and found something better please let me know what you guys think!

Semper Fi,
Rick

Re: Crossbreed Holsters

*tag*

I just bought a desantis IWB and after a couple weeks of wearing it, am thinking I should have spend some more $$$ and got something like a crossbreed.

Run a crossbreed on a Glock 17. It works with jeans, not well with dress cloths. I like my SOB and others better for dress. Go to a show and try everything on (with the red gun). Big thing with any IWB is retention. You want the gun in your hand not the holster and gun.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 303_enfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run a crossbreed on a Glock 17. It works with jeans, not well with dress cloths. I like my SOB and others better for dress. Go to a show and try everything on (with the red gun). Big thing with any IWB is retention. You want the gun in your hand not the holster and gun.

Good luck!</div></div>
What retention clips are you using on your Crossbreed?

I have a Supertuck and mini for the 17 also have a super for 1911.

I run the J clip on the mini for dress cloths. On the Super it's the standard steel with the decorative design (that everybody knows).

My local shop runs the Galco Kingtuk for under $55, so I was able to try it on before I purchased. I've been usuing it for all my M&Ps and can't figure out why I waited so long to pick one up. Retention is great. One handed holstering. There are multiple holes to move the belt clips adjusting the height that it sits and angle of the gun. It conceals my full size M&Ps better than any other single clip IWB holster I own.
If I can recall it took about a week for the leather to brake in and become really comfortable.
I'm a thinner build, 5'10 with a 32" waist and I can conceal a full size M&P while wearing a tshirt and jeans. Compacts are no problem, standing or sitting.
Hope it helps.
Semper Fi

I have a Supertuck and minituck like them both. Are there better holsters out there? Maybe but these have worked really well for me. I think you would be pleased with them

Semper Fi

I have a new found appreciation for my supertuck. I bought it a few years ago for my XD45 compact. That gun was replaced when I decided to give a 1911 a try. I've since switched into an XDM 40 3.8 compact, and started using my old supertuck again.

First off, the supertuck is a big holster. Mine is probably 9 inches or so front to rear. This accomplishes a couple things.

Adjustable cant. The attachment of the clips can be moved around to adjust the cant.

A bit of flexibility with the clips. Sometimes a holster just doesn't quite line up right with my belt loops. I can usually arrange this holster to ride just the way I want using either a front, rear or sometimes both clips anchored right next to a loop.

Thin. The clips are located off to the side of the gun as not to add to the bulk like a Galco Summer Comfort or a DeSantis Cozy Partner who's attachment point is stacked right up in the center of the gun.

Stability. Front to rear axial stability is good due to the wide attachment points. Rough sided leather really sticks to you which helps keep this thing planted as well. I like the look of smooth leather on the inside of a holster, but in use I find that rough leather works better and you can't feel the difference. Smooth on the side that touches the gun, rough on the side that touches you.

I got the large version and did my own "combat cut". It originally had leather between the grip and me, but it impeded my draw so I cut it down. There is still leather between the slide and me. More controlled draw and just as comfortable. Most importantly I didn't pay extra to have them cut it, and it's just how I want it.

My clips are the old black textured kydex ones without their logo. Very stiff, secure and discreet. I don't like the gaudy new ones with their logo. They scream gun. Mine work well. Easy on, easy off, and not a chance of slipping off accidentally.

Drawbacks.... Hmmmmm. Nope.

This should be a $50ish dollar holster. It's a flat piece of leather with some molded kydex and a few rivets. I think the price is getting lofty. I bought mine used for 60-70. I don't remember.

Overall, it's a buy. Maybe it's just my flavor of the month, but 9/10 times I'm grabbing this holster.

My Crossbreed Supertuck is part of my EDC package. I've been wearing it for over 2 years and it is by far the most comfortable holster I own. The kydex will fit my M&P 9mm and M&P Shield. Retention is great, but draw speed is excellent. Everything Magstang said is pretty much spot on.

Highly recommended!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonnyHawes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the Hybrid style (AKA Crossbreed) I really prefer White Hat Holsters to Crossbreed.

Ive owned both, and my reasoning is just small little details. </div></div>

Me too. The White Hat's are made with thinner leather and their kydex design is different which thins out the holster with the gun making it not stick out as far as the crossbread. I had both at the same time and sent the crossbread back.

Hands down, all day comfort from a Crossbreed. I got the horse leather and it's worth it. Forget I'm wearing it except when I sit against car seat bolster.

You may be able to find something equal to a Crossbreed, but probably nothing better---have not tried "White Hat"

I own three Crossbreeds, and carry daily. I could not say one bad thing about them, well I wish they were cheaper, but I wish everything was cheaper!

I use a Comp-tac Minatour for my Glock 22. after about a week or so of wearing it, it became as comfortable as an old shoe. I carry it every waking moment. It has great adjustability for height and angle and works great with dress or casual clothes. I am 6'5" 265 and haven't had anyone spot it while tucked with a magwell and mag extensions. Also check out ASM1 on here. He is a vendor here and can make Kydex custom designs specific to you ,i.e. if you run a certain light, laser or need protection from a warm can on your sidearm
wink.gif
Just throwing ideas out. Hope this helps.

I like the crossbreed design, but their price was almost as much as a Milt Sparks VM2, the wait time was long at the time as well. So I looked around & got a Thesis Holster, just like the Crossbreed, made with horsehide, very short wait time, great price, & comes with a guarantee to allow you to wear it for 2 weeks & if you don't like it, he will refund your money. Also he doesn't charge for the combat cut.
Tommy is a really great guy to deal with.

Wow, high praise for this holster.

I bought mine in 2007 when crossbreed was a nobody. Liked the holster but switched to pocket carry after about 1 year.

Mine had the old plastic belt clips. One broke after about 8 months so I bent myself up a new one out of a little sheet metal. When the kydex holster cracked, I called crossbreed, who told me to send it back.

Two weeks later a brand new one was returned to me - with the new metal clips.

Good holster, holds a pistol really steady, and that big slab of leather prevents any "digging in".

I think I gave ~$60 for mine. Worth it.

For much more, I think I'd DIY one....very simple.

Just fyi, take a look at Raven concealment holsters

I'm currently carrying a FNP-9 in an Old Faithful holster. It'd a make it yourself holster (comes with all the pieces) and is nearly identical to a cross breed. I Love the thing, and for $35 you can't go wrong.

A little of advice on IWB holsters. Make sure you have room in the waist of the jeans or pants you are wearing for an extra 2-3 inches of girth. Otherwise they will not be comfortable-especially while sitting.

You won't get a better bang for the buck than Old Faithful in my limited experience....

I run a supertuck and it is great. Comfortable and solid retention all day long.

+1 for White Hat holsters. They also make it where you can buy replacement kydex for other pistol models without having to buy a complete new holster. Can also change out the leather to make it a belt slide owb when it's an option.